Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Design Own Airplane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Ptarmigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design Own Airplane?

Does anyone here design their own airplane for RC flying, besides basing it on an actual airplane? After I am flying solo, I plan to design my own airplanes, rather then do scale.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:02 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Design Own Airplane?

Originally posted by Ptarmigan
Does anyone here design their own airplane for RC flying, besides basing it on an actual airplane? After I am flying solo, I plan to design my own airplanes, rather then do scale.
Hey Man, you been talking about getting soloed for a long time. I believe you are active at Scobee fld. While I also belong tom the Scobee BCF Club, my main club is way over Northeast at Jetero.
We have a great grass runway with good facilities, maybe not as nice as the public-funded but we OWN ours. In addition, training doesn't have to be under the gun of every tom,dick and harry.

Anyway, you and I need a couple afternoons together and you will be designing your own machines or whatever and flying them all by yourself.

Problem is I soon migrate up north, so if you are seriously interested in getting SOLO, You can be a guest for 3 days at Jetero. That should be plenty, but it has to happen within the next month or so. AMA is a MUST!
I have trainer stuff for Airtronics, JR, and the Futaba/Hitec. Name your posion.

Designing models is a no brainer. Make some measurements, eyeball some basic parameters and here is a 4 day 65" w/s Fun-Flier, now near 3 years old.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	75880_87.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	45314  
Old 05-05-2003, 05:58 AM
Ptarmigan

Default Re: Re: Design Own Airplane?

Originally posted by Hossfly
Hey Man, you been talking about getting soloed for a long time. I believe you are active at Scobee fld. While I also belong tom the Scobee BCF Club, my main club is way over Northeast at Jetero.
We have a great grass runway with good facilities, maybe not as nice as the public-funded but we OWN ours. In addition, training doesn't have to be under the gun of every tom,dick and harry.

Anyway, you and I need a couple afternoons together and you will be designing your own machines or whatever and flying them all by yourself.

Problem is I soon migrate up north, so if you are seriously interested in getting SOLO, You can be a guest for 3 days at Jetero. That should be plenty, but it has to happen within the next month or so. AMA is a MUST!
I have trainer stuff for Airtronics, JR, and the Futaba/Hitec. Name your posion.

Designing models is a no brainer. Make some measurements, eyeball some basic parameters and here is a 4 day 65" w/s Fun-Flier, now near 3 years old.
Hey there. Yes I am actually close to getting solo, by another instructor at Scobee Field. Do you go there a lot?
Old 05-05-2003, 04:21 PM
cabanestrut2002

Default own designs

i do it all the time, most fly well, some dont
its very good fun though
heres my o/d 3d model, os 20fp. very successful

Name:	75963_20111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	45315  
Old 05-05-2003, 04:23 PM
cabanestrut2002

o/d speed model, yet to fly.
os45fsr and pipe

Name:	75966_20111.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	45316  
Old 05-05-2003, 04:26 PM
cabanestrut2002

1/2 a model, cox 0.049

Name:	75971_20111.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	45317  
Old 05-05-2003, 04:27 PM
cabanestrut2002

hand launch glider, very successful

Name:	75969_20111.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	45318  
Old 05-05-2003, 04:59 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default Head on over....

to the 1/2 A forum, we've got a contest finishing up there...

Here's my design.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...39&forumid=161]
Old 05-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Dewey12

Default Aircraft Design

Congrats for choosing to be different. The trend towards square cheese boxes and BARF's has made me sick to say the least. Try to put some aerodynamic shapes into your design and make the other guys jealous. Good luck and have fun with your next project. Duane
Old 05-06-2003, 01:02 AM
pinball-RCU

Spad builders (www.spadtothebone.com) do a lot of their own design, mostly starting with an existing design and modifying it. The nice thing is the planes build so fast and cheap that you can afford to try a lot of stuff and make a lot of mistakes!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Tattoo

Does anyone here design their own airplane for RC flying
I do it all the time...several hundred times (I lost count a long time ago)...and the best ones are on the web site that Pinball mentioned. Thanks Pinball!!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:29 AM
AQ500

Designing your own plane is half the fun. Every other palne I build is of my own design. The one in my Avatar was my latest. It had a gravity related incident and version two is just getting off the drawing board.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:16 PM
redrocker

Yeah- been doing my own designs for a few decades. Quite rewarding! Some of my early efforts were questionable, but I have settled in to building 91 4 stroke size aerobatic planes. I always stick with a good wing rib pattern that I know works, but beyond that I just follow some basic parameters and hang a big engine on it and off you go. I build very light, never add weight to balance- just move the battery pack around. This is a really INEXPENSIVE way to enjoy the hobby. The radios and engines and hardware I just move from plane to plane, so the biggest investment I have in any single plane is the monocote.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:39 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

It's good to see some folks not falling into the BARF (Basically Almost Ready to Fly) and NARF (Not Almost Ready to Fly) hole... It's extremely rewarding to create your own aircraft from sticks and pieces, and send it into the heavens... Nothing else quite like it...

What's really funny, is to read some of the ARF forum comments. Most folks complain and complain about this and that, and they wonder why some Asian making .11 cents an hour 14 hours a day can't make every airplane just the way he/she would want it. I wonder what they really expected from a box in a box on a boat from far away...

Sorry, didn't mean to make it a BARF bashing message...
phil in austin
Old 05-08-2003, 12:04 PM
redrocker

Some of my scratch builds have flown quite good, and I have had other club members ask if I would build them a copy of what I was flying. I have thought about that question, but I always decline, for a couple reasons: no two of my scratch builds have ever looked alike, and when I add up the number of hours I put into one of my projects, there is no way I am going to build one for someone else.

Guys have offered to pay me well for a plane, but that looks like a good way to ruin the hobby.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:42 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

This my design , MFD-1
floes great with the only bad habit of tip stall. does good roles, long but good, almost flat spin, and what not, only flown 4 times.

Name:	76987_12852.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	45319