Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:44 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally figured out how to make a URL, on YouTube. Here is how they make RC fields in Australia.

https://youtu.be/z6uocVbyoXM
Old 04-09-2017, 03:47 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Then my apologies for misunderstanding. Kind of difficult to figure the emotional context of one's post, when all that is seen is what is written. Glad to hear it all worked out. As far as the guard goes, he did what he did as required. Yes, it seems that the friendliness of military and government installations has changed over the years. 40 years ago, there was a whole different perspective. There wasn't so much of this distrust and suspicion that we see nowadays.

Just recently the FAA posted a ban against "drones" on US military bases. Used to be that each military department and base commander determined the level of security. I gather by this that no longer is hobbyists on military bases welcomed, even though they are military members in good standing. They banned us from the national parks, now they ban us from the services.

I digress .... Glad to hear that it all worked out for you, and thankful toward the RAF for assisting you.
I can understand the need to ban drones on military installations, though I must say I don't care for it, BUT! Drones present a whole new problem to the militatry, things occur at military bases that are secret one way or another and drones can be a detriment to that type of activity as they can track, record, and deliver things to a specific point with great accuracy ones imagination can see the danger in that with the terrorist situation.

one can't be too cautious with the number of nuts running around with bombs to say nothing about information gathering. consider the pictures taken by the Japanese to assist the attack on pearl harbor, a drone could have provided infinitely better data. unfortunately drones present a major threat to the security of all nations and I fear for the future.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:46 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by LJE4357
Finally figured out how to make a URL, on YouTube. Here is how they make RC fields in Australia.

must be for RC sub base.

I spent the entire day yesterday enjoying a pattern contest. the electrics dominated the field. Two aircraft used countarotating prop setups even the fuel two strokers of which only two entered, were quite quiet. It appeared to me that technologly is quite dominate. in regard to weight management and aerodynamics. the small size of the electric motors produce massive amounts of power for these birds with a minimum amount of effort and no noise. vertical uplines seemed to be accomplished with a simple throttle advance, I definately watched acceleration in the vertical plane, power is no longer a problem. battery chargers looked like small laptop computers. some quite complicated.
internal combustion has a competitor that is running rampant.

We had cross winds all day up to twenty mph but only one incident of landing off the runway, all other landings were handled well though a bit bumpy. I look forward to a resurgence of pattern flying, it demands a good deal of disipline and commitment. things found lacking now days.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 AM
donnyman

must be for RC sub base.

I spent the entire day yesterday enjoying a pattern contest. the electrics dominated the field. Two aircraft used countarotating prop setups even the fuel two strokers of which only two entered, were quite quiet. It appeared to me that technologly is quite dominate. in regard to weight management and aerodynamics. the small size of the electric motors produce massive amounts of power for these birds with a minimum amount of effort and no noise. vertical uplines seemed to be accomplished with a simple throttle advance, I definately watched acceleration in the vertical plane, power is no longer a problem. battery chargers looked like small laptop computers. some quite complicated.
internal combustion has a competitor that is running rampant.

We had cross winds all day up to twenty mph but only one incident of landing off the runway, all other landings were handled well though a bit bumpy. I look forward to a resurgence of pattern flying, it demands a good deal of disipline and commitment. things found lacking now days.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:03 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I like electric, I just don't like the batteries. They are also quite expensive for good ones, and cheap ones can become bombs if not handled with extreme caution. I store mine in an ammo can. I have one pair for my Twin Otter that are 8000mah 3S. Huge, so you can imagine the destruction if one lights off in the wrong place.

The only planes I find electric just don't work in are Warbirds. I mean, a Warbird has that SOUND! A nice 4 stroke in a Warbird just can't be beat. Or an over sized 4 stroke in a Cub flying at scale speeds just completes the picture.

Speaking of Warbirds, picked up a pair of 4 stroke Gas engines for it. This is going to be one sweet sounding plane when it flies! They have short stacks but are not that loud. I may come up with some sort of exhaust setup to pipe it out the scale locations, wont know until I get the nacelles built and the engine mounted to see where it sits.

Here is a 50CC sized Mustang with the same engine that I got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2HCdUgmy8w
Old 04-09-2017, 06:44 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I can understand the need to ban drones on military installations, though I must say I don't care for it, BUT! Drones present a whole new problem to the militatry, things occur at military bases that are secret one way or another and drones can be a detriment to that type of activity as they can track, record, and deliver things to a specific point with great accuracy ones imagination can see the danger in that with the terrorist situation.
The problem is they consider our RC aircraft as drones.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By definition, all unmanned vehicles are drones so, if the the order states drones are prohibited, that means all unmanned vehicles are not allowed.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 PM
donnyman

The drone situation isn't pleasant but we are still very fortunate to have what we do and to live in relative safety. Like I said earlier I fear for the future especially if we as americans don't put a stop to the senseless distruction around the world.

The hard stance we may be forced to take is scarey, yet not as scarey as a bombing near you. If I had it my way Trump's recent actions would look very tame. I don't think we should hesitate to take out terrorist. If limiting my model flying assist in keeping my family safe I am for it......... though I will do a lot of grumbling.

I may have to get off my "duff" and knock the rust off my flyers, the flying I witnessed today was awesome. I was blown away by a knife edge loop with a four point roll on top then a knife edge "m" which I though was a goofed flight manuver to my untrained eye. just to name a few fantastic manuvers. Yep! I gotta get back on the sticks.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:23 PM
donnyman

ACDii

I am full agreement on the sound thing, a silent warbird leaves me feeling a little neglected. I thought the same thing with my cessna 310 only two flat twins or better would do so I will be useing FS 160's as soon as I can find some L.G. I can afford.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I had a successful flight with the BE2 yesterday and as it was the centenary of the start of the Battle of Arras, we drank a toast to the Canadian Army.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 PM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney
By definition, all unmanned vehicles are drones so, if the the order states drones are prohibited, that means all unmanned vehicles are not allowed.
Does that include folded paper airplanes? It's an unmanned vehicles after it's folded. How about kites, and balloons. About the only thing I know that's OK is a garbage truck. They have 6 wheels and fly's.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:51 AM
donnyman

The garbage truck will have limited access, the flies are banned!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 AM
GallopingGhostler

Does that include folded paper airplanes? It's an unmanned vehicles after it's folded. How about kites, and balloons. About the only thing I know that's OK is a garbage truck. They have 6 wheels and fly's.
If your paper airplane is less than 0.55 lbs (8.8 oz) you don't. Garbage trucks don't apply, are manned vehicles (and flies are under 8.8 oz although the sum total may weigh more).
Old 04-10-2017, 08:26 AM
acdii

Going to fill my planes with helium. Build them light and added helium and get them down to under 8 oz.

yeah right. Going to use Hydrogen instead, and call it Hindenburg.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Going to fill my planes with helium. Build them light and added helium and get them down to under 8 oz.

yeah right. Going to use Hydrogen instead, and call it Hindenburg.
And you are going to glow power them all with a long tuned pipe down the fuselage?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 PM
acdii

Gas twin with 2 long pipes!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:17 PM
FlyerInOKC

There you go!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM
GallopingGhostler

Makes for a good argument to go to a way past activity, control line and free flight.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:54 PM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
And you are going to glow power them all with a long tuned pipe down the fuselage?
I had a Duelest setup that way with 2 OS 46 VF's. Flew like a banshee.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

I had a Duelest setup that way with 2 OS 46 VF's. Flew like a banshee.

I'll bet it was a firecracker! The Duelist is a nicce airplane.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Great excitement at the flying field on Sunday with me flying the BE2e solo for the first time with the added lead in the nose. Had to use a lot of rudder in the turns and generally fly the model all of the time but I got it down safely. Plan to fly it again tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2e Sunday 9th April 2017 No 2.php (Small).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2209308   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2e Sunday 9th April 2017 No 1.php (Small).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2209309  
Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Congratulations! It sure looks good in the air!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Every morning I have the same routine. I get up, switch on the computer, put the kettle on to make a mug of tea, and "go to the bathroom" as Americans so politely say! The first site I visit is RCU and the first thread I visit is this one, to see how you guys are getting on. We are all much the same age, the youngest must be in his late fifties, the eldest nearly ninety. We all have much the same experience of aeromodelling. When we were young if you wanted a model aeroplane you had to build it yourself. I expect that we have all built free flight, control line and radio controlled models in the past but apart from a few control line enthusiasts most of us fly only r/c these days. It saves chasing the buggers! Of those who post regularly here there are perhaps ten or twelve Americans, which is fair enough as this is an American website, The Pope in South Australia, karolh in Mandeville, Jamaica, and me, an ex-patriate Englishman in the middle of France. So that's about fourteen or fifteen of us who post regularly here, sharing our experiences not only of aeromodelling but of such matters as house repair, hats, medical systems and legal matters.

A friend and fellow aeromodeller in England, Ioan Wittmann is very keen on computers, while I am something of a computer-phobe! I have been on Facebook for some time and Ioan put my name forward to be accepted into Facebook's "Balsa Model Aircraft Builders Association." Once I had been accepted I put the same pictures of my BE2e on their page as I posted above and have gained to date 134 "likes" as well as lots of comments. What has amazed me is that the "likes" and comments have come from people from across the globe, not only from English-speaking countries but from countries including Denmark, China, Morocco, Paraguay, South Africa, India, Croatia and Brazil. There were even two blokes whose Facebook Page I couldn't read because they were in Cyrillic script. Russia? Bulgaria? Serbia?

The power of social media eh!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:28 PM
the pope

How dare u ! The pope is 55 although most days he feels 90 . The brain doesnt age but the body sure does but dont get me started . Cheers
Old 04-13-2017, 06:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by the pope
How dare u ! The pope is 55 although most days he feels 90 . The brain doesnt age but the body sure does but dont get me started . Cheers
That explains a lot you are still a wet behind the ears pup!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.