Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

how much crashing is typical?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

how much crashing is typical?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:30 AM
sosterhaus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, 4 years ago at age 66 finally had time to get into RC - my Dad and I played a bit with control line as a kid but not well. Do have decent eye hand coordination from days in sports but man was this a huge challenge. Started with instructor at local club on the buddy box and did a so-so first solo. Thereafter not pretty, fair amount of crashes but some decent flights/landings but sure not what I had anticipated. Following year same issues and with help from club so-so but ready to give up

Then decided to get a simulator and spent fair amount of time with it and wow, what a difference. Finally became bit more proficient and no more crashing except when an elevator servo died and 1st low wing that had a mfg problem with firewall (they replaced plane at no cost). Now not every landing last year was perfect, but no repair work required and now really love the sport and look forward to the coming season. Do avoid high winds or strong crosswinds but have tried here and there w/o major damage. Still bit nervous but that probably keeps me focused.

Still practice on simulator during the winter especially on new planes I will be flying, and working with up to 20 mph winds. The simulator has made all the difference and while bit pricey, far cheaper than just 1 plane sent to burn barrel. FWIW.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And just downright stubbornness!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Poor vision and poor choice of planes for trainers do not bode well for success.
And just downright stubbornness!

Sorry, goofed up on the edit.

Last edited by Stickslammer; 03-08-2018 at 08:45 AM.