Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FSA Clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 PM
kwjmdss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FSA Clubhouse

Stop it, you hurt me, I fell out of my chair laughing.

ORIGINAL: DMichael

NERD
Old 11-19-2008, 04:42 PM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, some people would be offended by that remark.

Really I'd rather be working but thanks to the banks and government
things are rather slow right now.

Anyway today I painted this canopy. I had to steal some of my kids
stickers for the stars, I am not loving the one big one but it looks OK.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10400.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1075139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39922.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1075140  
Old 11-19-2008, 04:49 PM
dditch

Kelly, that looks great. Very patriotic.
What blades are those and did they come like that?

You said paint the canopy, is the red and blue paint? What did you use?

thx

David
Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 PM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blades came painted that way so I figured I would go with it.

I painted the canopy (red and blue) with Dupont Croma Base.
Clear was Nason (lower grade Dupont) clear coat.

It was left over from painting the Carden 40% planes.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 AM
kkling77
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: kregan

Dave, some people would be offended by that remark.

Really I'd rather be working but thanks to the banks and government
things are rather slow right now.

Anyway today I painted this canopy. I had to steal some of my kids
stickers for the stars, I am not loving the one big one but it looks OK.

At least you're ready for the 4th of July.....
Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 AM
kwjmdss

Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 AM
weathervane

Happy Thanksgiving FSA
Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 AM
kpm

Happy Thanksgiving.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Check out this inspiring story from a little boy. You gotta see this.

http://www.komonews.com/
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=450_1226728929
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d6d_1226133365

Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 PM
thunder21
My Feedback: (2)

I stopped by the field today and found the gates closed and the lock in-place, but not locked. Was this done for a reason or is someone up to some shenanigans?
Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 AM
weathervane

ORIGINAL: thunder21

I stopped by the field today and found the gates closed and the lock in-place, but not locked. Was this done for a reason or is someone up to some shenanigans?
I left it like that when I left, BUT Mark J was still there flying. This was around 9:30 am on Thursday.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 AM
kpm

How were the conditions there yesterday? Any good for flying?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
weathervane

Where is everyone?

I have been working on two new planes . I have a third sitting in the box just waiting to be opened. The two I'm working on right now will be electric and the kit will be nitro. (I think) If I have time this winter I might start a plan build of a small park flyer size plane. That remains to be seen.

-Andrew
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
kwjmdss

Electric Mark,

With your inspiration... I finally got around to putting some graphics on my Seagull Extra 300s.... Cecil says "it looks like I am a Chargers fan" I like your original design but could not find it quickly when I was ready to cut monocote. I did not get a chance to fly it yesterday, but I made sure everyone saw it. I definitely did not want to put bars or diamonds on the wings. Took about 2 hours of cutting. Blue dots are my CG points. Cub yellow and dark blue trim.

I applied some color trim to my new Sukhoi. This model was really hard to see in the air. Blue and silver are not the best choices for aircraft covering as far as visibility goes. The orange should really stand out;-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31163.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1083676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58530.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1083677  
Old 12-04-2008, 01:54 PM
thunder21
My Feedback: (2)

Bill,
Nice work. The trim looks like it was a lot of work. To create the templates for my graphics, I used a picture of a lightning bolt I found on the internet and modified it using Photoshop. I printed the templates out on my printer and transferred the pattern to the time using a marker.

I might be selling the Sukhoi airframe (no motor/servos) soon. It has a mount for a glow motor. I think it calls for an .82 four stroke but anything in the .60-.90 size would fly it well. So if anyone is interested, let me know. It's a great pattern type plane but it's too stable for my 3D tastes.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
kwjmdss

Well I created a paper pattern with French curves until I got the basic shape.... Then i removed the pattern from the plane and finished the lightning bolt notches.... I cut out the paper pattern and taped it at every notch to the monocoat.... I cut with sissors and a razer knife.... flipped the pattern over and cut another one for the other side... yes it did take a while for the edge tape.

If the Suhkoi is not 3D wild enough for you, you need to check in at the Betty Ford clinic for addicted 3D fliers (BFCA3DF). I might be interested in the Suhkoi. I will take a look next time you have it out there.

I got four flights in on the Extra 300 today... no wind, a bit cold but not bad... it was wonderful flying weather. The Extra 300 was cooking around the field. With a new prop, it was flying as fast as I have ever seen it. Extra means; extra fun.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Montague

Just remember that most Extras aren't designed to go fast. Keep an eye on the tail surfaces and when you're flying, listen for anything that sounds out of the ordinary, espeically any buzzing or anything like that.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:55 PM
kwjmdss

Kirk, one thing you have to realize... my idea of fast and yours are two different things. On one fast pass today(not a real low pass), I was listening for just what you are describing. There was no buzz or any noise other than engine. The horizontal stabs of this airplane are very reinforced with 4-40 wire connections. So while this plane will never hit any speed records, it is quick for my eye right now. I have been taught that any unusual sound or noise is reason to bring it in and find out what is going on. It happened with the tail on my trainer, but you could only hear the buzz coming out of loops. The tail anchorage points had broken.

ORIGINAL: Montague

Just remember that most Extras aren't designed to go fast. Keep an eye on the tail surfaces and when you're flying, listen for anything that sounds out of the ordinary, espeically any buzzing or anything like that.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Montague

That's cool. Hey, I've seen several guys rip parts off their planes by going well past Vne. . Pretty dramatic, but not fun for the plane's owner.

And yeah, "fast" is certainly all relitive.

It does sound like you're getting more from the plane with a different prop, and that's really cool. A lot of guys seem to just bolt on the first prop they find anywhere in the engine's recommended size, and never try other props to see if it pulls the plane better.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 AM
kwjmdss

Beings as how (great English hugh??) the plane's users manual does not state a recommended Vne value, I am happy to assume unlimited. Just kidding... I am the first one to admit that I don't know enough about prop selection. So I try different combinations. It is like getting a new airplane for nearly free. So many things can change the flying characteristics. I have a whole toolbox full of props to experiment with and had the 14" wood prop been balanced yesterday... I would (er wood) have tried it too. I know that I like to fly fast, but yesterday included some slow stall high beta flight too!

So how does one go about finding the VNE??? Fly it faster and faster until it destroys itself, then back off 5%?

ORIGINAL: Montague

That's cool. Hey, I've seen several guys rip parts off their planes by going well past Vne. . Pretty dramatic, but not fun for the plane's owner.

And yeah, "fast" is certainly all relitive.

It does sound like you're getting more from the plane with a different prop, and that's really cool. A lot of guys seem to just bolt on the first prop they find anywhere in the engine's recommended size, and never try other props to see if it pulls the plane better.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM
weathervane

Well I finished up one of the planes that I was working on. Sort of. All the framing and covering is done. I need to put in the servos and electronics yet. Never the less I got done what I wanted to do. Now I can start putting time in on the second plane. This one is going to test my skills a bit. I need to pay a lot of attention to detail with this one. I do not have a lot of work to do, but what needs to be done is going to be a challenge.

-Andrew
Old 12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
kwjmdss

Kirk,

You got me thinking about "Just how fast is my plane going around the field?" How can I measure it? Now Easily? I went out to the internet in search of an answer... maybe a simple circuit I could build and some timing towers. Get a cop drunk and take his radar gun.... (OJ says don't try that)...

I think that I found my answer in the Doppler effect. It is possible to determine the speed of the object measuring the sound wave lags produced. You should not have to get close to do this...I found a German software program that can take an audio file and measure the Doppler effect and convert it to speed with a slight measurement error.... for example 70mph +/-1mph

Pretty cool.... All we do is hook up a microphone to a laptop, and we are ready to find out who is the real king demon of speed at Kontera field. My guess is that the Fokker DVIIs do not need apply. We can measure that elusive Vne and back off 1%

Bill
Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 PM
weathervane

Why not just put a small GPS unit on the plane? It will record how fast the plane is going. ( We use them on our R/C boats)

ORIGINAL: wjkssmd

Kirk,

You got me thinking about "Just how fast is my plane going around the field?" How can I measure it? Now Easily? I went out to the internet in search of an answer... maybe a simple circuit I could build and some timing towers. Get a cop drunk and take his radar gun.... (OJ says don't try that)...

I think that I found my answer in the Doppler effect. It is possible to determine the speed of the object measuring the sound wave lags produced. You should not have to get close to do this...I found a German software program that can take an audio file and measure the Doppler effect and convert it to speed with a slight measurement error.... for example 70mph +/-1mph

Pretty cool.... All we do is hook up a microphone to a laptop, and we are ready to find out who is the real king demon of speed at Kontera field. My guess is that the Fokker DVIIs do not need apply. We can measure that elusive Vne and back off 1%

Bill
Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 PM
kwjmdss

I did not consider them, I was envisioning a system for a contest.... and cheap... cheap... cheap. I heard your GPS units are about $100. I don't know much about them other than what I saw the Univ of MD students dropping from their plane.

ORIGINAL: weathervane

Why not just put a small GPS unit on the plane? It will record how fast the plane is going. ( We use them on our R/C boats)

Old 12-08-2008, 09:27 AM
rotorheadbob

For those not on the FSA Mailing Group, I posted the December Newsletter on the club website. You can find it at http://www.freestateaeromodelers.org...er_12_2008.pdf

Since I saw some interest a few weeks back for a heli fly in, I'm planning such an event tentatively scheduled for Sept 26th, 2009. I have some ideas to start with, but I need a sense of what you want the event to be. It will be an AMA sanctioned event and it will have the usual event listing in the AMA mag.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 PM
weathervane

I think we are a bit behind for Sept 26 2007.[X(] Where are the pics in the news letter? It looks good.

ORIGINAL: rotorheadbob

For those not on the FSA Mailing Group, I posted the December Newsletter on the club website. You can find it at http://www.freestateaeromodelers.org...er_12_2008.pdf

Since I saw some interest a few weeks back for a heli fly in, I'm planning such an event tentatively scheduled for Sept 26th, 2007. I have some ideas to start with, but I need a sense of what you want the event to be. It will be an AMA sanctioned event and it will have the usual event listing in the AMA mag.

Thanks!

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.