Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Some folks still know how to have a good day of just plain fun that's my kind of event.
...and being France you may be assured of having a good "apero" and lunch at mid-day!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:23 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I can't believe it I actually spent hours in my shop without interuption, I have needed to repair a soldering iron for years and now have it functional, but the honeydo's still have hold, the pipes in my motor home froze and I am making repairs, The wind have my house shingles all aflap and sooner or later I will be forced to make repairs, I did notice the shingles that have blown up are the ones that did not have the adhesive strip protector removed, though the installer promised to remove them.

After I consume some munchies I will go the the hardware store and buy pipe fittings. In a month or two I am hoping to visit with my cousin in South Carolina, I haven't seen her in better than 60 years, we are both searching our lineage and she has tons of info on my mothers side of the family.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Best of luck with the genealogical research Donny.

It can be quite an eye opener. I found out that my maternal grandmother gave birth to two children before she married my grandfather! Scandolous stuff in the early Twentieth Century.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:27 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

It can be quite an eye opener. I found out that my maternal grandmother gave birth to two children before she married my grandfather! Scandolous stuff in the early Twentieth Century.
Yes! I have found out much of what I have been told of the family is false or contorted, what really bothers me is many peoples have what they consider bad information and won't mention it though it is important in my search, I still find out much from others in the family, my last name was changed before my birth because of a dispute from both families being against my parents marrying, even after close to 100 years some grumbling still remains, (crazy)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:54 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

On a more serious note I found out that my paternal grandfather's cousin was killed in the Great War, towards the end of the Battle of the Somme, while serving as a bombardier in the Canadian artillery. He was killed in his sleep when a German shell took out his dug-out. The inscription, "Asleep in the Earth," is written in Welsh on his gravestone. He was lucky, the shell apparently ended the lives of twelve of his comrades but only about four of them were recognisable. They are buried alongside him. The rest probably lie abandoned where they were killed.

In those days, if a boy was killed, his parents would send a brief biography of the lad to the local newspaper. Either that or the newspaper would send a reporter round to the parents' house. Such a biography duly appeared in the Western Mail, the only Welsh daily paper, purportedly from his uncle Mr H Davies, but there was no Mr H Davies in the family at the time. His mother however, was Miss Hannah Davies and he had been born illegitimate in 1887. Such was the stigma against illegitimacy in those days that his own mother could not publically acknowledge that her son had died fighting for democracy against the forces of German militarism. Sad isn't it? Nowadays it wouldn't make any difference.

We have made progress over the last hundred years.

Must get some breakfast and make up the undercarriage of the Junior 60.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	David John Brutus Davies Grave.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	2252676  
Old 01-29-2018, 05:55 AM
donnyman

Hearing of events from the past is most interesting, When I can I include a text and picture of what I know of that person it makes for good reading.

Yesterday I purchased pipeing for my motor home, it took over 4 hours to find all the necessary components and I needed parts for my van it is time for the annual safety inspection. By the time I got home I was exhausted and fell asleep watching a video, woke up went to bed and slept for a additional 8.5 hours I feel ready to go. Today will be a busy day also.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

My wife got me interested in Genealogy I love it when I find something scandalous like the great aunt who was married and divorced 3 times, She was some character! Or the uncle that married his exwife's younger sister and his exwife was the matchmaker! The marriage lasted 48 years until his death. Maybe she knew something after all? On my wife's side we discovered her grandfather and his brother were both WWI veterans on the German side. Her grandfather was hospitalized for over a year in 1917 with woulds he received in service.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:25 PM
donnyman

I attempted to assemble the pipeing I purchased. and yes, you probably guessed it, some pieces flat won't work I dread having to return the parts I can't use and have to search for replacements. It consumes so much time.

I know if I get to digging into my family much will be revealed especially from my grandparents back. it gets involved.

My sons friend had a engine replaced in a vehicle purchased at auction, and at first it was quitting and not shifting into gear properly but with some fresh fuel and additional driving it is smoothing out rather well. The mechanic was about to replace the transmission but I told him to wait and do more test drives, he now is rather satified that it will be OK.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Bit of a red letter day with the old Rover too. Discovered why it was reluctant to start, broken balast resistor. I fitted a new brake servo and bled the brakes. Now it runs and stops sweet so it should pass its Controlle Technique, a bi-ennial safety check on Friday unless it snows beforehand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rover 2200SC P6 (Small).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2252872  
Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Is that the one that came with the house?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

No! The Rover has been an on-going restoration since 1998!

The other car is a little French Peugeot 205 diesel which should give me good fuel economy. It will require a bit of fettling before it's ready for the road. I'll post a picture of it when I get around to it.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:52 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ah,the ballast resistor. The bane of some Chrysler owners.

The last few days I've been working on cutting up a huge and immense tree. It is that large. Or was. I wore myself out yesterday. Going to take today off. Each day I would work on my Kaos build in the morning then on to hard labor for the day. Today it will be all kaos build. And some rest.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Ah,the ballast resistor. The bane of some Chrysler owners.

The last few days I've been working on cutting up a huge and immense tree. It is that large. Or was. I wore myself out yesterday. Going to take today off. Each day I would work on my Kaos build in the morning then on to hard labor for the day. Today it will be all kaos build. And some rest.
Just remember that old crock about "Hard work never killed anyone!" was written by a supervisor who didn't work and never visited a Cardiac ward!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

There's a difference between hard work and overworked. I saw a 400 foot (122 meter) long hallway of a school get rocked (drywalled) in two days. Walls were 16 feet (4.9 meters) high including false ceiling area. Had one on stilts get handed a sheet from someone on the floor, pop it into place, another on stilts hit it with drywall screws. The teamwork was fascinating.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's amazing what seasoned crew can do it a short amount of time. I have seen the same thing with framing crews.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 AM
acdii

I used to build houses and on one of them there was this crew of old timers, and man they "rocked" the joint. Two on stilts and one doing the measuring and cutting. One would call out the measurements while the other was setting the screws, and by the time the panel was ready to go up, the screw driver was done with the previous one. I hate using the word black to describe people as it "offends" people, including me, but to describe how these guys were a riot to listen to, you need to know that they were black, and anyone who has worked with the old guys would know, they are some great guys to be around, the rhetoric they spewed at each other, was great. Their cadence in how they worked was dynamic. Loved being there with them on that job. It reminded me of when I was a kid and used to hang around an old repair shop with guys like this. Loved listening to their stories too.

It's too bad that the younguns these days have no interest in hard labor, they would learn a lot from working with guys like that. They earned their living and were proud of what they did.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:40 AM
mortyspals
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 in. Gul Wing Snoop Old Timer

Has anyone built one of the 96 in Snoop Old Timers? If so, what engine did You install, servos, etc. Thank You, Neal Smith Alexandria, Va.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:26 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

Not to worry as just about every family has skeletons of one nature or another in their closets which they would much prefer to keep closed.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:27 AM
acdii

I bury mine under the basement slab. Too easy to spot in the closet.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm told by those who are keen on family history that researchers should be aware that they may well discover illegitimacy, madness and suicide in their ancestry.

The past was not as pleasant a place as some would have us believe.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was 36 when my appendix ruptured .The doctor that took care of me told me if it had happened 4 weeks sooner I would have died. The FDA had just approved the drug that saved me and it was the first time he had used it. So some times life is so much better now than it was then and it dosen't have to be that long ago.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 02-04-2018, 03:26 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
That was by far the best of the series!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:13 PM
acdii

Yes it was.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:32 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice to know that you guys are or were Treckie fans......Capt Kirk welcomes you aboard the starship Entertprise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.