Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:57 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I had something I bought from them earlier this year, don't remember what it was, some servos I think. I noticed it took longer to ship than it used to. I went to order some props and they had none of what I wanted.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

I know a number of companies had major supply chain disruptions from merchandise coming from Asia sue to the virus I suspect they were in the same boat.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:16 AM

Speaking of shipping delays thank to that idiot postmaster general I have a small package sitting in the USPS Champaign IL facility since 8/22 waiting to move on.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:21 AM

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi guys, I used to live in Spring Texas which is on the north side of Houston, just south of the Woodlands on I-45. I remember the last Hurricane that I endured there and I told the wife that I had enough of this lets move and we did. My job prospects are terrible here but life is a little better for me and my family.My heart bleeds for old friends that still live on the gulf coast! Yikes two storms one after the other what could be worse right!
Yesterday afternoon I took my GP easy sport to the field and I get up in the air and throttle back.Then I flew two laps around and my engine dies.My friend and I spent the next 2 hours trying to get my OS 46 ax to run. it fires right every time but at half throttle it will just die and then I saw air bubbles in the line again. I have rebuilt the fuel tank twice and I am still getting air in the line.I might replace the tank as it is a little old I think. I even thought about getting my brand new 46ax out and break it in and run on this to see if that is the issue! The engine is 2 hand and the guy I got it from told me that it was just broke in. I ran it through break in process again and it did well on the bench.This issue has been going on from day one and I cant seem to solve it!
I hope your weekend was better than mine!
Michael
You probably know this but i will try................ Two things, be sure your tank is insulated from vibration, and use a fuel of no more than 10%, 5% if you can find it. that OS doesn't need much nitro, too much will cause it to seize. And if you see bubbles the pick-up line in the fuel tank is cracked. If all else fails send it to me
Old 08-27-2020, 10:58 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
You probably know this but i will try................ Two things, be sure your tank is insulated from vibration, and use a fuel of no more than 10%, 5% if you can find it. that OS doesn't need much nitro, too much will cause it to seize. And if you see bubbles the pick-up line in the fuel tank is cracked. If all else fails send it to me
Hi Donny, That is what I think is the problem. I rebuilt the darn thing about 6 months back and the plastic flange that goes behind the rubber stop was deformed and the stopper was dry rotted. I replaced all the lines but I will do it again.
Thank you
Michael Johnston
Old 08-27-2020, 02:22 PM

Mike

I remember having bubbles in a tank sometime back and did as you've done, only to find all the plastic was good but the brass tube had a fine crack and was the problem, I found it by pressurizing the tank under water, the bubbles showed the leak just as is done with car tires.

Is everyone registered with the FAA? I'm not but then I haven't flown since the first coming.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:45 AM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

My latest ouvre, a double sized Vic Smeed Tomboy.

The Tomboy was once the most popular plan in the Aeromodeller Plans Service. It was a 36" (92 cms) free flight model aimed at beginners. There's a bit of history associated with the model which I've summarised below for theose who are interested.

My Uncle Geoff, who married one of my mother's four sisters, taught me how to build model aeroplanes in 1959 when I was eleven years old. He was to die of cancer within two or three years. He was thiry-six IIRC. Before he died he gave me all of his models. These included a 36" Tomboy, and a the fuselage of a double sized Tomboy. He was a draftsman and had drawn up the plan himself. Spool on several decades past my sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll years and I built the rest of the model and installed a radio, picture below. I finished it in the same colours as his original little Tomboy. The fuselage soon started to disintegrate so I built a second using cyano for all of the joints. I was a very inexperienced pilot in those days and somehow got the model into a spiral dive. When it hit the ground I was left with a big yellow bag of balsa sticks! I built a third fuselage, landed the model in a tree and broke its back. I have kept the wing and tail for over twenty years in a long cardboard box which I brought over from England together with other "refurb projects!"

We'll see if I have any more luck with the fourth fuselage! Metre rule lends scale to the picture.

RC Universe wouldn't allow me to post pictures of the new model probably because they're too big. I've tried reducing them but I get a message about a sharing violation whatever one of those is, however by going away for a few hours I've managed to post the new pictures. Here's the picture from the vaults of the model in its first incarnation with my much younger self alongside.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-28-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:11 PM

Any Comments?
Old 08-30-2020, 06:46 AM

A beautiful airplane! And I see like a lot of us the pilot has a lot more forehead than his younger days.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:01 AM

Alright, which one of you buggers signed me up for dating sites?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
Alright, which one of you buggers signed me up for dating sites?
It was probably one of those scammers when you hit the unsubscribe link.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It was probably one of those scammers when you hit the unsubscribe link.
heheh, I never unsubscribe, you are so right, that is what they WANT you to do! LOL

Now I just forward the hot looking ones to my wife, asking can I have it gift wrapped?
Old 08-31-2020, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
heheh, i never unsubscribe, you are so right, that is what they want you to do! Lol

now i just forward the hot looking ones to my wife, asking can i have it gift wrapped?
lol!
Old 09-01-2020, 03:49 AM

Miss Blue Eyes is an extraordinary lady, not only has she become interested in my hobby, she also wants me to teach her how to fly r/c models and how to build them as well!

I have several suitable models with which she can learn how to fly, but to teach her how to build I have bought a Ben Buckle Super 60 kit which I intend to convert to electric power. I plan to house the LiPo in a ventilated box as I did with the Junior 60 and the big Tomboy but as the Super 60 has a relatively long nose I intend to make a removeable hatch between the firewall and the nose and load the LiPo from the top.

This is one I built earlier. I had a red and yellow one at the same time. Crashed the two of them within a week by flying through the disc of the sun on landing approach!
Old 09-01-2020, 04:36 AM

It wil be nice for the two of you to be able to fly together until she reaches the point when can fly the pants off you!
Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 AM

I think she may already have! See the smile on his face?
Old 09-01-2020, 04:53 AM

Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 AM

It wil be nice for the two of you to be able to fly together until she reaches the point when can fly the pants off you!
She's already better than I am on the simulator!
Old 09-04-2020, 02:06 PM

I tried the flight simulator and It didn't fill any of my needs, I was bored, it did gave me an idea of how the Hall Bulldog might fly If it is set up to emulate the design.
Looking in on the glider forum yesterday stirred memories of my first try at gliders, of which I have four and haven't flown any of them. sometime ago I purchased a Dodgson kit of the Camano 100 and have yet to build it, I was told at one time it was one of the top gliders on the market. gotta get the plans but it can be put together without them.

Has anyone had a stress test and run on the tread mill? I was impressed with the ultra sound equipment used to look/listen at my heart been doing a lot of tests to find out why I lose control of my legs if I walk too much, walking was something I enjoyed some years back could do it all day, now sometime I can't go fifty feet with out my heart pumping like mad and not having enough breath, I'll take a bet the they find me normal except for excess for my excess blubber butt weight.

Two things I wish was over. This covid stuff and the elections. If my mechanic ever finishes my motor-home I think I may take a long trip to get over this cabin fever.

acdii
How is that laser doing? I was impressed with the pieces you cut out just haven't heard anymore from you about it.

This just came to mind.................. do you have any info on the jet pack guy in CALIF? I think it is a dummy hooked up to a drone somehow.

Last edited by donnyman; 09-04-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:12 PM

I have had several of the treadmill stress tests they aren't fun! Tuesday I have Pulmonary function test followed by a Echo Cardiogram. Lungs are still giving me fits and they are worried my heart maybe having problems now.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:09 PM

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Having a total shoulder replacement done Thursday. As my mother used to say "This getting old ain't for sissies!"
Old 09-04-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stikum
Having a total shoulder replacement done Thursday. As my mother used to say "This getting old ain't for sissies!"
Now the real work starts! I had my right knee done New Years Eve 2018 the doctor seemed almost disappointed when I told him a year later the left was just fine. I loss the right one due to 3 bone cysts having rotted the good bone away.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:58 PM

I stumbled across this topic while surfing some aeromodelling sites this morning. An engineer called Edward Perera from Sri Lanka has built a model aeroplane powered by a steam engine which he built himself!

Negombo Aeromodellers

Old 09-04-2020, 09:37 PM

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Now the real work starts! I had my right knee done New Years Eve 2018 the doctor seemed almost disappointed when I told him a year later the left was just fine. I loss the right one due to 3 bone cysts having rotted the good bone away.
My right knee has seen 5 surgeries. 1976 - patellar shave, 2001- pestoplasty, 2002 - Carbon fiber implants to replace ACL and MCL, 2010 - arthroscopy to remove scar tissue, 2017 unicompartmental replacement of medial half of knee(I'd worn off over 1/8" of bone, 6 degrees bowlegged on that side by then). Pain-free and very functional now.
Damaged my left shoulder about 15 years ago, tripped in the dark and fell on my left elbow on a concrete pad. Flat-spotted the ball of the shoulder. About 8-9 years ago, had an arthroscopy to clean out the debris - and the cartilage was all destroyed. Surgeon said to try to wait five years for the replacements to get better. Did OK but not great until this year, when the arthritis in it got bad enough to keep it inflamed constantly. I use three cold packs at night so I can sleep for a few hours, but it has been taking a toll. Found a local surgeon who is closely affiliated with UCLA, very highly recommended. He did x-rays and CT scan, said the time has come. Drugs would only mask the problem - and steroid injections give me hiccups for five days straight, Timing is actually pretty good - I'm a teacher, and working from home for at least another seven weeks due to Covid-19, and can resume work pretty quickly.
This should give me much better function in the shoulder, and reduce or eliminate the inflammation issue. Looking to retire in a couple more years, sell the house, and leave California. Probably to Oklahoma, but we'll see where we're lead when the time comes. I love teaching and the current administration at my school, so if things don't come together in two years, I can easily stay another. Teacher's pay isn't all that great, but the retirement and health insurance benefits are excellent.
Well, better go get my Rodent Control Team (barn cats) in for the night. We've had a couple of mountain lions in the area lately, and they love domestic cats to pieces. I'll probably be off-line for a bit, between work, pre-op visits, surgery, and getting off the post-surgery pain killers ASAP.

Have fun and stay safe, my friends!

Old 09-05-2020, 03:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I wish you all the best and will heal and get better. I’ve been fortunate in having good health. I've been on high blood pressure medicine for the last couple of years. My main problem is my right ankle. I totally shattered it back at age 26. I had to have it fused. I looked like a TV antenna after the operation. It was used to clamp the ankle together until I healed. I had to make sure I didn’t hit the protruding pins. Now it swells up once in a while when I work it too hard. I’ve been on crutches a couple of times over the years. I twisted my right knee a while back and was on a cane. Covid-19 let my knee heal and I’m back to normal.

I reported on the dead mouse and baby mice in a drawer in the shop. With sticky pads I have caught another two. This drawer was huge 32x40 and pulled from either side of my work bench. Loaded with tools now it was quite heavy. So yesterday I cut the drawer in two. Now I have 2 drawers 32x20. Much easier to pull weight wise. I have 2 other big drawers. I may do the same to them.

I finished my Foamy Profile airplane. I have to install the electronics and do a maiden. I drew out plans for a second Foamy. Getting ready to start cutting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.