Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How many people fly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:38 PM
cliffclof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people fly?

I searched for this info, but couldn't come up with a lot. Does anyone have a rough estimate to the number of rc aircraft pilots out there in the world?

I figure there must be around 100 - 200 thousand based on how many members are on RCU. Does anyone have a better statistic to follow based on some data?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: How many people fly?

It would be hard to judge by RCU when most are rubber burners and never get of the ground and others are here just to have something to do To find out how many fly and are not on any forum could get interesting. I would bet that there is two time the number thats on the AMA roster
Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

That would be interesting to know. I started a collection of RC Flying sites using coordinates and have them mapped on Google Earth. Here in the last 6 months or so I have been getting a bunch of help and additions from RC Pilots from around the world. If you download this file, and then turn them all on at one time and just start cruising around the world from about the height of the shuttle you'll see some clusters of RC sites in some countries (Germany for example) that will give you an idea of the interest of our sport around the world. If you figure there are probably that same amount posted in all of the other countries near by, some less, some more, and then add in all of the one's I don't have in the States and Canada, were a World Full of Crazy Pilots

If your interested in the the Google Earth file I have, here is the link - [link=http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=EarthSports&Number=402368&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=]Remote Control (RC) Airplane Clubs & Runways[/link]
Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
cliffclof

Oh yes I'm interested in that data about fields. That's a cool project! Hope you get more interest in that database, because with the new developments like Google Earth that is just fun to play with and see where people fly.

What do you consider fields? Cause I can add a couple to the list, but they are not really club fields and one is only usable in the winter. Do you have a prerequisite for a submission to be added?