Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=579

I have been working on my Cub . Yesterday I put the front seat in, then struggled with the rear rudder pedals. They have strong springs that hold them forward. You have to compress the spring and hold it and start the nuts through the inspection hole.
Can't get it to just link So you just have to type it sorry.

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 09-02-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Hey acdii how about posting something on that Jug I'm sure the rest of the guys around here would love to see too!

Donny, not much building going on around here with the new job. I spent last week in D.C. for training, Hopefully on Monday I may get a shot at the DR1. This weekend the wife has me taking down the old aluminum gazebo with the cloth cover the squirrels seem to like to chew and replacing it with a steel roofed gazebo she picked up for half price at HD (still wasn't cheap but makes her happy). At least I won't have to replace the cover every year from those little red haired domestic ecoterrorist around here!.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:00 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hey acdii how about posting something on that Jug I'm sure the rest of the guys around here would love to see too!

Donny, not much building going on around here with the new job. I spent last week in D.C. for training, Hopefully on Monday I may get a shot at the DR1. This weekend the wife has me taking down the old aluminum gazebo with the cloth cover the squirrels seem to like to chew and replacing it with a steel roofed gazebo she picked up for half price at HD (still wasn't cheap but makes her happy). At least I won't have to replace the cover every year from those little red haired domestic ecoterrorist around here!.
If SWMBO is not happy, no one is! My little ecoterriosts are grey, but same issues, they destroy my bird feeders and nothing will deter them.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by spaceworm
If SWMBO is not happy, no one is! My little ecoterriosts are grey, but same issues, they destroy my bird feeders and nothing will deter them.
A shotgun will but the city takes a dim view of using a 12 gauge in the city limits.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got a Harbor Freight catalog in the mail yesterday if anyone is in the market for 12" ratcheting clams they have them on sale for $2 this month. I'm thinking of picking up some more you can never have too many clamps.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:51 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well it was a beautiful day for flying. Light winds, steady out of the NE, 74 temps, low humidity. Flew my Something Extra on some old fuel I am trying to get rid of, its a mix of Wildcat and SIG, and the engines do not like it, too much castor oil. Switched out the jug for a fresh bottle of Wildcat. Plane flew much better. Flew my P-51, started that one with the old fuel, it would not idle and smoked like crazy at WOT. Switched that out to Wildcat, huge difference. I have never tuned that engine since the day I got it, it guzzles the juice, so I might spend some bench time getting it dialed in like my others. I have a 72 Saito in the SE, and I can fly about 20 minutes on a 10 ounce tank, but lucky to get 5 on the 16 ounce tank in the Mustang with the Saito 125.

Flew the Mustang, perfect take off, handles very nicely, had a picture perfect landing, perfect glide slope, nose high, and just as the left wheel touched the grass, WHAM it came to a stop on its nose. Apparently I hit a slight hill in the grass with the left wheel, hard enough to actually bend the Robarts strut. At least it's a testament to the landing gear mods I did, had I not, that would have most likely been a torn out wing instead.

I then got my Jug going, took a bit to start the DLE30, one of the guys had a big motor starter, so he got that out and I got the motor going, ran good. Ground handling is surprisingly very good for being a warbird, unlike the Mustang. Not once did it want to pitch its nose over. The take off was smooth and graceful, a little wing rocking as it needed a touch right trim on the rudder, and off it went. Got it trimmed out, flew a few circuits did a couple rolls, a immelman, and a few other moves, but nothing harsh, then dropped the gear, and slowed it down, dropped flaps and watched it balloon up, need to dial in a bit of down elevator on the mix, so I retracted the flaps and made my approach. It came in so nice that I landed it without flaps. What a nice flying plane.

So other than some fine tuning on the DLE30 for a better midrange, it was surging, causing the plane to porpoise at just under half throttle, and if you notice the hole on the top, that used to be a hatch for accessing the switches, it came off in flight, the magnets aren't as strong as I assumed, so have to make a new hatch and a better way of hinging and securing it.

Today was ARF day for me, all three were ARF, my kit built P-51 isnt anywhere near ready for flight, nor is my Corsair, and my LT-40 needs work, too much flogging has weakened the ailerons. My other planes are in my trailer and it is blocked by my travel trailer, so just took what I could fit in my truck.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
It sure has gotten quiet around here, has everyone pooped out?
I've been busy in England getting my 1974 Rover P6 ready for its trip to France. Me and my mate, a professional automotive engineer, have replaced all four shock absorbers, overhauled the gearchange mechanism, replaced the gearbox output shaft oil seal, replaced the radiator and fitted an auxilliary electric fan to stop it overheating in stationary traffic. We give it a polish today, fit a new boot (trunk) lid with a spare wheel mount, fit the rear newly-chromed bumper (fender?), change the oil and filters then it's off for a road test. We leave for France on 7th September taking in a classic car event in Troyes in the Champagne before we head south to my home in La Creuse. After a few days R&R we will return to the UK in my two-tonne van to collect the last of my stuff.

On an aeromodelling note, I have received my Supra Fly 45 kit which I intend to use with the OS 40 VFR which I bought at the vide grenier a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-02-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:58 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I am pleased to see there is life here! Yesterday the attendance at the big bird meet wasn't spectacular but one could not tell from the flying, something in the air all day and the war birds flew in groups and kept things stirred up. there were at least three b-17s.. turbines and 3d flyers
I did not take any pictures but should have.
maybe today my brain will be in gear and I'll get some pics. the current leaders of the club are doing a fine job.

Reading your input here it's plain to see there is plenty of activity going on truck restoration full scale j3 cubs restoration, new jobs traveling, models flying, Oh! let us not forget honeydo's.

Them squirrels can be had with a nice air rifle, I keep one here along with my 22's a 30 caliber carbine and 12 gauge shotgun. don't see many squirrels but the nieghbors dogs stay after the rabbits living under my shed and the coyotes are after everything.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:01 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I've been busy in England getting my 1974 Rover P6 ready for its trip to France....
Pics of your P6, please. I don't think i know of that one? Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
AH Frogeye Sprite, MGB, AH Sprite Mk II, MG Midget, Austin America, Tri Spitfire, TR4a; RIP all
Old 09-03-2016, 03:24 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

The 2016 big bird meet in Austin TEX. is history, and a very successful one. I arrived late (honeydo's) but was told the spectators watching at the safety fence were 5 to 6 deep with no space to walk around. the site was at it's max capacity. forget parking spaces.

I saw more women spectators than ever before and it stayed that way all day.

The flight line was maxed out also and has our leaders worried about space in the future. these pictures were taken after more the 75% of the pilots had departed.,,, the zero in pic 3 and the riseing sun flag was involved in a mass warbird flight yesterday use your imagination as to the rhetoric.

A good time was had by all!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0494.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	2179434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0496.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	2179435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0497.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	3.79 MB
ID:	2179436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0498.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	2179437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0499.JPG
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	2179438   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0500.JPG
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	2179443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0501.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	2179447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0503.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	2179448  

Last edited by donnyman; 09-03-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The P6 Rover, often referred to as the Rover 2000, was a four door saloon, (sedan) produced between 1963 and 1976. I am away from home and do not have a picture of my car in the memory of my laptop, however, if I can get the cybernetics to work, here is a picture of someone else's! This car is a 1972 model with the 2 litre engine. Mine is fitted with the later 2.2 litre engine and is finished in a royal blue. Otherwise it is substantially the same as the car in the picture. A 3.5 litre Buick V8 was another engine option.

Sorry, don't seem to be able to get the link to work. Just try googling P6 Rover.

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw&type=ff.48.w10.dsp.04-03.gb.avg

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-04-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:58 AM
spaceworm

The P6 Rover, often referred to as the Rover 2000, was a four door saloon, (sedan) produced between 1963 and 1976. I am away from home and do not have a picture of my car in the memory of my laptop, however, if I can get the cybernetics to work, here is a picture of someone else's! This car is a 1972 model with the 2 litre engine. Mine is fitted with the later 2.2 litre engine and is finished in a royal blue. Otherwise it is substantially the same as the car in the picture. A 3.5 litre Buick V8 was another engine option.
Sorry, don't seem to be able to get the link to work. Just try googling P6 Rover.
https://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw&type=ff.48.w10.dsp.04-03.gb.avg
Ah yes, I know the Rover 2000 and 3500. Removable body panels and a multitude of safety features. The new Hyundai Santa Fe has the feature of the engine sliding under the car instead of back into the passenger space, like the Rover did way back then. Thanks. Too bad the British suffered the labor problems decimating their auto industry.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Ah yes, I know the Rover 2000 and 3500. Removable body panels and a multitude of safety features. The new Hyundai Santa Fe has the feature of the engine sliding under the car instead of back into the passenger space, like the Rover did way back then. Thanks.
I hope that with 44 years passing, things would have improved.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:12 AM
acdii

Well thats a good safety feature. Having that huge mass of metal go under you instead of into you is the way to go.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Ah yes, I know the Rover 2000 and 3500. Removable body panels and a multitude of safety features. The new Hyundai Santa Fe has the feature of the engine sliding under the car instead of back into the passenger space, like the Rover did way back then. Thanks. Too bad the British suffered the labor problems decimating their auto industry.
Actually we now produce more cars than we ever have. As well as Jaguar-Landrover, who have just opened a new engine plant close to where I used to live, there are factories which produce Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans. Do you see a pattern here?

Rover were shafted by asset strippers but to be honest there was not a space for the last Rovers in an already overcrowded car market, and without government help the company would have gone to the wall anyway. I say this as a one-time owner of a 2002 Rover 75 which I kept for twelve years.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-04-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:32 AM
spaceworm

Actually we now produce more cars than we ever have. As well as Jaguar-Landrover, who have just opened a new engine plant close to where I used to live, there are factories which produce Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans. Do you see a pattern here?....
Just curious, what is your daily driver now? Thanks
Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

VW LT28 van!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Does it look like this? If I recall correctly the design started out as the Triumph 2000.

Name:	Rover2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	1,018.9 KB
ID:	2179840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rover.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	2179841  
Old 09-06-2016, 06:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

Actually we now produce more cars than we ever have. As well as Jaguar-Landrover, who have just opened a new engine plant close to where I used to live, there are factories which produce Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans. Do you see a pattern here?

Rover were shafted by asset strippers but to be honest there was not a space for the last Rovers in an already overcrowded car market, and without government help the company would have gone to the wall anyway. I say this as a one-time owner of a 2002 Rover 75 which I kept for twelve years.
The Japanese manufactures assemble a lot of cars in the US too. I think it is a way of lower costs and tariffs.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes Flyer my car is similar to those shown in your pictures except these are both fitted with the V8 engine and manual transmission. The vinyl roofs give that away! Mine is blue without a vinyl roof. I 've spent over £500 in the last week getting it ready for the trip, having bought new front calipers, a new alternator, new gearchange components and new rear tyres for it!

The P6 Rover was an exclusively Rover product and nothing to do with the Triumph Motor Company but they were both absorbed into British Leyland by 1974 in an attempt to rationalise the British Motor Industry. It didn't work.

I understand that Kawasaki had a motor cycle factory somewhere in the USA and that at one stage they made more motor cycles than all of the rest of the American factories added together. Wouldn't swear to the truth of it mind you!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Yes Flyer my car is similar to those shown in your pictures except these are both fitted with the V8 engine and manual transmission. The vinyl roofs give that away! Mine is blue without a vinyl roof. I 've spent over £500 in the last week getting it ready for the trip, having bought new front calipers, a new alternator, new gearchange components and new rear tyres for it!

The P6 Rover was an exclusively Rover product and nothing to do with the Triumph Motor Company but they were both absorbed into British Leyland by 1974 in an attempt to rationalise the British Motor Industry. It didn't work.

I understand that Kawasaki had a motor cycle factory somewhere in the USA and that at one stage they made more motor cycles than all of the rest of the American factories added together. Wouldn't swear to the truth of it mind you!
So yours would be more like this earlier one with the spare mounted to the boot lid?

Name:	rover-2000.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2179917  
Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

The boot mounted spare was an optional extra, I'm not sure when it was introduced. Mine does have a the spare wheel on the boot lid but I only fitted it two days ago.

My car is not an early model. They were built from 1963 to 1976 and mine is a 1974 model. Mine is a so-called Mark 2 or Series 2 car which was introduced in 1970. They are easily distiguishable from the earlier cars as they have a plastic grill, a re-designed bonnet with bulges in it and two stainless steel strips down the side of the car.

The car in your last post is a Series 1. It has no strips down the side and would have an aluminium grill but you can't see the front of the car in the picture! A 3.5 litre Mark I is highly sought after. They were only produced between 1968 and 1970.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:19 PM
acdii

LOL this thread is turning into another Saito thread. Veering off into tangents. Planes, trains, and automobiles, except for the train part. Saw a nice little HO scale 4-6-6-4 locomotive the other day.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:30 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by acdii
LOL this thread is turning into another Saito thread. Veering off into tangents. Planes, trains, and automobiles, except for the train part. Saw a nice little HO scale 4-6-6-4 locomotive the other day.
Bought my 4 year old grandson a G gauge train set. His mom said there was no room for it at her house, so now it is set up on my dining room table using extensions to fit it on. May have to build an extra room on the house just for it. I will be glad when he takes up my RC obsession, although he is "flying" coaxial mini helis now.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Bought my 4 year old grandson a G gauge train set. His mom said there was no room for it at her house, so now it is set up on my dining room table using extensions to fit it on. May have to build an extra room on the house just for it. I will be glad when he takes up my RC obsession, although he is "flying" coaxial mini helis now.
It could be worse. The wife decided several years ago that she wanted a train to run around the Christmas tree during the holidays. Fast forward several years and we now have:
1) A German styled 0-4-0 yard engine with a Christmas themed powered tender w/sound card
2) A Pennsy 2-6-0 Mogul w/sound card equipped tender
3) A Christmas patterned Mogul w/sound card equipped tender
4) 20+ Christmas themed cars
5) 2 Christmas themed caboose
6) 70+ feet of track with multiple switches and crossings that covers most of the living room floor
7) Several assorted buildings, people and animals
8) An engineer that has to set up and run everything for her
9) A serious power shortage due to having a single power supply for everything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.