Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies didn't match price?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower Hobbies didn't match price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 AM
stashu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies didn't match price?

I have been looking at the Herr Somethin extra for a while now and finally decided to order it. I went to Tower and they wanted 89.99 for it. Then just surfing, I went to Iflyherr.com "the main company". They want 64.99, a savings of 25.00, which is signifiant to me. I called Tower to order it and some other items to total 150.00 "for free shipping" and asked for a price match, Tower say they couldn't do it. I paused and said why, but they just said they couldn't match it, I said thanks and goodbye.
I like Tower and still will order from them in the future, especially with the 25.00 off coupons at selected times, and free shipping over 150.00, excellant return policy, etc. I am just curious as to why they wouldn't match the price? don't they want my business, even at a small loss?--a loss now, BUT a repeat customer later . Normally the factory outlet is more expensive than the resellers, but not in this case. Any comments?

thanks!!

PS--I ordered from iflyherr.com for 64.99. I hope to enjoy this Herr lill somethin plane.
Stash
Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Tower Hobbies didn't match price?

We take pride in our low prices and do constant price comparisons to make sure that we offer the industry's lowest possible prices and best overall value. If you find a lower price on a product prior to purchase somewhere else, please call us--and we'll do our best to match it. Does not apply to close-outs, out-of- stocks or prices due to typographical or other errors. We reserve the right to price match solely at our discretion. Price matching is only available on phone orders.
This is Tower Hobbies price matching policy as stated on their website.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
stashu

Thanks for the reply-------I guess it came under "at our discretion" area of the price matching clause.

thanks!

stash
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Asking tower/Great planes for a price break or price matching would be like walking into Walmart and demanding the same, ain't gonna happen.

We have allowed them to become the all powerful monolith over the entire industry and now will pay the price.

John

Just my opinion
Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Asking tower/Great planes for a price break or price matching would be like walking into Walmart and demanding the same, ain't gonna happen.

We have allowed them to become the all powerful monolith over the entire industry and now will pay the price.

John

Just my opinion
Tower? Monolith over the industry? [sm=lol.gif]

Not untill they start carrying some decent sized props and hardware. They are fine for the average 40--120 size sport flyer. But, they haven't got a clue when it comes to giant scale stuff.

I order from them on most of my smaller stuff, but I go other places for my giant scale supplies.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:33 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

John

Just my opinion

I guess you never asked them for a price mach. I have, several times always got it. The biggest match was for a Hitec Prism 7 channel radio a while back. Hobby horse had them $50 to $60 bucks cheaper. I had bought one from Hobby Horse, but since I needed a part from Tower I ordered the second from them...after they matched the price.

Not asking for a better price only happens to those who buy a Saturn Vehicle.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Adudein
My Feedback: (11)

I've gotten a price match from Tower on a few occasions.I have even had them match a price and then use a $10 AD number to get the item cheaper.

I have also been told no,on a price match at Tower.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many forget that gas giants are not the predominant form of our hobby. That should be evident every time you go to the field and see all the small planes, and only one or very few giants. For the most part Tower serves the masses, not the minorities. As for price matching, Tower has the ability to do much. Even more with products made by companies they control, either physically or financially. Those outside their grasp they can do little with, such as the Herr plane. It's quite possible Herr was selling the plane at less than their wholesale cost as a leader to get people to their site and purchase other items. That stuff happens all the time. If that was the case, Tower may have been asked to sell a product for much less than they would have paid for it.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
stashu

Orginal Poster
FYI
I just checked Tower and they changed the price on the Herr Somethin extra from 89.99 to 64.99 within the last day or so. I guess thats good news, as they are pricing better now :-)