Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Useless!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Maybe we will all be required to have our AMA and FAA numbers tattooed on our foreheads?????????

Most of this stuff will go away in time, there will be a lot of broken toys that will never be repaired from lack of interest/cash! Then the serious few might be brought into the fold!
That's typically how it works. Lots of folks thought morse code was going to die when the FCC removed the requirement from the amateur radio license exam. Yet today morse code is alive and more popular then ever because the folks who didn't need it to earn their license took an interest in it and learned it due to the challenge it presented.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:28 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Maybe we will all be required to have our AMA and FAA numbers tattooed on our foreheads?????????

In reverse so U can read them in a mirror.

Most of this stuff will go away in time, there will be a lot of broken toys that will never be repaired from lack of interest/cash! Then the serious few might be brought into the fold!
Indubitably.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 PM
troopcar

If I read the gun stats correctly, gun violence is slowly coming down due to millions of us LEGALLY carrying handguns, something like 1 in 5 around these parts. The assault against gun owners continues however (because they can). This registration scheme will not work because those clowns that think it's funnyhaha to fly a drone (meaning lil quad copters) near airports & approach corridors could care less about this "registration" process........they are not in it for the enjoyment of the hobby but as an extension of the video game genre or just "for kicks". I have flown full size aircraft for decades at an airport that has a large r/c model strip right next to the main runway. Not one incident I can recall in 40 years. They self police very well. So now what is done about the clowns in the back of a pickup truck going down a public highway at the opposite end of that runway "racing" their new 4/6 rotor "drones" about 50 feet up right acrossed the approach end of that (or any) airport? Those two guys certainly will not register & mark their "drones"............over in high powered rocketry we beat the Feds on them trying to say our large scale rockets used explosives as engine propellants. We beat the BATFE in federal court regarding that issue. Amonium perchlorate is NOT an explosive. It took a ton of donated dollars for the lawyers and about 7 years but we won. Why we can't do that here? I am building several large scale models all over 55 lbs. So I wonder what the FAA has cooked up for the >55# size? Just as the BATFE agent just about had heart failure when he saw a 12ft high large scale rocket, it won't be long that an FAA "enforcer" in the field sees a large scale jet powered F-104 or SR-71 and sets out to paperwork them to death.........
Old 12-20-2015, 02:02 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was on Leno that they held a race between morse code people and the fastest texter in the US or in the world, or something like that.

Guess who won?
Old 12-20-2015, 03:39 PM
TJ EWING

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Not sure what part you are disagreeing with.
The $5 fee for hobbyist:
"An individual owner registering small unmanned aircraft operated exclusively as model aircraft must pay a single fee of $5 for the issuance of a Certificate of Aircraft Registration and registration number and an additional $5 fee every three years for renewal of the registration. As previously noted, for owners of small unmanned aircraft used exclusively as model aircraft, this registration constitutes registration for all small unmanned aircraft of a single owner, provided those aircraft are all used exclusively as model aircraft. Thus, for this population, part 48 provides cost reduction as compared to part 47, which requires aircraft owners to submit a separate application and $5 fee for each aircraft the owner would like to register."

Or the credit card:
"The fee for small unmanned aircraft registration must be submitted through the web-based registration application process. The registration system will permit the use of any credit, debit, gift or prepaid card using the Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, or Diners Club network."

If it is the 30-day deal, I think this is a discretionary action to get as many as possible to sign up early so they can demonstrate what a wonderful job they are doing and justify additional employees to build their empires.
Nailed it on the 30 day theory.
TJE
Old 12-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
But really what is so difficult about obtaining a FREE Registration Number and placing it in/on your R/C TOY.
Free now. But there aren't many websites I can currently think of that I have populated with my name, address, Social Security number and credit card all in one handy location. My bank(s) probably have it, but I didn't enter it on-line. If it's "free" they don't need my credit card number. I won't do it for "free" credit checks, either.

I don't care so much about the fee or the requirement to register. I register my car and boat, have a drivers's license, etc.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recant. I guess the SSN is not required.

But everything I see as "what must be registered" in their FAQ and examples is a multi-rotor. I believe there is a case for not bothering with fixed wing models. They need to define "UAS" and "Drone" very specifically. The link below shows examples of yes/no . . .and they are ALL multi-rotor.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/...gistration.pdf