Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

*sigh* 1 more week?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bconver
Photos are not lost, we have them all. We are dealing with a networking issue that occured after the migration that is causing interference between the live web server and the database server. We will get it resolved.

brent
Internet Brands
Thanks the update Brent!!!

Ken
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Outstanding :-)
It took my phone browser a couple of tries but I can log in with my phone now.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM
collector1231

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
No software upgrade in the history of computers has ever gone without issues. And this is no exception. Getting RCU ported over to vBulletin has been a 2 year project that has more manhours involved than I care to count. We do apologize for any problems that have come up during this upgrade, but please know that we are working hard to get all the bugs taken care of and worked out.

Ken

My software update for Windows XP to 7 went flawless! Does that count?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

IT IS ALIIIIIIVE!
OK, first impressions. I'm a member of a lot of forum sites so it's just another one to get used to but feels like a few others with its own tweaks.
The drop-down menu kind of sucks as it goes to the top instead of letting you move up or down from where you're at. If you're one of the basement dwellers (boat forums) like I am, it's annoying. It's easier to use buttons at the top of the screen than to use the drop-down menu.
Learn the tricks and it isn't too bad here, it'll just take some getting used to.
OK, off to do some more exploring.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far, I like it. And it has not frozen up yet!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmot
So far, I like it. And it has not frozen up yet!
My Forums does not work.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by JNorton
My Forums does not work.
What happens when you click on "My Forums"? I've heard this from several members and most of them turned out to be the same thing. When you click on "My Forums" it come up to your settings and have a page that says "Subscribed threads with new posts". If you scroll the page down below that you should see your subscribed forums. Take a look and let me know if that's what you have.

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 AM
AMA 74894

I had trouble with my forums at first too...
It kept bringing me to the old site / forums. It would flip between recognizing me as being logged in and not being logged in.
After clearing my cookies and closing all other open browsers it eventually kept me logged in.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things seem to be working now, as far as forums and photos for me.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 AM
topspin

Looks like the site is up and running. sort of. I like the new format and I think the user base will expand as a result. Thank's RCU for improving this website.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Ok, so I have been waiting to ask this question.

Comparing this site to other sites, as it works on my computer. In the past RCU has been easy to use and looked great, the other site RCG looks a little coat toon-ish but has a few advantages to RCU. My main use is posting build logs so time is important. On RCU it takes me 15-30min to post a 12 pic page. On RCG it takes me 5 min to do the same.
So RCU has (had) a great look and was ok as far as posting pics and videos. RCG looks cartoony and is much easier to use as far as posting. I can post 12 pics in the time it takes me to post one pic on RCU. Videos are much easier on RCG, text is simple. RCU is complicated and doesn't work all the time. So for me I liked the way it looked before and wished it had the simplicity as RCG has for posting. I haven't tried to post on the new RCU, wasn't working when I tried. My first impressions are that it looks a little like RCG does, hope it works as good.

Thoughts?

Tb

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 08-07-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Ok, so I have been waiting to ask this question.

Comparing this site to other sites, as it works on my computer. In the past RCU has been easy to use and looked great, the other site RCG looks a little coat toon-ish but has a few advantages to RCU. My main use is posting build logs so time is important. On RCU it takes me 15-30min to post a 12 pic page. On RCG it takes me 5 min to do the same.
So RCU has (had) a great look and was ok as far as posting pics and videos. RCG looks cartoony and is much easier to use as far as posting. I can post 12 pics in the time it takes me to post one pic on RCU. Videos are much easier on RCG, text is simple. RCU is complicated and doesn't work all the time. So for me I liked the way it looked before and wished it had the simplicity as RCG has for posting. I haven't tried to post on the new RCU, wasn't working when I tried. My first impressions are that it looks a little like RCG does, hope it works as good.

Thoughts?

Tb
We now have the same picture posting abilities that RCG has. As a side note, we migrated to vBulletin which is the same software that RCG is ran on. As far as a the cartoonish look, we know what you mean here. We are trying to avoid that with the setup of RCU. They have tried to make the new RCU look as much like the old site as possible. I guess we need to do a little more work. Please don't think we are ignoring this as we want to do what we can to make our members happy. So once we get past the big bumps in the road we can look at things like this changed. All we ask is that you bear with us while we work out the bugs.

As far as build thread go, I agree with you 100%. I have done many build threads in the past and the 12 picture limit was a total nightmare. Also being limited to the thumbnails showing up at the bottom of the post really killed a build thread. I've had a couple of build threads that I have been thinking about starting but haven't because of these issues. With the options we have now I am really getting excited about actually doing a build thread now. I think that with our new image options build thread will look great!!!

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
TonyBuilder

Ken, I'm all in with RCU and don't have any complaints. I just want to have a working, reliable site to do my build logs on. I am looking forward to this new RCU,

thanks

TB
Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 AM
TonyBuilder

So I posted my first pages in my build diary, the upgrade is awesome. I can now complete a post in afraction of the time then in the old RCU, even faster then RCG Only issue is all the old pages only show the pics as files and you haveto click on them to see them. Is the going to be fixed or is this theway it is?

Thanks

TB
Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
We now have the same picture posting abilities that RCG has. As a side note, we migrated to vBulletin which is the same software that RCG is ran on. As far as a the cartoonish look, we know what you mean here. We are trying to avoid that with the setup of RCU. They have tried to make the new RCU look as much like the old site as possible. I guess we need to do a little more work. Please don't think we are ignoring this as we want to do what we can to make our members happy. So once we get past the big bumps in the road we can look at things like this changed. All we ask is that you bear with us while we work out the bugs.

As far as build thread go, I agree with you 100%. I have done many build threads in the past and the 12 picture limit was a total nightmare. Also being limited to the thumbnails showing up at the bottom of the post really killed a build thread. I've had a couple of build threads that I have been thinking about starting but haven't because of these issues. With the options we have now I am really getting excited about actually doing a build thread now. I think that with our new image options build thread will look great!!!

Ken
Personally, I think you guys are doing a great job. Any software transition is bound to have major hiccups, Keep at it and don't let the B, P & M whiners get to you. VBulletin is the way to go and everyone will get used to it eventually.

Last edited by Hemikiller; 08-08-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 AM
BadSplice

I dont suppose there's any way to make the picture interface the way it was before is there? One of the best things about RCU that made it stand out from all other sites was the way you could click on a picture to enlarge it, then click again to shrink it. Honestly I hate any kind of change in appearance and interface, but that change makes me the saddest here. Is there any way to get back to the better interface?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
So I posted my first pages in my build diary, the upgrade is awesome. I can now complete a post in afraction of the time then in the old RCU, even faster then RCG Only issue is all the old pages only show the pics as files and you haveto click on them to see them. Is the going to be fixed or is this theway it is?

Thanks

TB
Tony,
The programmers had an issues with the thumbnails for all attachments (which included uploaded images) and have started the process of correcting this. They started this yesterday and said it could take 24-48 hours to complete. Once they have that done the thumbnails should be back in place. I know this is a huge task for them as they reported there are over 20 million attachments in the RCU system!!

Ken
Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by BadSplice
I dont suppose there's any way to make the picture interface the way it was before is there? One of the best things about RCU that made it stand out from all other sites was the way you could click on a picture to enlarge it, then click again to shrink it. Honestly I hate any kind of change in appearance and interface, but that change makes me the saddest here. Is there any way to get back to the better interface?
As far as I understand this is what is the system will work once we get all the attachments re-indexed.

Testing image upload

The uploaded image should be thumbnailed and once you click on it it should expand out like the old system did.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1906220  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now if only it would let me sign off. I keep trying, and it keeps asking are you sure? and I say yes and then it says; "you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave"
Old 08-08-2013, 04:25 PM
BadSplice

It does expand, but then if you click again it makes it the whole page instead of shrinking it again. You have to go and find the little close tab. If you try to go back, it takes you to the previous page before the picture. I am used to seeing this elsewhere, but one of my favorite reasons for visiting RCU over other forums was that you click to expand, click anywhere on the image to shrink again. It was just so natural.

I guess I will sit back and wait to see how this ends up, since it sounds like its still a work in progress.

And to make sure it doesnt always get lost in the complaints... Thanks very much to all of you guys at RCU for all the work you put into these forums! I have enjoyed coming here for nearly a decade now and look forward to years more. I think you do an awesome job and this is a great forum.

Last edited by BadSplice; 08-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:17 AM
TonyBuilder

Everything is working great and once they get the image thing worked out (images from the old site) thissite will rock. I am really enjoying the posting functionality, it is I would say better then RCG now. The only thing that is slightly off is the text editing. It is harder to get the paragraph breaks to be consistent. On RCG I can place my paragraph breaks where I want them and they copy over from word, RCU it is all mixed up, some words are linked together and I have to manually edit it and cant always get what I want, otherwise it rocks,thanks for making this happen.

TB
Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I'm still having problems with the login/logout issue. This is aggravating. Already done the cookie clean, several times. Cartoon layout on rcg, really? Doesnt bother me a bit. The content is whats important.
Edwin
Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 AM
AMA 74894

Originally Posted by Edwin
I'm still having problems with the login/logout issue. This is aggravating. Already done the cookie clean, several times. Cartoon layout on rcg, really? Doesnt bother me a bit. The content is whats important.
Edwin
Edwin, once you're at a page that shows you as logged in, if you then get to a page that shows you logged out, try hitting the refresh button...
I had a heck of a time at first with pages that showed me as logged out.
Hope that helps, apologies if you've already tried that.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM
BadSplice

Well its been some time, and I still really don't like the look, the signing in issues, or the picture interface. I know it sucks having to undo work that you've done.... but is there any possible way you guys can go back to the old format? That was good, this is awful.

Last edited by BadSplice; 08-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by BadSplice
Well its been some time, and I still really don't like the look, the signing in issues, or the picture interface. I know it sucks having to undo work that you've done.... but is there any possible way you guys can go back to the old format? That was good, this is awful.
Unfortunately going back to the old system isn't an option. The software that RCU used to be ran with was produced by a company that went out of business many years ago. so there are no updates, upgrades, or support for that software package. That is why the old RCU lacked many features that other forums had (and many members asked for), and had no possibilities of ever getting. I understand that there are some frustrations with this new software, but I can assure you that our tech team is working as hard as they can to resolve all of the issues that have come up. Before too long all of this will be history and we'll be back to running smoothly again. We do appreciate your patience during our growing pains.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.