Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 AM
  #76  
My Feedback: (28)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edgewater, MD
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I agree with you that life could not be better! Although I am young at 59 and planning on retiring soon. What makes me look forward to it is the fact I will be doing what you are doing (laughing) going to the field more often and during off peak hours and fly as much as I can!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM
  #77  
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,362
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by landeck
Hi guys. I am 73. I built my first model in 1949 for the Cub Scouts. I have never since stoped building. In 1953 I got for Christmas a RTF control line plane with an OK Cub .049 engine. I still have the engine. Never did get the plane to fly so that summer I built a 1/2A plane from plans in AAM. It flew and for the next 20 years I was hooked on c/l. In 1973 I decided it was time for RC. I bought a Kraft 7 Channel single stick radio, a RCM Trainer kit, and a Fox Eagle .60 engine and learned how to fly. Still doing it 41 years later. I am out at the flying field 3-4 times a week when the weather is good. Right now I have a GP Ultra Sport on the building board for an OS .61 SF engine and also assembling a SIG TCraft 70 with an OS .62 V four stroke. Life could not be better!

Bruce
Hi Bruce welcome
once a modeler always a modeler tell us more.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 AM
  #78  
My Feedback: (28)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edgewater, MD
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman
Brooklyn? wow I grew up in Brooklyn. Fort green housing projects by the navy yard. in the 40's joined the A/F in 59 do you have any memories of the Mirror meet held at the naval station I flew combat there (controline)

Welcome ..................HOMEY!
Donny...

Am still learning how to use this post...next time will respond with quote from previous post...

Looking at your info...you are in Manor, TX and that's near Austin, TX where I lived for a few years, 1984-87 and that is where I went back to the hobby! I flew out of a site south of Ben White and Lamar (the road changes into another name or my memory is wrong) but when I recently visited Austin last year and the field is all but gone to development. Sigh.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM
  #79  
My Feedback: (36)
 
cannonball200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 334
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

My first rc plane I built in 1974. I still have the first radio system I bought from Tower Hobbies, the Expert 5 channel pictured above. My how electronics have changed from 1974 to 1986 to 2009 as in my radios above.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.JPG
Views:	4012
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	2051917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832.JPG
Views:	4157
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2051918  
The following 2 users liked this post by cannonball200:
2VP (07-07-2022), rrrobb (05-04-2023)
Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM
  #80  
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,362
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcnut42
Thank you, Brooklyn will always be my home no matter where having lived in four different parts of the country over the years--non military--mostly social services and education work. I grew up in the furthest corner of Gravesend section--Avenue P and Ocean Parkway. Loved riding my bicycle on Ocean Parkway and sometimes I would cycle over to Marine Park holding my model and everything else was in a so called back pack as it was jerry rigged to be like one hanging by my back with a loop around my neck and shoulders-heh!

Nope, I might have gone there--I will ask my Dad as he is still around at 80+ In fact he still cuts wood for me when I want need it done and that is what keeps him busy. I supply the wood and he creates kits. I have several of them and should sell to folks on this posting...anyway. Fort Greene is now a gentrified area and we cannot afford to live there! (I think so!) Thank you for making me feel welcome!
I could not agree with you more, I been missing it since 1959 only thing keeping me away is snow. we don't get much here (Austin TX) I had a girlfriend that lived in your old nieghborhood my - rollerskating partner.
Say hello to your dad for me I sure would like to here stories of his modeling days.............two names I,d like to throw at ya both from my pass, Joe Reese - John Fonseca both had big impact on me was hoping you knew them.
I was told of the changes in my old neck of the woods Odd I knew people that almost starved to death that lived there. povety is ........................
Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM
  #81  
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,362
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcnut42
Donny...

Am still learning how to use this post...next time will respond with quote from previous post...

Looking at your info...you are in Manor, TX and that's near Austin, TX where I lived for a few years, 1984-87 and that is where I went back to the hobby! I flew out of a site south of Ben White and Lamar (the road changes into another name or my memory is wrong) but when I recently visited Austin last year and the field is all but gone to development. Sigh.
that club has a nice site at a park now with a paved runway. Man this is a small world. Please stay in touch.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: mogadore, OH
Posts: 473
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

And I'm still using my FG Gold series 7 ch FM narrow band radio from the 80's, I love it's kickstand you don't get with modern radios.
Originally Posted by cannonball200
My first rc plane I built in 1974. I still have the first radio system I bought from Tower Hobbies, the Expert 5 channel pictured above. My how electronics have changed from 1974 to 1986 to 2009 as in my radios above.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM
  #83  
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,362
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cannonball200
My first rc plane I built in 1974. I still have the first radio system I bought from Tower Hobbies, the Expert 5 channel pictured above. My how electronics have changed from 1974 to 1986 to 2009 as in my radios above.
Hello cannon ball!

them radios don't look very old to me . Nice looking model.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:13 PM
  #84  
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Posts: 5,768
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Except for Rodney you people are a bunch of youngsters.I am 87.
I started when The 27.225 band was first made available to the public in 1950.
I dont remember the name of my first RC. The kit was made in Brooklyn and had the firewall with engine tied to the body with rubber bands.I remember bragging that I had7 successful flights out of 21
I spent the years 1955 to 1961 in Europe. I was able to attend the first internats(1960) in Dubendoorf Sw. That was won by Ed Kasmerski. .I became friendly with the Swedish and they smuggled me into the Awards dinner where i was able to talk to most of the participants. They convinced me to try reeds.I flew a DeBolt pursuit with a CG reed system. You had to land to change the trim.
I designed and flew a 4 channel proportional system in '63. It was a pulse system so if you lost the radio you had a spectacular crash.
I got into F1 pylon racing in the early '70s. At that time I was the Kraft rep for the Seattle area. Futaba came along, copied Kraft, and drove him out of the business. I hope the Chinese put Futaba out of business. They wont though because Futaba has its stuff made in China.
I retired and got divorced in 2000. The last 14 years I have just what I wanted. I am getting too old no and my eyesight is failing so I will have to quit soon
Old 12-03-2014, 12:18 PM
  #85  
My Feedback: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hemderson, NV
Posts: 14,396
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I started in 56, I'll be 67 next month. My first plane was the Fire Baby, the first ARF I ever saw. Attwood engine, junk!! Then one of the big kids crashed his Ringmaster and gave me the rubble and I rebuilt it. That started my long term building, boats and planes. Nothing in RC until the late 80s or early 90s. I never had the money for the gear. My flash wasn't working this morning but I tried to take a couple shots of my really big engines I had in 1960. I rode the bus to go pick up my Veco .19. Used it in a Cub a fellow gave me after he crashed it. Free flight at the SDB in the valley.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_1117pins0008.JPG
Views:	3985
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2051923  
Old 12-03-2014, 12:39 PM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 175
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Suppose I should go a little further than I did, First RC was an Ace Dicks Dream, pulse rudder. Flew, but that's about all I'll say. Then first propo that wasn't single channel, Goldberg 1/2A Skylane, pretty much taught myself to fly with that. It got demolished, used the wing and made another fuse and tailfeathers, that one was a ball. Went "Deluxe" on that radio, Cox 2 stick two channel with nicads even. Escalated from there, but stopped at .40 size planes, think I'll stay there too. Was one of the original members of the local RC club for a while, then got my patience tested one hair too far. Few years later I wasn't flying anything, then the plane went from forty size to forty feet and weighed some six hundred pounds, Schweizer 1-26. One hour short of having my license, money ran out. Money condition corrected, building a Magnum 40 now, have a couple of kits, Balsa USA Smoothie and Phaeton II when I get that far. Three heart attacks (on three consecutive days) convinced me if I'm going to pick it up again, I'd better get moving. We'll see what happens next spring, maybe selling used engines "that have only been crashed once and aren't even broken in yet."

Rich
Old 12-03-2014, 12:40 PM
  #87  
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,362
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Except for Rodney you people are a bunch of youngsters.I am 87.
I started when The 27.225 band was first made available to the public in 1950.
I dont remember the name of my first RC. The kit was made in Brooklyn and had the firewall with engine tied to the body with rubber bands.I remember bragging that I had7 successful flights out of 21
I spent the years 1955 to 1961 in Europe. I was able to attend the first internats(1960) in Dubendoorf Sw. That was won by Ed Kasmerski. .I became friendly with the Swedish and they smuggled me into the Awards dinner where i was able to talk to most of the participants. They convinced me to try reeds.I flew a DeBolt pursuit with a CG reed system. You had to land to change the trim.
I designed and flew a 4 channel proportional system in '63. It was a pulse system so if you lost the radio you had a spectacular crash.
I got into F1 pylon racing in the early '70s. At that time I was the Kraft rep for the Seattle area. Futaba came along, copied Kraft, and drove him out of the business. I hope the Chinese put Futaba out of business. They wont though because Futaba has its stuff made in China.
I retired and got divorced in 2000. The last 14 years I have just what I wanted. I am getting too old no and my eyesight is failing so I will have to quit soon
we yield to your seniority sir. you have seen a lot of changes.........welcome!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:42 PM
  #88  
Thread Starter
 
donnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manor, TX But my heart is in Brooklyn N.Y.
Posts: 2,362
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I started in 56, I'll be 67 next month. My first plane was the Fire Baby, the first ARF I ever saw. Attwood engine, junk!! Then one of the big kids crashed his Ringmaster and gave me the rubble and I rebuilt it. That started my long term building, boats and planes. Nothing in RC until the late 80s or early 90s. I never had the money for the gear. My flash wasn't working this morning but I tried to take a couple shots of my really big engines I had in 1960. I rode the bus to go pick up my Veco .19. Used it in a Cub a fellow gave me after he crashed it. Free flight at the SDB in the valley.
Keep on keeping on.........Welcome!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM
  #89  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,231
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Greybeard, 3 attacks in 3 days! WOW! Yeah, you need this hobby just to dial down the stress!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM
  #90  
My Feedback: (169)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: North East, PA
Posts: 179
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

This is a good topic, Fun with memories. I am a true boomer born 1950. I can remember running outside when I was young when I heard any sound of a radial or big piston engine in the sky, had to see what it was. Then before I even knew what was going on .... there was the sound of jet engines in the sky and every once in a while a sonic boom!! That was back in the days that the pilots could get away with almost anything. At 8 yrs old it was a great summer day when I got 5 cents from my mother for a Testors glider!! I would throw that thing all afternoon until it hit the ground enough times that the fuse would carve a big notch out of the center of the wing from impacts with earth. LOL that was Fun! My first glow experience was an OK Cub .049 on some sort of CL thing. Wow ... RC progressed slowly as even $10 was a lot of money back then. Did the FF CG .049 Skylarks. If I could just R/C that puppy. Saved my dimes as I was 13 and got first job... was paid .25/hr. Then AHC out of NYC ( your old if you remember them!) had tube receivers on sale for $10. No internet, had to cut out the order form from the Model Airplane News and just Mail it in with a money order. About a month later it showed up. I got an escapement from somewhere...... but the TX was a problem. My dad was an elec tech at GE. He bought me a walkie talkie from somewhere. He got his scope out and tuned it in. Still a problem though as the RX wanted to hear a tone to close the relay adn work the escapement. Hmmmm he said, just key the walkie talkie and in a clear voice just go Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh into the speaker. Well after a couple of harmonic adjustments to my young vocal cords..... the darn thing worked!!! ONE Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh for a while and the escapement would hold a right turn. Next Ohhhhh was a left turn. You were limited in how long you could hold your notes though !!! If you turned right and wanted another right, just do a short Ohhhhh then as long an OHHHHHH as you wanted the next right turn. IT WORKED!! I could hand launch that Skylark with a full tank in that Golden Bee .o49 ( even leaned it out to max rpm) and fly it for 5 min and bring it back to where we started. I was HOT STUFF let me tell you!!! But there was a problem when I got a cold....... my voice quivered a little and made the Rx relay quiver with it. Well let me tell you, too many quivers and that rubber band runs out on that escapement and NO more control. Had to put on my running shoes and chase that FF again. LOL........... We've come a long way baby!!! Hope some of you enjoyed this as much as I did writing it. True Story circa 1963! Jack Graham
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-24-2021)
Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 PM
  #91  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,290
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cannonball200
My first rc plane I built in 1974. I still have the first radio system I bought from Tower Hobbies, the Expert 5 channel pictured above. My how electronics have changed from 1974 to 1986 to 2009 as in my radios above.
is that a Goldberg skylane 62? im 25 and probably 8 years ago my instructor gave me one his son bought built at a garage sale had 6 inches of dihedral, put modern radio in it and kept old os 35 max-s o fly it. great plane engine runs for about 40 minutes on 6 ounces of fuel.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM
  #92  
Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Jacksons Gap, AL
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I'm only 51 but last spring I did a mild restoration on my Top-flite Contender with a Clarence Lee modified K&B .61 that I originally built and flew in 1975. I had a blast with it this summer!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	4147
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	2051942  
The following users liked this post:
ECSAILOR (01-05-2021)
Old 12-03-2014, 01:55 PM
  #93  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,290
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

see below
Old 12-03-2014, 01:55 PM
  #94  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,290
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
Suppose I should go a little further than I did, First RC was an Ace Dicks Dream, pulse rudder. Flew, but that's about all I'll say. Then first propo that wasn't single channel, Goldberg 1/2A Skylane, pretty much taught myself to fly with that. It got demolished, used the wing and made another fuse and tailfeathers, that one was a ball. Went "Deluxe" on that radio, Cox 2 stick two channel with nicads even. Escalated from there, but stopped at .40 size planes, think I'll stay there too. Was one of the original members of the local RC club for a while, then got my patience tested one hair too far. Few years later I wasn't flying anything, then the plane went from forty size to forty feet and weighed some six hundred pounds, Schweizer 1-26. One hour short of having my license, money ran out. Money condition corrected, building a Magnum 40 now, have a couple of kits, Balsa USA Smoothie and Phaeton II when I get that far. Three heart attacks (on three consecutive days) convinced me if I'm going to pick it up again, I'd better get moving. We'll see what happens next spring, maybe selling used engines "that have only been crashed once and aren't even broken in yet."

Rich
best of luck in the future gray beard
Old 12-03-2014, 02:07 PM
  #95  
Senior Member
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Queensbury, NY
Posts: 1,357
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by donnyman
Grandpooba

Welcome..................Tell us what you do remember You are amongst friends here!
Amongst friends Already have so many friends that I need for a few to pass on, so that I can take on new friends ........... LOL .........
Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM
  #96  
My Feedback: (28)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edgewater, MD
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
is that a Goldberg skylane 62? im 25 and probably 8 years ago my instructor gave me one his son bought built at a garage sale had 6 inches of dihedral, put modern radio in it and kept old os 35 max-s o fly it. great plane engine runs for about 40 minutes on 6 ounces of fuel.
She's a beauty! You done a great job on the plane. I'm glad they're still selling that model. Good and solid plane--Steve
Old 12-03-2014, 02:18 PM
  #97  
My Feedback: (28)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edgewater, MD
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thumbnstick
This is a good topic, Fun with memories. I am a true boomer born 1950. I can remember running outside when I was young when I heard any sound of a radial or big piston engine in the sky, had to see what it was. Then before I even knew what was going on .... there was the sound of jet engines in the sky and every once in a while a sonic boom!! That was back in the days that the pilots could get away with almost anything. At 8 yrs old it was a great summer day when I got 5 cents from my mother for a Testors glider!! I would throw that thing all afternoon until it hit the ground enough times that the fuse would carve a big notch out of the center of the wing from impacts with earth. LOL that was Fun! My first glow experience was an OK Cub .049 on some sort of CL thing. Wow ... RC progressed slowly as even $10 was a lot of money back then. Did the FF CG .049 Skylarks. If I could just R/C that puppy. Saved my dimes as I was 13 and got first job... was paid .25/hr. Then AHC out of NYC ( your old if you remember them!) had tube receivers on sale for $10. No internet, had to cut out the order form from the Model Airplane News and just Mail it in with a money order. About a month later it showed up. I got an escapement from somewhere...... but the TX was a problem. My dad was an elec tech at GE. He bought me a walkie talkie from somewhere. He got his scope out and tuned it in. Still a problem though as the RX wanted to hear a tone to close the relay adn work the escapement. Hmmmm he said, just key the walkie talkie and in a clear voice just go Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh into the speaker. Well after a couple of harmonic adjustments to my young vocal cords..... the darn thing worked!!! ONE Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh for a while and the escapement would hold a right turn. Next Ohhhhh was a left turn. You were limited in how long you could hold your notes though !!! If you turned right and wanted another right, just do a short Ohhhhh then as long an OHHHHHH as you wanted the next right turn. IT WORKED!! I could hand launch that Skylark with a full tank in that Golden Bee .o49 ( even leaned it out to max rpm) and fly it for 5 min and bring it back to where we started. I was HOT STUFF let me tell you!!! But there was a problem when I got a cold....... my voice quivered a little and made the Rx relay quiver with it. Well let me tell you, too many quivers and that rubber band runs out on that escapement and NO more control. Had to put on my running shoes and chase that FF again. LOL........... We've come a long way baby!!! Hope some of you enjoyed this as much as I did writing it. True Story circa 1963! Jack Graham
Great story and speaking of AHC, it was on West 22nd Street in NYC and I begged my Dad to take me there just to look at stuff they had there. It was a treasure trove for a wide-eyed kid back then.

Last edited by rcnut42; 12-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 PM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 175
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
best of luck in the future gray beard
That was a year ago, sorry for the omission. Hadn't seen a doctor in at least 25 years, didn't feel like anything was wrong. Something was, I was. But, if I'm going to fly, that means I have to build something to fly. Stress is what that first flight will be.

Rich
Old 12-03-2014, 03:12 PM
  #99  
My Feedback: (16)
 
Instructor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Swoyersville, PA
Posts: 627
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Well I grew up in Alabama. I had a Free Flight Falcon 56 in 1966 with a Cox Medallion 15. The first radio I bought was a Futaba single channel. I flew a Goldberg 1/2 A Falcon with a Wen Mack .049. After three years in the Army, I moved to North East Pa. around the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. I built a Senior Falcon with a Fox .61 and used a M.A.N 123 radio to fly it with. After I learned to fly the Senior Falcon I built a Lou Andrews H Ray and flew it with a Enya .35. I built a few Midwest Sweet Sticks and my own radio. The radio was a World Blue Max. I built a Strato 210 from the Den Hobby shop in Eynon Pa. I started flying Quickie 500's in the late 70's and then Formula One racing planes with K&B .40. I built my first Giant Scale plane from a Bud Nosen Citabria and powered it with a converted McCulla 2.5 gas engine. I built a Sig Smith Miniplane, and then a Giant Scale PT-19. I got into Ducted Fan planes in the late 80's. The first DF plane was a A-4 Skyhawk from Jet Hangar Hobbies. Then a Byron F-16. I scratch built a large A4 with a 75" fuse and a 65" wing span and flew it with a Hurricane Fan and a OS .91. I scratch built a 86" wingspan F-86D and powered it with a Supper Tiger 3000. I got into Turbines in the late 90's and flew a Kangaroo with a JPX propane powered turbine. I scratch built a Ziroli Panther and flew it with a Jet Cat P-80. About 3 years ago, I scratch built a FJ-1 Fury Navy Jet and it is still flying today. It is powered with a Jet Cat P-120. I am building a Ziroli Turbinator now and it will be powered with a Jet Cat P-80SE. I am 66 years old and I never stopped flylng RC. I have loved every minuet of it and I still do....

Larry/Instructor

Last edited by Instructor; 12-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:37 PM
  #100  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake, UT
Posts: 143
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Forgot to say my name is Larry and I was born in 1951. Yes, I built a fubar, and also a sniffer, both excellent free flights. Must have been around 1964 or 65. It was not until many years later that I learned what that strange name fubar stood for- "effed up beyond all recognition." Other planes I built came to mind in that pre 1967 era-Goldberg Jr. Falcon, Lil Esquire, Ranger 30 (I think I built 3 of those as ff's), the fubar and sniffer I mentioned above, the Esquire 15 sized, and a Skylane 42. Also a bunch of guillows models, Hellcat, Spitfire, SE 5A, Spad, and maybe more I can't remember. All of the free flights were wild, because it seems like the only engines that were readily available were cox .049's, left over from plastic control line planes, and all the free flights called for .020's. So I just slapped on an .049, and away they went, no dethermalizer either, didn't need one, and a full tank of gas. These models either disappeared into the wild blue yonder ending up in some farmers corn or soybean field, or spiraled a few times and came down with a mighty crash. It was rare that I got more than a few flights before a fubar took place.
I had the most fun with the ranger 30's. I remember ordering two of those kits directly from Carl Goldberg in Chicago, a twin pack.
The price for the Ranger 30 was $2.50 per plane. That is the only time I ever ordered a plane through the mail, the rest were bought at toy or hardware stores. With an .049 on the front, free flight, that plane spiraled straight up, almost out of sight, before the engine shut off. I recall on one flight those flimsy sheet wings nearly folded straight up and stayed that way, the thing looked like a flying jackrabbit, but the engine still hauled it straight up and nearly out of sight. Those were the days . . .

Last edited by lflf; 12-03-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.