Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Speed 20. I put the paper on with out the water just dope lost of winkles. Same learning curve I guess.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Well I got the orange dope on the Charger. I didn't have any orange dope so I mixed some Lockhaven yellow and Pontiac red it is not exactly what I wanted but close enough.
That reminds me of the Veron Cardinal I built at the age of twelve. This was a 36" (90cms) wingspan free-flight model powered by a Mills 75. I covered the wings in yellow tissue paper and wanted the sheet balsa fuselage in purple but you couldn,t buy purple dope in those days so I mixed red and blue coloured dope together in equal proprtions and it came out brown!

One windless day I took my brown and yellow model to an abandoned aerodrome with my father who wasn't an aeromodeller and his brother who was, and it flew beautifully.

This experience stayed with me and is the main reason why I'm typting this.

Happy landings gentlemen.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:10 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by speed20
I'm 64, my first balsa model was a Comet F4u Corsair. I was about ten years old. I cut out all the printed parts with a double edge razor! I put the wet tissue on and didn't use dope. The tissue dried and shrunk up,and when I picked up the model,all,the covering fell off! The learning process I guess !
Welcome Speed20!

I still have trouble covering with tissue I get the job done but it just isn't as neat looking as I have seen other guys models look. maybe I am rushing the job.

The double edge razors cut me more than the parts and spilt the lumber because i was cutting too deep in a single pass. I am still learning how to cut the smaller parts Now and I have noticed a improvement. But No more double edge blades.

I recently finished this little thing It is better than the last one but still not what I'd like it to be. These are quite fun to put together and is a good rest from the larger projects.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0326.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	2135616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0329.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2135617  
Old 12-13-2015, 11:36 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Welcome Speed 20. I put the paper on with out the water just dope lost of winkles. Same learning curve I guess.
That charger shows you have much improved, I have fond memories of that type of bird, it was the type that I saw do loops and rolls for the first time in the late 1950's and launched me into R/C......... you do nice work
Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Joe Fisher

Thank you,Donny. The tissue is a special skill. The more determined I am and the more time I take the worst it gets. The heat shrink Cover All seems just plane easy to me. The Mono Cote is some times frustrating mostly because it doesn't always stick the way I expect it to.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:53 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speed20
I'm 64, my first balsa model was a Comet F4u Corsair. I was about ten years old. I cut out all the printed parts with a double edge razor! I put the wet tissue on and didn't use dope. The tissue dried and shrunk up,and when I picked up the model,all,the covering fell off! The learning process I guess !
You got farther than I did! I bought a Comet Corsair kit too, about the same time, got some parts cut and the fuse partly built. Then I looked ahead and thought the whole thing was hopeless. Then came the Guillow kits that were die cut (sort of)..what luxury! So I got some of those built, but the rubber band power never took them very far. I tried a Cox 020 on the smaller SE-5A (18 inch) and corkscrewed into the ground. It was control line and tow line gliders that kept me going.

Jim
Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guy's for all the happy birthday wishes. They cheered me up some what as my wife is in the hospital & crittical. She is terminal so i wont be on the site for quite a while after tuesday. Hey you guy's all have a merry christman and a great flying new year. Frank g trainermaster80
Old 12-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Joe Fisher

So Sorry Frank
Old 12-13-2015, 08:30 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Praying for you and your other half, Frank. The Shenandoah Valley will have a candle burning for you.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Condolencies from me too.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 2 hear in Minnesota God Bless

Bob & Elsie
Old 12-14-2015, 06:07 AM
donnyman

FRANK

Know that our hearts and minds pray out to you......That you may find peace......You are not alone.

Donnyman
Old 12-14-2015, 08:01 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

I'd like to add my condolences Frank. My thoughts and prayers with you at this very difficult time.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning Fan
Ah, guys. Darn. My father was a real, no kidding, actual, illegal immigrant. Born in Antwerp, Belgium, as a kid he lived under the German boot in WW1. Scars on his forehead from climbing under barbed wire to steal potatoes. Between the wars, he was a cabin boy on a merchant that made the Antwerp, New York run ... one day in NY, he just never made it back to the boat.
Ultimately joined the Army in WW2, was recruited into the OSS because of his language skills and did a lot of black work before D-day. Retired many years later a full colonel in the Army Reserve - it killed him when I went Navy ROTC.
My dad is the guy in the center, looking down. Here's a link to what they did. And yes, I have a C47 that I'm working on to remember him with.

They don't call them the greatest generation for nothing!

Black and Native American Genealogy can be a tough nut to crack. For blacks its hard to find much before the civil war. With Native Americans when it came to get on the tribal roles many refused because of distrust of the white government or in some cases if an Indian was established in white society it could hurt them if it was known they had Indian blood.

My wife's family are all Germans and where she hit a snag was those members who came from Prussia. Prussia is one of those areas where you can be either German or Polish depending on the year you were born. Her family were Germans but they were Jewish. The Nazis when they moved in destroyed ever Synagogue, cemetery, and every local source of records they could get their hands on. They even destoryed the headstones!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:38 AM
donnyman

Flyerinokc

You just reinforced what my mother told us, that her mother warned her to not let people know we are indians because they hate us.

Some information for blacks has been recovered from the records of slavers before the civil war. I would be tickled to have data back to that era.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

thank you ALL for your cosideration. sorry to report that my wife passed away peacefully sunday night
i have 6 grand kids & a son & a great daughter for support.
and all my modeling friends too. will keep busy finishing my dynaflite super decathlon. i will try smoke on this one. i will have to postpone it for a while till things settle down here. a merry Christmas to all modelers. & A GREAT FLYING IN 2016.
THANK YOU FRANKIE TRAINERMASTER80 NOW 87 12/8/2015

Last edited by trainermaster80; 12-14-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: MISSED SOME WORDS GLITCH
Old 12-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trainermaster 80 (87)
Very, very sorry for your lose, sounds like you have a huge family to help fill the void.
Regards, Carlos Murphy
(Chuck)
Old 12-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Joe Fisher

It is good for her she passed in her sleep. I hope you can cherish the memories you have of her.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
They don't call them the greatest generation for nothing!

Black and Native American Genealogy can be a tough nut to crack. For blacks its hard to find much before the civil war. With Native Americans when it came to get on the tribal roles many refused because of distrust of the white government or in some cases if an Indian was established in white society it could hurt them if it was known they had Indian blood.

My wife's family are all Germans and where she hit a snag was those members who came from Prussia. Prussia is one of those areas where you can be either German or Polish depending on the year you were born. Her family were Germans but they were Jewish. The Nazis when they moved in destroyed ever Synagogue, cemetery, and every local source of records they could get their hands on. They even destoryed the headstones!
My father 5'4" was a tail gunner in a B-17 in Europe, he passed in 1984.

Last edited by Carlos Murphy; 12-16-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
thank you ALL for your cosideration. sorry to report that my wife passed away peacefully sunday night
i have 6 grand kids & a son & a great daughter for support.
and all my modeling friends too. will keep busy finishing my dynaflite super decathlon. i will try smoke on this one. i will have to postpone it for a while till things settle down here. a merry Christmas to all modelers. & A GREAT FLYING IN 2016.
THANK YOU FRANKIE TRAINERMASTER80 NOW 87 12/8/2015
We cry for ourselves when someone we love passes, because for the one who has passed every tear has been dried and ever hhurt removed. They are in a far better place then this one.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Guys its time we went to work.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...-mad-even.html
Old 12-15-2015, 08:31 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

So very sorry for your loss, lost my wife 20 years ago, still miss her! But me and the kids made it though it, flying and building sure helped!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:00 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Well, it appears we will have to raise our voices to be heard again. I do not know all that is happening with these new rulings but whatever it really is ain't good!

The FAA it appears wants to control our flying and is asking us to pay fees and get registered. well I for one am totally against it.
this is nothing other than a power/money grab. and we all had better fight it with all we have.

Remember, the anti christ will want you to have a number also!.....mental conditioning of the masses is the beginning.
Have you considered how many numbers is connected to every member of your family now?

Consider this ....every gun made has a number, how has that number stopped the murders?

Last edited by donnyman; 12-16-2015 at 05:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (02-10-2021)
Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've got newspaper articles about drones all over the place and a lot of people getting worked up over it. Just like lots of other things. But in the end, you do an online registration every three years and put a number on your plane. If this is all it amounts to, that we get another number to put next to the AMA number we're already required to have in our models, then I don't see this as a big deal. It could have been a lot worse.

The population of the country has doubled since most of us were kids climbing over a barbed wire fence with our airplanes and annoying the cows. And the technology has gotten to the point where anyone can walk into the local Target and buy an amazingly capable aircraft with a digital camera and fly it themselves. A significant part of the public is worried about this. I don't think they should be, but I understand that they are, and I understand that politicians are going to respond to that. This is not a government power grab and the money is insignificant. It's public fear and lack of knowledge, and politicians being politicians. Our own lobby stopped the worst ideas, and what's left after the face-saving and compromises are all done with ain't that bad.

Jim
Old 12-16-2015, 06:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
We've got newspaper articles about drones all over the place and a lot of people getting worked up over it. Just like lots of other things. But in the end, you do an online registration every three years and put a number on your plane. If this is all it amounts to, that we get another number to put next to the AMA number we're already required to have in our models, then I don't see this as a big deal. It could have been a lot worse.

The population of the country has doubled since most of us were kids climbing over a barbed wire fence with our airplanes and annoying the cows. And the technology has gotten to the point where anyone can walk into the local Target and buy an amazingly capable aircraft with a digital camera and fly it themselves. A significant part of the public is worried about this. I don't think they should be, but I understand that they are, and I understand that politicians are going to respond to that. This is not a government power grab and the money is insignificant. It's public fear and lack of knowledge, and politicians being politicians. Our own lobby stopped the worst ideas, and what's left after the face-saving and compromises are all done with ain't that bad.

Jim
The problem is it starts at $5 then in 3 years they need to raise the price to cover "administrative costs" so it goes to $50, and every 3 years it goes up. Or it a registration at first one per owner, then it goes to one for each airplane, next you have to be a licensed pilot, then each airplane has to be inspected by a FAA certified inspector, then they start regulations on construction, materials, etc. etc. etc. This is the tip of the iceberg not the whole iceberg.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (02-10-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.