Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Hidden Sales?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower Hobbies Hidden Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies Hidden Sales?

I have shopped Tower Hobbies for years and just noticed something that I am sure has been going on for some time.

History: I have been looking at a Goldberg Edge 540. 60/90 size. In Tower Hobbies, the price had been $339, which I though was high. Goldberg also had an Edge 540 giant scale and it was $322, which was cheaper than the smaller one.

One of the forums mentioned that the airplane I had been wanting had gone on sale at Tower, but by the time I checked it was the same price as before. So I started watching every day. The smaller airplane has dropped $16 dollars over the last few days, while the larger model jumped up $53 dollars in one night.

What intrigues me is Tower will offer a "SALE" on some item and make a big deal over it, and it is like $3. off for a 100 dollar item. And they make sure to let you know it is a limited offer, etc. Yet behind the scenes prices change as much as $80 in one day and it could be $80 dollars lower than regular one day and $80 higher the next, and the only way you would know is to watch that item every day.

Anyway, I have been watching the Edge and have a goal price. If it reaches I will buy, if not, or it goes back up before then, well, I won't order. This is like playing the stock market or something. And I hate the stock market

Has anyone else noticed this happening with stuff they watch?

Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Tower Hobbies Hidden Sales?

yep, happend to me on a GP Ultimate 160. Bought it for one price, then less than 5 days later, goes on sale for $20.00 less. I wrote 'em an email, and wahoo! got a $20.00 credit, in effect giving me the sale price! Sometimes, you just get lucky!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds like your plane of interest may have been on the "daily sale" page. They say that is an inventory reduction sale page where the drop the price every day to boost the sale of an item. Once they have cleared out enough stock on the sale item, the price jumps back up to the normal price and it is no longer on the "daily sale" page.

Just a guess.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys have time to check that out every day???? Whats wrong with you????[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually check Tower prices daily.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 AM
jettstarblue

In some states, you have a 30 day window to get a "refund" if you buy an item and it goes on sale the next day, or two.
I bought one of those "tube and tarp" buldings and it went on sale two weeks later, I was going to return it and buy another at the sale price, but I talked to the return desk before I brought it back and they gave me the 50 dollar difference.

I've done the same with a kerosine heater and a trampoline.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:33 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RoyR, it's $307.44 right now! Act fast!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LR0066&P=DS
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
heli_Rod

Welcome to the world of sales marketing! Tower offers some good deals, but you have to keep looking and act fast!

Rod
Old 04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

And use Ad# 011XN and get $30.00 off!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Or use code 010W7 for $40 off. It isn't on their homepage anymore, but its still valid.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. $267.44 for a plane with a $399.99 catalog price. I'd say that's a pretty decent deal.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good looking bird to boot!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

Price is $287.91 now 4-26-07 11:12 am.
Probably dropped it below $299.99 so you can't use discount
only on plane.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 AM
RoyR

I bit the bullet. With the weekend approaching and not wanting to miss out on the overstock sale, I bought the Edge for $274, added a prop, spinner, engine mount, and other items to bring the total to just over $300, got the $40 discount, paid shipping and it all still came in over $60 less than the price of just the Edge 2 weeks ago.

Even though I am pleased with what I got, I don't think I will watch to see how much more it drops.

Now to see how it flys.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
P-51B

Its $261.87 today, which means it didn't drop much over the weekend. Usually a sign that it is bottoming out and won't be going much lower. Subtract the current $30.00 off deal and it is only $231.87...and if your a super saver member that includes the shipping.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Don't understand why a company would "hide" a sale. Isn't the purpose of a sale to generate interest, hoping people will buy not only that item, which the company is still making a profit on, but other items that are not on sale as well while they're in a spending mood? Kind of self defeating to hide it. Or am I missing something here?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
crownvic

How would you get people to look at your web site every day if you dont have a gimmick?

CV
Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Don't understand why a company would "hide" a sale. Isn't the purpose of a sale to generate interest, hoping people will buy not only that item, which the company is still making a profit on, but other items that are not on sale as well while they're in a spending mood? Kind of self defeating to hide it. Or am I missing something here?
Yeah, I think you are. They link the Daily Sale off of their home page. It's just how they get rid of excess inventory. There's more than one purpose for price reductions. Tower has been doing this for years.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

They hide it in plain view. It is set up so you will come back and check it EVERY day, while your there...you may peruse other items. Not really self defeating.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: P-51B

They hide it in plain view. It is set up so you will come back and check it EVERY day, while your there...you may peruse other items. Not really self defeating.

The only problem with that is, I have been shopping Tower Hobbies for years, and I just learned about this practice in the last month. Think of all the things I would have bought from them had I known.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: RoyR
The only problem with that is, I have been shopping Tower Hobbies for years, and I just learned about this practice in the last month. Think of all the things I would have bought from them had I known.
Are you sure that's a problem? After all, think of the all things you would have bought had you known!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: P-51B

ORIGINAL: RoyR
Are you sure that's a problem? After all, think of the all things you would have bought had you known!

You must be related to my wife.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 AM
grimmy55

bought a simulator and heap stuff from tower got the discount certificate $25 for my next purchase emailed through order siting discount certificate number you think I could get that honoured ,like hell I could, I rang them still no luck they said site the number again ,never did get that $25 I reckon its because I,m so far away they can just say stiff boyo after all what can I do from N.Z and that was the attitude I felt