Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Looks like a great place.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 11:12 PM
Damnathius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like a great place.

Hi all,

I've been looking for a good online R/C forum, and found the URL in the latest RCM for this site in C. Lee's column.

I used to fly R/C power planes back in the early 90s, and have recently rediscovered the thrill of it. So many things have changed in 11 years, especially the quality of ARFs! I like to build, but have yet to "build" anything this time around. I've been considering a Top Flite Hawker Sea Fury but remain undecided, or a Balsa USA Nieuport 17. Yes, my tastes vary considerably.

My current stable includes a Great Planes Tiger Moth with a Saito 150, a Great Planes built-up .25 size Cub with a LA .25, and 2 Sig Rascal Fortys, one with an OS .52 and the other with an OS LA .46. Just sold the Great Planes Extra 300 40 size with the Saito .91. Yeah, I love 4 stroke motors.

Great to be here!

Dave
Old 09-28-2002, 12:05 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Welcome Dave!

Come back as often as you can....sounds like you have a wee bit of info to share.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:28 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Welcome to our little place Dave. How's lancaster these days??? Use to live in Palmdale centuries ago and then California City. Worked at NASA at the base in the early 70's then the Kern county Sheriff's Dept, but been up here since '74. Last time I was down there in '90 things sure had grown a lot, but heck it's like that everywhere. Now stay awhile and enjoy.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:27 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard to our humble abode here in cyberspace. If you need answers just ask and we have more RC knowledge on this site than anywhere else on the planet. Between the members in these forums and the manufacturers helping here in their direct support forums we have you covered!
Old 09-28-2002, 06:32 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Dave, and Welcome.....judging by your post and equipment, your in the right place for sure. There's a world of info right here, and so so much experience to draw from.

Glad you found us...most of us are very addicted to RC, and there's always new info coming in here everyday... I'm to the point I have to have my RCU fix at least several times a day.

There's also alot of features in the site that you might come to like, like the PM(private messaging), posting of pics, email notification, personal avatars...etc..you'll get it.

Sit down, grab your brew of choice, and click away...
Old 09-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Damnathius

Thanks for the welcome.

"Wee bit of info", Mike? I wouldn't go so far, unless it pertains to oversize engines. I'd rather have too much power than too little as you can always adjust your max throttle setting.

GrnBrt, Lancaster is most likely not the place you remember, even since your last visit in the early 90s. Lots of "undesireables" have moved into the area, and it is certainly not the town I grew up in. I'm looking forward to moving in a few years to our property in Golden Valley, Az. You worked at NASA huh? I work there myself in the refrigeration maintenance and repair field. Working for the gov is just getting harder and harder these days though, with lots of what I would consider unnecessary hoops to jump through just to do our job.

RCadmin, I'm quite sure there's a wealth of knowledge here judging by the size of the community. I still have a lot of looking around to do!

DGrant, I think I have become re-addicted myself! So many planes and motors, so little time and money! I'm pretty familiar with message boards, but the inclination has dwindled since taking up R/C again with most of my time spent in the garage. However, I won't be surprised to find myself spending a little more time on the computer since I found this site.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 09-28-2002, 07:19 PM
Mike James

Default You found it!

Welcome, Dave,

Lots of good people here...Very few "problem" types, and a ton... No, many tons of information available. This has to be the best RC forum anywhere.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:39 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Welcome Dave

I too am re-entering the hobby, last time I was into it was in 94 and before that was 75 to 81. I also lived in Palmdale area in 97-98 and I concur with your response to GRNBRT.

These Guys who moderate this site are great, and do an excellent job of keeping in order and resolving whatever questions.

I have learned an immense amount in the last month that I have been on this site. I find that this is a very good use of our WWW
and home computers. I still am stuck on 4 servo set up for example, and when did we go to dual servos for ailerons?

Anyway welcome and enjoy, And to help solve you decision

Take the Hawker Sea fury and place it on one side of a balance scale and place the Nieuport 17 on the other side and there you
have the answer (:

Dan Z.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Damnathius

Thanks Mike... Still lookin' around!

Dan, it seems that the kits are going to take a back burner having seen in person a GP Patty Wagstaff 1/4 scale Extra 300. What a beauty! Besides, I've been itching to try gas motors and it would be a perfect candidate.

Old 09-30-2002, 12:06 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

welcome from a fellow Californian!