Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:22 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Thats cool. I can go up to a 125 with my starter box and panel, its that GP field box with detachable power pack. I have an AGM battery in it and works pretty good. Charging it was a bear until I decided to Frankenstein it with bolts on either side connected to the battery. Now I can use my AGM battery charger without needing to run it through the panel.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We used to have a TV set that would go out on us. I can remember that my dad would bring his Oscilloscope home from work and take the TV apart on the kitchen table to figure out what was wrong. After the first two times it happened he figured out it was the same part going bad, and after that he could get it fixed in about 30 minutes. I was so amazed in what my dad could do. He's where I got my love for RC from. We never did any RC flying, but we did just about everything else RC together. Boats, cars, tanks, etc.... we would do it. We could have more fun with a Cox .049 control line plane than should have been allowed. We lived out in the country and our back yard was about 2 acres of grass, so we had plenty of room. We saved a huge box that we got when we got when we bought a riding lawn mower and we would use that as a runway/landing area, sort of a carrier type landings area. I can remember summers that I couldn't wait for my dad to get home so we could eat dinner and then go out and spend the evening taking turns flying those little Cox planes. We had so much fun doing that. And when they would break we would glue then back together and keep going until you couldn't glue them together any more. We actually wore out several of those little engines we flew so much.

It's a shame that kids these days don't do things like that. Nowadays they just sit inside all day and night playing video games. Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE computer geek. Heck, I was a computer geek before the term "computer geek" came into being. I owned some of the first commercially available computers that I would spend all night on. And I owned an Atari 2600 that I wore out several joysticks on. But I still would spend tons of time outside with my dad in the evenings flying control line with him. Or spend Sundays with him at the pond doing RC sailboat racing regattas. Just getting outside makes a world of difference.

Ok. I'll get off my soapbox now!!!!

Ken
Old 11-07-2016, 01:06 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
What are those black cases?

I have done auto AC so have quite a good understanding of all HVAC, including RV Refers. The way you use heat to make cold in one is really interesting, and must have been how they did it way back when with Ammonia and Hydrogen and water.
When I was a kid as a treat he would take me with him occasional on once such trip we went to a meat packing plant. Man, those old Ammonia units would open your sinuses right up the minute you walked into the door..
Old 11-07-2016, 01:29 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I will second what Ken said , we as youngsters had both our inside (Lionel trains) and outside (model planes) tech based hobbies as well as of course the neighborhood stickball games and ice hockey as well as street hockey , lots of things to do both in the house and out . A balance of the two is what's missing when folks have one hobby only , like the video games that keep far too many indoors these days .

Anyway here's a fun little computer story for you all , my youngest sister called me telling me "my computer keeps shutting off , can you fix it ?" Now of course I don't really know much about computers per se but I told her that a lot of times when it outright shuts off like that it means it's getting too hot , and maybe there is dust in there blocking the fan . Well sure enough when I took the heat sink off of the processor and took the fan off of it , this is what I was greeted with . A few minutes with some compressed air and a bit of new thermal compound and the computer now runs perfectly without randomly shutting off . Heat , caused by dust , I'll bet is the #1 killer of electronics today and I try to blow the dust out of all my stuff on an occasional basis for that very reason .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust!.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	803.0 KB
ID:	2189292  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 PM
acdii

Dust killed my Playstation 3.

When I was a kid we used to play baseball in the intersection. I remember fondly running to catch a ball, only to run smack dab into a stop sign. That bugger was shaking and bongin, and I was flat on my back laughing so hard I couldnt see. That and playing in the fire hydrant. We spent hour upon hours playing D&D in the back yard and swimming too.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Ancientone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 89 and built my first model in 1936. I also flew in the 1941 NATs. (AMA 3792) Have built 6 experimental homebuilt airplanes. My current plane is a WAIEX 2 place but have never stopped building models except for a WWll tour in the Philippines. Currently building a Dave Platt Spitfire. I need to get this finished before my kids take away my car keys.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Ancientone
I am 89 and built my first model in 1936. I also flew in the 1941 NATs. (AMA 3792) Have built 6 experimental homebuilt airplanes. My current plane is a WAIEX 2 place but have never stopped building models except for a WWll tour in the Philippines. Currently building a Dave Platt Spitfire. I need to get this finished before my kids take away my car keys.
When the time comes let them have the keys but stipulate taxi service to the flying field and fight tooth and nail if they try to take the transmitter!!!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

I went down to vote this morning at 9:00 and I was in and out in only 10 minutes!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:40 AM
acdii

Same here. Funny thing, in IL you would think there would be Democrats for every office, but in my area, they are all republicans on the ballot. Weird being that IL is democratic controlled.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

We had a good mixture with some Libertarians thrown in. The exception was County Court Clerk, which had no Democrat just a Republican and a Libertarian. We had a bunch of state questions for State Constitution changes on this ballot too. One of which won't stand up to a Federal court challenge but the pinhead morons are still willing to waste state money having it on the ballot, voting for it, and attempting to defend it in Federal court. A friend of mine in Maryland said there were no Libertarians on his ballot but he did have some Green Party candidates.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I went down to vote this morning at 9:00 and I was in and out in only 10 minutes!
I went for early voting 3 times a week ago last Wed., the line was so long each time I decided to waited till last Friday, the last day for early voting and went in at noon, took only 20 min.
There aint no Clinton bumper stickers or lawn signs round here!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 AM
acdii

There were a couple libertarians on my ballot along with term limits and to stop campaign funding from lobbyists, both were a oh hell yes from me, along with a really big OH HELL YES for pubic road funds to be used for JUST public road funds. I voted for the next 20 years, not the next 4, so hope it goes well.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I hit McDonald's at ten to 6 this morning for an Egg McMuffin and a large cup of coffee, and then headed to my polling station. I got there at 6 and there were 10 people in line ahead of me. We stood outside and chatted and had a good time until they open the doors at 7. I admit I had to sit for a little while because I just had a knee replacement in September, but other than that we had a great time in line. But by the time the doors open the line was wrapped down and around the church and probably was at least 60-90 minutes or more of wait time. I had my ballot in hand at 7:10 am and was out at 7:15 am. My wife was royally pissed at me because she kept trying to get me to go with her to do early voting at the courthouse on Saturday thinking that she was going to beat the lines. We are self employed so we have to balance when we go as opposed to keeping the shop open. Since I told her I wasn't going on Saturday with her she decided to go on her day off on Friday instead and ended up standing in line for almost 3 hours to vote. She was pissed at me because I only stood in line for an hour and fifteen minutes. I told her all along to come with me Tuesday morning and get to the polling place as soon as the doors opened and beat the crowd, but she didn't believe me. Oh well!!!

Ken
Old 11-08-2016, 12:39 PM
acdii

My polling place opened at 6AM, and I was in and out in about 10 minutes too. I just hope that the votes get correctly counted, the scanner wasn't online when I voted and all ballots were placed in the ballot box.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 PM
FlyerInOKC

I work from home so going around 9 to 9:30 AM seems to work best for me. I get in vote for the unindited co-conspirators of my choice and get out with a minimum amount of wait. I prefer to vote the non- incumbent candidate, you get more crooks off the street that way. ;-)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:41 PM
acdii

Same here. I hope the one I voted for doesn't turn into a quack for all she's worth.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:44 PM
FlyerInOKC

I wonder how long the loser is going to whine about it being fixed?
Old 11-08-2016, 01:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I wonder how long the loser is going to whine about it being fixed?
I have a feeling that no matter who wins we're going to be hearing the whining going on for quite some time!!!!

Ken
Old 11-08-2016, 01:38 PM
FlyerInOKC

I think you're right Ken!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:41 PM
acdii

You got that right. I see a repeat of 2000.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:08 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by RCKen
I hit McDonald's at ten to 6 this morning for an Egg McMuffin and a large cup of coffee, and then headed to my polling station. I got there at 6 and there were 10 people in line ahead of me. We stood outside and chatted and had a good time until they open the doors at 7. I admit I had to sit for a little while because I just had a knee replacement in September, but other than that we had a great time in line. But by the time the doors open the line was wrapped down and around the church and probably was at least 60-90 minutes or more of wait time. I had my ballot in hand at 7:10 am and was out at 7:15 am. My wife was royally pissed at me because she kept trying to get me to go with her to do early voting at the courthouse on Saturday thinking that she was going to beat the lines. We are self employed so we have to balance when we go as opposed to keeping the shop open. Since I told her I wasn't going on Saturday with her she decided to go on her day off on Friday instead and ended up standing in line for almost 3 hours to vote. She was pissed at me because I only stood in line for an hour and fifteen minutes. I told her all along to come with me Tuesday morning and get to the polling place as soon as the doors opened and beat the crowd, but she didn't believe me. Oh well!!!

Ken
Hi Ken , I'm one of those folks who showed up at 6:59 am for the polls which opened at 7:00 and I was done and in my car driving away by 7:15 . As to your knee , you have my utmost prayers for your healing , I remember back in September when you told me about it and I have often thought of you since then . I was almost 10 years older than you are now when I had mine done and I truly believe there is no more painful operation than knee replacement .
Old 11-09-2016, 07:40 AM
acdii

Yeah, all over but the crying, and bag packing, and leaving. LOL I swear, this has been one very entertaining election year.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

I wonder how long it will take Trump to realize what he got himself into? Now he has to actually do something and there is no love for him on either side of the aisle.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:50 AM
init4fun

I wonder how long it will take Trump to realize what he got himself into? Now he has to actually do something and there is no love for him on either side of the aisle.
I do believe , that as much as folks at any other time in our history did for better or worse , once the sting of the election begins to fade , folks will accept (or "love to hate") Trump as much as they did Obama and Nixon and every other elected President we've ever had .
Old 11-09-2016, 10:06 AM
acdii

I believe that he will run the office much the same way he runs business. Hire the best to fill the cabinet, and negotiate with congress as if he were looking to build a resort or golf course. When it comes to foreign relations, he may do well, or he may not, but at the very least, he wont bow to anyone. He can go very far mainly because of his love of this country and his admiration for those who serve. Everyone who I had a choice to vote for said that they would work to support the troops and VA and fix what is broken with it, and I am hoping this time, they mean it. At the very least, SCOTUS is safe from leaning to much in one direction the next 20 years. This was my biggest concern with this election, I was looking out for the next 20 years, not the next 4.

I laugh because the media and pollsters are stumped at how this happened. There was a graph on the NYT website that showed HRC at 80% and Trump at 20%, at the other end of the graph, HRC was at <5% and Trump at 95%. It made an X in the middle. I can tell you how this happened, We the people are fed up with run of the mill lifetime politicians, thats how. Oh PLEASE get Term Limits Trump, PLEASE!!! That would make for the largest change that will correct the down slide our country has taken. Also I think their bias had something to do with it, I mean, after all, a few of them were so shell shocked they were in tears, and not happy tears.

Oh this was the most enjoyable election I have ever seen. Now it is even more entertaining as HRC supporters implode all over FB and MSN. LOL, very entertaining yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.