Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to shoot someone down

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How hard is it to shoot someone down

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:47 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How hard is it to shoot someone down

Macdona,
Wasn't that John _ _ _ ? He has actually had the nerve to show up at the Basin and fly several times within the last two years. Wasn't there a restaining order at one time? I heard he had a bunch of crystals and his radio wired to his car antena.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:10 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

ORIGINAL: onewasp
----intentional RFI is a Federal offense and you should contact the FCC. They tend to be very DIRECT and forceful when they are convinced of the problem. (not easy)
Where did you get that idea? They are way to busy with things like censorship to bother with people playing with model airplanes. I have seen people broadcasting on the HAM bands without a liscense who were turned in and it took months for any action to be taken and that action wasn't even very effective.
You are simply Wrong.
Why is it I feel that that is neither news to you, nor of concern for you.

Laws do nothing. The enforcement of Law takes effort. Check the FCC and ARRL sites.
Nothing about the 'Law' is or ever will be timely. It is always 'after the fact'.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:32 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deleted
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: onewasp
You are simply Wrong.
Why is it I feel that that is neither news to you, nor of concern for you.
Well with a retort like that what can I say other than you just blowing smoke. If you are going to state something than you ought to back it up with something a little more persuasive than "You are wrong and don't ask why".

We had a guy here in Socal jaming repeaters with some political ranting that made him sound like a nut job. He gave a fake call sign (which is easy to verify as you probably know). He was on the air for months and all the operators of the repeaters could do was shut them down when he would start broadcasting. The FCC was neither very DIRECT nor forceful and they were convinced of the problem.

So you think they are going to do something about model airplanes? Get real.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:37 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta agree with Basin Bum as the FCC isn't exactly known for their expediency...unless the NAB complains. It's sometimes fast but we will never bother those guys with our flea powered radios. They never did raid Col Steve Anderson with his nightly rants. Can't remember if he was on the Ham bands or not. The FCC certainly has enough DF cars and vans if they ever wanted to seriously enforce the airwaves.

Basin Bum, you may remember this, but didn't the FCC officially get out of the interference/RFI business about 3-4 years ago and put it on the backs of local law enforcement? I remember this happening, but I forgot the details.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 PM
BasinBum

Maybe now that Howard Stern is off the public airwaves the FCC can concentrate on what they were ment to do in the first place.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Sonyt

How hard would it be for a CB Radio to mess up PCM Modulation say within a mile or so from a field. A home based radio or even a Trucker passing by. Wouldn't they have to be pushing some MEGA Watts to accomplish this or what? Can it happen?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:43 PM
BasinBum

SontT,
Anything "can" happen when it comes to RFI but your scenario is highly unlikely, so much so that for the sake of this discussion we could call it impossible.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM
macdona

Basin Bum; you got it. The clown was at the Madera races with a circiut board pluged into his cigarret lighter. Had it hidden in a paper bag and hooked up to a Futaba antenna epoxed to the fender of his old car. Also had two bags of cyrstals on every frequency. So happened he had a channel 60 plugged in at the time and was out on the spectator line watching when I went in.
Put a citizen arrest on him because the cops didn't know what to do. He in turn accused me of discrimantion and filed a law suit to that fact. We eventually negotiated a deal to drop it. I had to agree not to sue him, which I did as I was already in to attorney fees that were starting to eat me up. At the end of two years he got off because the police said they had lost all of the evidence. So much for our legal system. It has left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. My home owners did cover a good share of the costs though. Thank goodness. Mac
Old 01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
bbbair

Mac;
I don't want to be rude - BUT - did this deviant individual ever indicate "WHY" he was shooting down AC?

A personal grudge against the event / organizers etc??

Why you? (just lucky?)

BTW , sorry for your loss. []
Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
macdona

BTW; The guy came here from another country because he seen our soldiers in his and thought every one here was rich. It didn't work for him and he thought all of us so called rich people were discriminating against him. At least that is the story that came out in the course of two years in court. It really affected his head. To the point I would almost feel sorry for him and the actions he took. He did every thing right, learned our language, become a citizen, he just didn't get rich. He was a modeler, but couldn't afford the planes we were racing in Madera and I think that is why he did what he did. An unlimited had went down earlier in the day, but it couldn't be proved he did it. Mine was proved as with the help of a hand held scanner they found his car in the parking lot with the equipment in it, and still running. He was a little off, as he would write letters to the judge, my lawyer, the district attorney, and even his state senator in Washington complaining about discrimination. That is the only why I know of. Mac
Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It's a shame that Reno racer didn't veer off and hit his stupid a**. On the other side of the coin. Good thing it didn't hit someone else. He could have killed some kid. Then the police would have know what to do with him.

David
Old 01-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Cyclic Hardover

You really are an idiot.

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Maybe you should let him back in the club. It works both ways. Not that it's right but thats life.
Fits with local practices. They let drunk drivers back on the road around here, why not let drunk R/C pilots back at the field.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:13 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Are you incapable of discussing things without insulting others?
You really are an idiot.

quote:

quote:

Maybe you should let him back in the club. It works both ways. Not that it's right but thats life.

Fits with local practices. They let drunk drivers back on the road around here, why not let drunk R/C pilots back at the field.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 PM
rcisfun2222

Cyclic Hardover,
You are missing the point, nobody ask for your opinion if the guy should be let back into the club. The question was how hard is to shut somebody down.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
BasinBum

Are you incapable of discussing things without insulting others?
Chuck,
I think you mean capable. Your sentence is a double negative which only lends credence to Cyclic's argument.

ORIGINAL: rcisfun2222

Cyclic Hardover,
You are missing the point, nobody ask for your opinion if the guy should be let back into the club. The question was how hard is to shut somebody down.
I think he was trying to "shut" Chuck down by calling him and idiot.

None of this matters anyways as I'm sure it will all get deleted soon.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee, I hope you guys don't start shooting each other down.........(g)
Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

Anybody ever seen that show called Cheaters on cable ??? You guys could have your girlfriend call them up and act like your this guys wife . They would send thier detectives out with a video cammera and follow this guy around to see if he is cheating on her . FREE Private detectives ...
Then they would come back to her and tell her all we got is video of him sitting by a flying field with his transmitter ...Have her ask for a copy of that tape and you got him ..
On the other hand maybe he is cheating on his woman and you could get a copy of that tape .Show it to him and say one more plane down your wife gets this along with your car , truck , house , and a bunch of child support ....... Just Playing here !!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:39 AM
MarkSS

Old 01-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Roby

I'm still interested to know.

Do they let the suspicious former member back in or not ?

Roby
Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Are you referring to me as a drunken pilot?

Old 01-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: macdona

An unlimited had went down earlier in the day, but it couldn't be proved he did it. Mine was proved as with the help of a hand held scanner they found his car in the parking lot with the equipment in it, and still running. Mac
MACDONA, that's a scarey story. How far do you estimate his car was parked from the flight line ? In other words, how close does a second transmitter need to be, to effectively destroy another plane ? ? ?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Are you referring to me as a drunken pilot?
Of course not, I don't even know you. The reason cited for the person being banned from the club was "drinking alcohol". There has been alot of press recently about drunk drivers in NC getting back on the road, and ending up with multiple DUI/DWI offenses. That's what lead to my comment.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:08 PM
macdona

geebeejim; His car was in the parking lot about one quarter mile from the number two pylon where I went in. The signal he was putting out was terrific and I was surprised he didn't hit me on take off. I believe the way he was parked, looking down between a row of hangars right at the pylon, and my flying at about twenty feet altitude is the reason I didn't get hit untill I arrived at the pylon.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: macdona

geebeejim; His car was in the parking lot about one quarter mile from the number two pylon where I went in. The signal he was putting out was terrific
Hymmmmmm, was he using a stock R/C transmitter, or something with a more powerful amplifier ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.