Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Toledo Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Buzzard Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toledo Show

Hi All. I'm going to take a road trip and was thinking about including Toledo. Looks like i would be in Toledo thurs night - sunday morning. I was hoping to spend all day fri and sat at the show.

Any words of advice to a first timer?

thanks, David S.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:40 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Toledo Show

Never been to Toledo, but it's bigger than the WRAM Show so my suggestion would be to get there when the doors open. Unless you enjoy shouldering your way through throngs of people.
Dennis-
Old 03-07-2004, 09:05 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make your hotel reservations now!

I'll be there all 3 days too, really looking forward to it.

BTW, my wife is coming too. Last year she noticed that there were a lot of women there, but not a lot for them to do. She was thinking that if there were enough wives interested, she could do make-over classes for them (Good way to stop her from looking over your shoulder for a few hours). Lemme know if anyone's interested.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:12 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember to breathe and if you dont like shopping malls at Christmas... well, lets just say be patient when trying to walk around in the mass of people

This will be my 7th trip to Toledo (12 hour drive one way for me) and I wouldnt miss it! Bring lots of $$ because the cash machine on site quickly empties. If you want to park close by in the parking garage across the street from the convention center get there EARLY (like 6am) no kidding... and you can start browsing the swap meet tables that early, as guys show up to get their tables when its still dark out.

Its one hell of a good show!

AJC
Old 03-07-2004, 09:25 AM
RCPilot100

David,

I have been going to Toledo for the past 15 years or so. I generally go down on Friday, first thing, and stand in line for what seems forever getting tickets. Once past that, you have to fight huge crowds to discover not everyone is set up yet. Once I make one circuit of the place, downstairs and upstairs, everyone I go with has about had it for the day and we head back home - usually discovering that we missed something. I then end up going back on Sunday, which over the past several years has not had the attendance of Friday or Saturday, so you can get around really good - except that some of the vendors have sold out on what you were looking for.

This year, we will still go on Friday, but we are arriving around lunch time on Friday at Tony Packos and then heading to the Seagate center around 1:00PM. No wait for tickets and others will be tired and leaving for the day or lunch so the crowds shouldn't be too bad. Most everyone should be setup by then. I'll probably go back on Sunday again, but I do think Friday will be a bit less of a hassle.

Don't forget to be able to take lots of pictures - the planes on display are unbelievable. Two planes that I always look for are ones entered by Faye Stilley and Keith Shaw. Faye is a wizard with monokote and Keith always comes up with something that get the saliva glands going.

Dan
Old 03-07-2004, 03:44 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Dates..what are the dates of the show.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:27 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

its the first weekend of april - 2/3/4 this year. there is a site that lists the seminars they have too if you want to go to them. www.toledoshow.com

i have been going for 7-8 years now- its a lot of fun- i do take a break tho to eat lunch- usually off site at a chinese restaurant. then go back after my feet are rested. i live close enough (2 hour drive) that i just go for the day. i go on saturday and get there about 8:30/8:45 usually. tried going friday but the parking is a hassle then because its downtown and the parking lots are all full of the regular working crowd then.. so its a pain to find a close parking place. plus the crowd is about the same as on friday. it does get pretty tight- i usually take some kind of bag to carry any stuff i buy- some of the vendors don't have bags so its handy for that plus any papers you pick up..

ed
Old 03-07-2004, 05:25 PM
DBCherry

i usually take some kind of bag to carry any stuff i buy
Excellent point. I have learned to bring a good size bag to the WRAM Show too. There don't seem to many vendors with bags there, and between all the stuff you just have to buy, and the free stuff (hats, magazine issues and literature), you need a place to hold it all!
Dennis-
Old 03-07-2004, 06:15 PM
twostroker

Thanks Guys,

It is only 1.5 hours from me, and I'll bring a bag.

Tim
Old 03-07-2004, 09:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Leave your jacket in the car - it gets warm on the floor....and wear easy WALKING shoes! Back packs are nice - but have to be 'emptied' a couple of times during the day (the outdoor air IS refreshing - as in COLD!!)....

Jerry
Old 03-08-2004, 11:55 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: twostroker

Thanks Guys,

It is only 1.5 hours from me, and I'll bring a bag.

Tim
Makes me wanna cry. 12 hr drive for me
Old 03-08-2004, 12:38 PM
twostroker

The worst part about it is...I've never been to the Toledo Show. How is that for pitiful! I know..I know, I've been a bad modeler. LOL.

Tim
Old 03-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Buzzard Dave

Lots of great advice, thanks guys.
we will be staying at a downtown hotel right nearby, so will already be parked (i'll be parking thurs eve and don't intend to move the car until sunday).

Do most vendors NOT allow credit card purchases - cash only?

Can one purchase tickets ahead of time (like thurs eve? - or do you just have to wait in the morning line each day?)

also, sounds like you can go in and out during the day -correct?

thanks again, David S.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Kondor Models
Banned

This upcoming Toledo is the 50th Anniversary. I heard they were going to do something extra special this year because of the anniversary...anyone know what it might be?
Matt
Old 03-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Larry Eddy
My Feedback: (24)

Makes me wanna cry. 12 hr drive for me
Less than 2 hours here...

Myself, Marc, Erick, Michael and Nathan will all be at the show all 3 days. We weren't able to get a booth (long waiting list) so we will be just working the floor with cameras and a couple video cams.

Look forward to meeting some more loyal RCU guys (and gals).
Old 03-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Larry Eddy

This upcoming Toledo is the 50th Anniversary. I heard they were going to do something extra special this year because of the anniversary...anyone know what it might be?

[link=http://www.blaineaustin.com/e-toc.htm]Click here for more details![/link]

I'm not sure if this is it, but you should plan to check it out if you are going to be around Friday night.

"The E-TOC is the first invitational event of its kind. TnT Landing Gear has brought together the top freestyle pilots in the world for a freestyle competition. You will see some of the best flyers in the world competing with a wide range of electric planes available today for a GRAND PRIZE of $1000 CASH. This is truly a must see event. Each contestant will fly a 2 minute freestyle to music. This event is geared specifically towards entertaining the crowd. Tickets are $5 and are available from TnT Landing Gear at 419-868-5408. There will be a limited number sold. Tickets are on a first come first serve basis. "

Competitors
1.Chip Hyde USA
2. Jason Shulman USA
3. Quique Somenzini Argentina
4. Mike McConville USA
5. Pete Goldsmith Australia
6. Sean McMurtry USA
7. John Glezellis USA
8. Frank Noll USA
9. George Hicks USA
10. Jason Noll USA
11. Andrew Jesky USA
12. Jason Krause USA
Old 03-08-2004, 04:53 PM
rc247

Larry,

you should warn the users to put their sunglasses on before viewing your message! Looks like it will be a fun time though

Bill
Old 03-08-2004, 05:36 PM
RCPilot100

Dave,

To answer your questions, 1) lots of vendors take plastic, but cash works quicker for small stuff. And you will end up with lots of small stuff. But no, you won't need $1,400 cash to buy that DA. 2) no advance ticket sales. 3) yes, you get hand stamped to go in & out all day.

Dan
Old 03-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Larry Eddy

Does anyone know anybody know any Weak Signals members or somebody that helps out with the Toledo Show? RCU is trying to get some press passes so we can video and photo coverage for all that can't make it but we haven't been able to get any response. Can anyone out there help? [sm=confused.gif]

[edited for ther proper use of 'there' and 'their']
Old 03-09-2004, 12:00 PM
rc247

Can't you just pay the $7 admission like the rest of us?

Bill
Old 03-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Larry Eddy

ORIGINAL: rc247
Can't you just pay the $7 admission like the rest of us?
Bill
Yes we can and that is not the issue. RCU gladly supports these kind of events. The issue is, that if we can't get a press pass, we can't get in until the gates open. At this point, we can't get the time with the vendors/distributors that we need to get the video interviews and such. We do not want to bother them when they are attempting to make a living.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:49 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

What time is the E-TOC on friday
Old 03-09-2004, 04:10 PM
MinnFlyer

Larry, have you tried emailing them through their site? I emailed them a few weeks ago about doing a symposium, and I got a reply the next day.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:58 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try contacting Wayne Yeager....he's in charge of things like that....

Jerry
Old 03-10-2004, 05:29 PM
kroflite54
My Feedback: (5)

hi fellas;

this will be number 38 for me.i had to miss one because i was in the service; DARN.Last year there were 225 venders and hope there will be a few more.Like the others say;bring some money .all the upstairs is full of swap tables.The toledo show is the grandaddy of them all.

ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.