Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Looking for RV camping and flying fields

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Looking for RV camping and flying fields

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Toto
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for RV camping and flying fields

I will be retired soon and plan to travel across the Country.

Looking for help or advice. (staying in a hotel, motel not what we want)
I will be traveling the USA with a 32' trailer and looking for camping at a flying field.
Or a campground close to a flying field.
Looking to camp at a spot then able to visit nearby attractions.

I am presently in New York state.
Planning on leaving New York heading down to Florida, then across the bottom to California, Up the coast, then back across to New York.
There is no time frame.
Would like to visit places like, Yellow Stone, MT Rushmore, Grand Cayon, the large Red Wood trees, cave, nation Parks, just to name a few.
camp then site see the area then move on to the next spot.

Getting into national parks on short notice probably will not be avaible. and campgrounds may not be suitable for a 32' trailer.
So, any help or suggests would be help full.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:20 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The 32 ft trailer is limiting in the size of the site needed. There are all kinds of maps and info on dispersed camping.

Kenny of all trades has the right idea on using free or near free camping. I have basically the same setup and I never have a problem with finding a camp spot. Check out his YouTube channel and others who are doing much the same as you want. Some like myself have even reworked our setups to long term camp in winter. There are all kinds of ideas and channels on YouTube, you just have to weed out the chaff from the good advice.

https://www.youtube.com/@KennyOfAllTrades

Below is my set-up and pictures from my trip to Newfoundland. I have found that showing up cold at flying sites most often results in disappointment. I found in the USA, the AMA website gave you contact information about clubs around you or where you intend to travel. In Canada, MAAC is the organization to contact. Club contacts can inform you of when the busy dates and times for the club you wish to visit and will help you avoid cold visits with no one around. Lots of times a call and introduction resulted in more than a few club members showing up to share some flying and visiting with you.

Last edited by Propworn; 12-14-2023 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oskartek (03-19-2024)
Old 12-15-2023, 06:28 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

On your way from NY to FL, I can think of 2 possibilities that are within 2-3 hours of me, 30 miles NW of Atlanta:

1) Triple Tree Aerodrome in Woodruff, SC (2+ hrs NE of Atlanta). This is where the Joe Nall event is held. I'm not sure how it works for people to just roll in, camp and fly, but you can look them up and contact them to ask.

2) Mac Hodges field in Andersonville, GA (2-3 hrs S/SE of Atlanta). I have been there at least twice, back when Mac had a hobby shop on the field. Mac was pretty old back then, so he may be gone now, but I believe some events are still held there, and the field is active. It is a huge place, but they may not have hookups for RVs. I don't have a link saved, so you would have to do some research for information.

I'm sure there are tons of other nice fields that have state parks, national parks, or RV campgrounds nearby, but I can't think of any that I am familiar with.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:48 AM
Toto

Thanks propworn I looked at a few of Kenny of all trades videos and have found some great ideals.
I do like your set up. and looks like a good group of guys.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:15 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Toto
Thanks propworn I looked at a few of Kenny of all trades videos and have found some great ideals.
I do like your set up. and looks like a good group of guys.
They were, and it is a smaller club. I made contact, and we agreed upon a date, when I showed up these were the guys who showed up to welcome me to their field. We flew most of the day, and I was invited to camp at the field as long as I wanted. Nice quiet site for camping. The next morning, some of the same guys showed up to see how I had spent the night and get a few flights on with me before I moved on. This was part of my 6-week tour of Newfoundland. I visited all 8 clubs on the island, even got to fly off of the same airfield that Emilia Earhart flew from crossing the Atlantic.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There is a state park in Denver CO that has an RC field and campground. Really nice place to stay and your trailer will fit just fine. It's called Chatfield, https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/p...s/default.aspx

Model Airplane Flying
For model airplane pilots, Chatfield’s model airplane field provides paved runways, frequency posts, and field regulations for radio-controlled aircraft in an area south of the campgrounds. The Park and Jeffco Aeromodlers entered into an Operational Agreement in March of 2012 to ensure the upkeep and safety of the field. For more information about the agreement and the model airplane flying field at Chatfield, please visit http://www.jeffcoaeromodlers.org. No model rockets allowed.
(Updated: 8/17/2020 10:25 AM)
Old 12-16-2023, 12:47 PM
Toto

thanks for that info will check them out
Old 04-06-2024, 08:41 AM
VINCENT AERIAL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks so good. musy be a lot of fun.