Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Eyesight

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eyesight

I am 80 years old and still love to fly. The only problem is I am not able to see them very well.
I always paint them red or yellow and they are so big I will need a semi to take them to rhe field if I make them any bigger.
Does anyone know of a magic doctor or glasses that can help me? I don't have cataracts - yet.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:03 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Eyesight

I don't know if you wear glasses or not. When i needed to have reading glasses i told them to give me 20/10 instead of clear glass on top. If I was going to pay I wanted to get something for my money. Dennis
Old 05-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you think an eye-doctor would be a better advisor than a computer forum about vision?

There are soe new contact out now. My son, legally blind without glasses, recently acquired them. Very expensive but he has 20-10 all ranges, and he is 47.

Glasses work.

The key board doesn't provide them.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:14 PM
chazdraves

I just happened across this thread by chance, but I can highly recommend getting in to a habit of eye exercises. Though I guess I'm fairly young, I started loosing my previously perfect vision as of late. I couldn't stand to rely on anything for sight and decided to take action. If you have any interest, send me a message. Otherwise, I'm sure the above tips would do you well.

Just my $.02
- Chaz
Old 05-26-2007, 11:31 PM
anonymouse

As much as I dislike to agree with Hoss, you would be better informed by a vision expert. There are many vision problems that can be fixed by simple lenses or surgery, and unfortunately , some that are not. Check with your Medical Doctor, or the yellow pages or the net to find a quality opthomoligist (sp) in your area. DO NOT go to the local drugstore and buy off the rack glasses, they are not the answer... Good luck
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Don't you think an eye-doctor would be a better advisor than a computer forum about vision?

There are soe new contact out now. My son, legally blind without glasses, recently acquired them. Very expensive but he has 20-10 all ranges, and he is 47.

Glasses work.

The key board doesn't provide them.
He's not asking a keyboard, he is asking people. People who are in the same hobby as he is. People who may have the same problem, and he may be able to gleen a few answers from them. Answers that work.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
jcw111

Dirtybird

I don't know who you are but I fly at the SVF field in north Phoenix and am very near your age. Just had a cataract taken out with a lens replacement. Could not see worth a darn till now. Iagree with the others see a Doctor. You either have cataracts or Macular degeneration---which my wife has both. Red was the worst color for me to see and yellow was the best. Good luck "OlTimer". Get em fixed up
Old 06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
dirtybird

I went to an eye doctor. He said I didn't have cateracts and had 20/20 vision in my left eye. The right eye is not so good. I just was hoping someone might know of a better doctor. My eyes are better at some times than others.
jcw111, I used to be a member of SVF 10 years ago. I am now at EVA on ironwood.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
reincarnate

You guys all missed the important thing. Dirtybird is 80years old and still flying!!! Go get em 'Bird. Good luck with the eyes, and best wishes in your search. I only hope I still remember that I flew airplanes when I'm 80!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Live Wire

dirtybird
I'm not quite as old as you but have you tried a good pair of sun glasses like Zurick or something like that, Remove the glare from sun and its reflections. The sun can play tricks on us older people and we do not realize it at the time we are flying until it is to late[:'(]
Larry K
Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

You guys all missed the important thing. Dirtybird is 80years old and still flying!!! Go get em 'Bird. Good luck with the eyes, and best wishes in your search. I only hope I still remember that I flew airplanes when I'm 80!
Great, that means I have 3 more years before I have to worry. Cataract surgery done 10 years ago. Our club as many in this part of Florida have done, has installed leaning posts at the flight stations. Gives you some sense of security when flying. I and others in our Sr. flying group find them a big help.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

dirtybird
I'm not quite as old as you but have you tried a good pair of sun glasses like Zurick or something like that, Remove the glare from sun and its reflections. The sun can play tricks on us older people and we do not realize it at the time we are flying until it is to late[:'(]
Larry K
My eye guy here in Florida says everyone should be wearing good sun glasses. Zurich's are nice - I have a pair, but I like my Australian Fit Overs better. Never leave home without them. Zurichs are back ups in case I forget.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Bad_Daddy

Good grief, I thought women were vain! Get your bums into an Optician's chair and let them check out your eyes, before your vanity causes you to lose your sight altogether.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Live Wire

I think he posted that he went to a doctor but want to know what we use to help
Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 PM
dirtybird

I have five pair of Zurich sunglasses. Three I bought and two were given to me(By Zurich) when the ones I had became scratched. However the best pair of sunglasses I have found were the amber sunglasses I got from B&B (fitovers). Unfortunately they are no longer available. They only cost me 15$. I found a brand called fitovers in amber but they are not as good.
At our field I just bring out a chair and sit while flying. Its a lot easier on the knees.
I just came back from a visit to Norway. A friend I knew when I lived there just finished an around the world air race(full scale). He is an ex jet fighter jockey and still has a commercial pilots license. But then he is younger than me. He is only 75.

My purpose for this post was to see if someone knew of a doctor that understands our problem. I am not sure my doctor really knows what I want. Hopefully someone knows an eyedoctor that flies RC.