Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Novice_builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for all the advice, I will take i
Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It snowed here in central texas! what a surprise when I opened my door and found frozen precip. on my motorhome and walls, how beautiful! But I am glad it is mostly melted now, some snow is nice a lot of it is not appreciated.
the last time snow fell here I believe it was 2004, and that's the way I like it, short lived.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

It snowed here last week, mind you we are 1200 ft above sea level here so it's not that unusual. It's gone now but there's plenty of winter left for it to come back.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry gentlemen, I tried to post a link to a Facebook posting showing a woman riding a sledge down a steep hill in the centre of Shrewsbury, my hometown in England but I cannot get the link to work. The centre of the town had been closed off to vehicular traffic owing to the snow.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 12-08-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by Novice_builder
Many thanks for all the advice, I will take i
Let us know how you get on Novice Builder, I'm sure we'll all be interested.

Strong winds and rain in central France at the moment prevents any flying but I've recovered the tail surfaces of the club's ARTF trainer which is in my custody and powered by my engine, (Irvine 40.) The quality of the covering material on this aircraft is extremely poor; I used some pale blue Solarfilm which I'd had sculling around for decades to replace the original white. I've also fitted an improved undercarriage to the Baron. It now has a wider track. Finally, I've bought a brand new Seagull ARTF Boomerang trainer for 99€ which I thought was an extremely good price. I bought it because there are a lot of beginners in my club and if the club's white trainer is unserviceable I'll have a spare. (I haven't the time to build a Telemaster!) I'd planned to use it as a reserve trainer but may well promote it. It depends how it flies. For an ARTF trainer it's well built and features a semi symmetrical wing completely covered in balsawood. The undercarriage wires seem to be of a superior quality to the norm, chrome plated too. I'm going to fit an Irvine 46 in it.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 AM
donnyman

I trust everyone is geared up to get through this season, I went to the store yesterday and will try to avoid it until after this season is over, the place was filled because only a few check out isles were open, all lines were long and of course the one I was in was held up by the people in front of me, they changed their mind six times and then found out they did not have enough money to pay. the remarkable thing is no one got upset.

Heres wishing everyone a merry Christmas and happy- peaceful new year.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Back at you Donny!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you Donny!

Bonne fetes tous le monde!
Old 12-23-2017, 06:21 AM
donnyman

Happy Holidays!
As I get older I feeling my fat body slowing down. my feet, back, hands and heaven only knows what else is in a state of decreptitude. so I am surrendering to the enevitable and preparing to end most of my activities, first to go is my RV shed. As soon as the weather improves I will pull it down, I have not been sucessful finding assistance to finish it so I will sell all the materials and take a different route. The process of downsizing is a slow one but is a on going process. I am speaking with a real estate agent about selling out and moveing, to where.....I don't know! but everything I own has become a burden.

It appears this thread has run it's course and is in a state of limbo, has all us old timers run out of words? I've missed hearing from many of you, I pray you are all well and 2018 will find us talking lotsa trash.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Donny If you get off here I will miss you. I have most of the same troubles as you but I am not ready to give up. I have been flying my Cub got almost 30 hours on it now. I hate to see the colder weather coming, I don't think I will take the Cub out in less than 45 deg. Been slowly working on the Super Sportster bought a used Satio 125 for it. Neater one of us can get out of a bath tub if we sit down in it. So I removed the tub, we bought a shower kit that has cool curved glass doors been working on that all month almost have it ready to use.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:55 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Might be others have things going on. I've been flying the friendly skies of Salvation Army doing Christmas bell ringing. Moneys raised help fund the social services (food, utilities, etc. for the poor) of the local Salvation Army Corps office.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-17 George in Uniform.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	590.2 KB
ID:	2248449  
Old 12-23-2017, 07:02 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Happy Holidays Donny and to all the members here.

I know what you mean about getting old and the ole body feeling different. I'm going thru that myself. Not ready to downsize but I suppose that, too, may be in my future. Good luck on the downsizing.

I believe the lack of activity is due to the Christmas season. I've noticed it on other threads. Some are traveling, planning to travel, buying things, wrapping presents. Lots to be done, little time for modeling. I'm in the middle of a build but it is also going slow. 2018 is soon coming.

I'm almost down to my 210lb. goal. Two pounds to go. I just need to get past Monday and hope I stay the same weight.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Season's greetings and happy holidays to everyone. I never realized that getting old could be such a PITA, but it really can sometimes be just that. But be of good cheer as the aging process is usually a slow one and hopefully will give us time to adjust. As ET pilot suggested the lack of activity here could well be everyone being involved with the holiday season plus not to mention the 'honey do' lists that some of us have to deal with. With luck things here will be back in full swing in very short order.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:29 AM
donnyman

Hold on scotty There is intelligent life here. G. ghostler your looking smart in that uniform, GOD bless you!..................The spirit of the good samaritan lives.

You guys have made my day, It is so nice to hear from my online family.

Last edited by donnyman; 12-26-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Here`s to all you R/C hobby people keeping on keeping on for as long as possible.

Charlie

Last edited by Stickslammer; 12-23-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:37 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Might be others have things going on. I've been flying the friendly skies of Salvation Army doing Christmas bell ringing. Moneys raised help fund the social services (food, utilities, etc. for the poor) of the local Salvation Army Corps office.

Sir, I salute you for your service to the Salvation Army. A very worthy cause; helping the poor.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Happy Holidays!
As I get older I feeling my fat body slowing down. my feet, back, hands and heaven only knows what else is in a state of decreptitude. so I am surrendering to the enevitable and preparing to end most of my activities, first to go is my RV shed. As soon as the weather improves I will pull it down, I have not been sucessful finding assistance to finish it so I will sell all the materials and take a different route. The process of downsizing is a slow one but is a on going process. I am speaking with a real estate agent about selling out and moveing, to where.....I don't know! but everything I own has become a burden.

It appears this thread has run it's course and is in a state of limbo, has all us old timers run out of words? I've missed hearing from many of you, I pray you are all well and 2018 will find us talking lotsa trash.
I kinda know what you're sayin. All my friends moved to warmer climates or they are looking at the underside of the sod. Seems from answers and remarks that the thread still has some life so stick around a while.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

53 and already feeling the pains of old age. Between my knees back and elbows, and after effects of the crash of my truck nearly a year ago, this past year has sucked! Gained back the 50 or so pounds I had lost a few years ago, and just can't find the energy or the get over the pain pill yet to even put energy to use. Even my plane building has slowed down. Another thing that is holding me back is the time of year. I know I will need a ton of therapy along with tests/imaging on my upper spine where I am having bad pain that wraps around my chest. At this time of year, any deductible is lost and resets, so waiting until january to setup the visits and get that going so that I will meet my limit and have insurance actually start pay for some of it, right now, it pays none. Hoping that by June I will be mobile again and have that energy I need to get things done. This year my fields have taken a hit from my lack of care, all the fencing needs to be taken down and replaced/repaired where needed. Its simple tape fencing, but not the kind you can go to a farm store and buy, only available online from one source. After 16 year the plastic insulators have finally had enough and many of them have failed, and I need to get along the fence line with a bush hog and get rid of a lot of thorn bushes and trees, which have also damaged the fencing.

On the plus side, my back issues kept me from having to "volunteer" a couple nights working the warehouse on my own time.

On my bench is a SIG 4*60 that I built with retracts, and almost done with the wing. Spent my day off yesterday getting the retract mechanism to work. My first attempt with a long 2-56 rod failed as the rod would bow. I put a servo arm in and have two short rods instead which seems to e working much better, now they down and lock, but don't fully retract unless I flip the wing over, but not a problem, will make take offs interesting with a roll after take off. Just have one aileron servo link to setup and it is done, then I can move onto putting the engine on, hooking up the throttle and fuel lines, mount the battery and the tail linkages. I will leave the servo try out until I have it on the Vanessa rig to see where the best place to put them is. One of the things I tend to do is move live loads around to reduce the amount of dead weight needed. I may need tail weight since I am putting a Saito 91 on instead of a .65 that is called for. The heavier engine may make it nose heavy.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone

I just wanted to wish all us older modelers a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season to everyone. Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year. We normally have a big celebration of the seven fishes at my wife's parents house which has gone on as long as I can remember. This year things will be a little different my Father in law who at 92 years old is the last remaining WWII vet of both our families has spent the month of December in the hospital and now in a rehab center. So this year my wife and I will pick up her mom and take her to see dad and celebrate Christmas eve with him before going home to celebrate the holiday with the rest of the family. Just remember guys have a great holiday and try to see everyone who means something to you because no one is sure if we will do this again next year.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years everyone,
Mark O'Connell
Old 12-23-2017, 04:02 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I wish all of my friends here, and you all are of course, a very Merry Christmas and a happy and blessed 2018! May your builds go smoothly and all your flying days be sunny, warm, and windless!
Us over 50 youngsters are all "young" enough to remember this classic clip:

(P.S. Linus forgot a word. Do you know which one it was?)
Old 12-23-2017, 08:09 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks donnyman and ETpilot for the kind words; and Merry Christmas to all. Regarding slowing down, yes, I've noticed I'm not same now a year from 65 that I was when 50 but there is perspective - II Corinthians 4:16 (WEB): Therefore we don’t faint, but though our outward man is decaying, yet our inward man is renewed day by day.

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eff0cqYefYY

(P.S. Linus forgot a word. Do you know which one it was?)
Word he missed is:

Luke 2:10 (KJV): And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

We are none of us getting any younger and I'm grateful for my relatively good health.I turn 70 in March.The knees and right hip complain a bit but I can manage. I always say that I want to die by crashing my motor cycle, running away from a jealous husband, at the age of 112 but I know that's not going to happen! The bike, a 955cc Triumph, is already hard work to push about in the garage!

I am back in The Old Country for Christmas with the family. I've driven the two-tonner over. There are things like loft insulation which are much cheaper in England than in France and the van needed a new cambelt so I gave the job to my best friend who's a qualified and experienced mechanic. Time was when I would have enjoyed a 600+ mile journey but I find them rather a bore now. I won't be doing it again.

GG you look very smart in your uniform. Your work supporting the poor is increasingly important these days as so many well-paid jobs have been exported to cheap-labour areas, but dont get me started!

Donny, you are a star like the sun! The rest of us simply orbit your centre like planets. Please keep up with the posts whether on aeromodelling matters or anything else. I for one am always interested in what you and all of the rest of you old buzzards are up to! I will post a few before and after pictures of my house in France when I get back to show you all what I've been doing for the last nine months.

Finally Mr GF Handel put Linus's words to music quite some time ago. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ha...PO-GgAay6aPoBw
Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry. Double post. Never was much good with computers.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 12-23-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:13 AM
donnyman

Telemaster

You honor me beyond words! It will be a while till I clear the tears away, that google post completely blew me away........................best christmas gift I can remember. may GOD bless and keep you! for surely he is in you!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:59 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.