Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Teymour
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that is getting a bit annoyed at the lack of response from East RC...I would have thought that Don would not have partnered up with such a flaky bunch. They had a great thing , but I think a few of those that would have purchased a Flying Machine are a little tired of the anticipation of availablity and to be let down yet again...I would suggest that East RC post some sort of response to these forums , it seems that they just really don't care... well how much will they care when a customer needs some sort of service...kinda makes ya think...This is not intended to be a flame , just a prod for info.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Ok, I have contacted East R/C, and to be honest, they were very understading in the frustration regarding the inability to get the flying machine off the ground, and I truly believe they are frustrated as well. After a series of e-mails, it sounds like something may happen soon (I have been asked not to say too much, and I will abide by that). Keep your ears peeled as East R/C said they would contact me as soon as there is something to be reported. But I did want to say that the issue is certainly not dead, and hope remains! I will let you know (if Don doesn't first) when I hear something. But just one note, I have a new respect for East R/C after discussing it with them, and seeing the prompt action they seemed to be taking regarding the availability of this aircraft (yes, that was intented to be an ambiguous comment).

Dave
Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Teymour

ROFLMAO!!!!!! seems like the same type of answers we have been receiving for years now... " hang on it's comming..and we will respect you in the morning".
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ovationdave

Ok, I have contacted East R/C..............I have a new respect for East R/C after discussing it with them, and seeing the prompt action they seemed to be taking regarding the availability of this aircraft (yes, that was intented to be an ambiguous comment).
Now that you have been in contact with East RC, please answer a question for me.

Using the following scale, how would you rate your chances of actually receiving a Flying Machine ARF within the next 6 months?

10 = Absolutely no doubt they will be available.
0 = Absolutely no doubt they won't be available.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM
ovationdave

Ok, this is from the mouth of East R/C. I requested that if the ARF version of the flying machine was not going to be available anytime soon (due to $$ and manufacturing issues), he should at least allow the guys at laser works to cut short kits for those of us willing to build it. He is still working on the ARF version, and trying to get it up and running. In the meantime, this is the reply:

OK...we got this all worked out. Don is going to handle wood kits from
LaserWorks while we're fleshing out the last of the FM ARF issues and
manufacturing. He's going to update his website so folks can get the kits
with plans and notes from him (LaserWorks doesn't provide plans and such
with much of their stuff due to copyright issues). In the meanwhile, folks
can get the kits from Don by emailing him at:

[email protected]

Would you help get the word out? Working 14+ hrs/day in the motorcycle
company and with the hobby shop, I'm not on forums much these days :-)

Hope this helps folks out!

Dave

The laserworks site is here: http://lazer-works.com/misc.html

My assumption is that the short kit @ laser-works went for around $55, I am hoping the short kit though Don is approximately the same price, but I wouldn't be surprized if it went up by now.

I will be ordering a couple short kits soon before anything changes!!!!

~Dave
Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the update!

I guess short kits of a Flying Machine are better than nothing at all. I've already got one of the old Progressive Miniature kits, but I was really hoping to get a Flying Machine ARF. Reading between the lines of the reply you got from East RC, it doesn't sound very likely that the ARFs will ever be available.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post a link or info for ordering the short kit? I don't see anything at LazerWorks or on Don's site. Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM
ovationdave

You know as much as I do. Hopefully Don will chime in when the kits/plans are available though him (per the reply I posted above from East R/C). I can only assume we need to give Don a few days to update his website and get the information on there so we can order kits.

Dave
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Muddiman

Hey Guys,

Dave Hockaday and I just discussed this late last week and I have not had the time to get the orders placed for the short kits and update my web page with the info. The short kit will include cut parts only such as fuselage sides, ribs, etc. and also include full size plans and instructions. I expect the price to be around $58.00 plus shipping (approximately $5.00 to $6.00 for shipping). Please let me know if the pricing is within reason. I have to order six kits at a time and really don't want to be stuck with kits I cannot sell. The Flying Machine ARF is still in the works and we are now going with another builder as the last one did not meet our specifications. The last proto-type ARF had a wing failure and we found the consistency of the kits varied which is not a good thing. I am still flying the first proto-type with lots of mods and waiting for the day I can just pull one out of the box put it together in a few hours. It will happen!

Best Regards,
Don
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 PM
ovationdave

Thanks for the update Don. $58 sounds very reasonable for the short kit and the plans. No complaints here. I will be ordering 2, maybe 3 when they become available. I am glad to get moving off dead-center on anything related to this plane. Thanks for working with everyone to get something worked out!

Dave
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Don, You can count me in for two but I need you to ship one to Tom in Tampa.
Thanks buddy
Old 10-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Muddiman

Hi Guys,

It will take a little over a week before I have some short kits in hand, I'll let you know when I have them in stock.

Later,
Don
www.eagle-i.us/fm
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Teymour

WooHoo..just in time for a winter project. I will be looking forward to Don's announcement. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 PM
DeferredDefect

Can't wait!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Muddiman

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting this started I had to order shipping boxes. The Flying Machine short kits can now be purchased via my web page http://eagle-i.us/fm/

The pull down menu will allow you to order the short kit without the plans.

Best Regards,

Don
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Got one ordered for a winter project!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
ovationdave

I will be on the wagon soon for 2 of those Don, but the wife needed to go shopping, I may have a slight delay.....just keep em' in stock, I'll be ordering in a week or so.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Teymour

A little bit of a change in topic... does anyone know anything about the Mini Flying Machine that was being produced by a company in England? I have read a bit about it on other forums, but haven't seen anything here about it. And we have Don here and I was hoping he could shed some insite on it. It seems it would make a neat little park flyer.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting this started I had to order shipping boxes. The Flying Machine short kits can now be purchased via my web page http://eagle-i.us/fm/

Best Regards,

Don
My short kit from Don arrived yesterday and I have started the initial planning for a build. First of all, Don's short kit is of excellent quality. It is packaged well and he is not getting rich from his efforts. So if the Flying Machine interests you, buy one while they are available.

One of my first decisions is the motor. I have the following as choices: 1)NIB OS 55 AX, 2) Good Used OS 46 FX and 3) NIB YS45 side exhaust two-stroke. My simplest build would use either the 55 or 46 with their standard muffler. I have a 7.5cc tuned pipe and could purchase the MACS header to use either of the OS engines or the YS 45 two-stroke. I know the YS 45 would be a screamer, but I have two of these NIB that I bought for a twin project that did not materialize. I really would like to save these little jewels for just the right project. Of course, this could be one of those "just right" projects.

I plan to use two Hitec HS 82MG servos for the ailerons instead of the single center wing mounted servo in the plans. Don had earlier mentioned that standart servos were good for this plane, so I can't imagine that two smaller 47 oz metal gear servos would not be OK instead of one larger center wing mounted standard servo working through the bell crank system to both ailerons.

I would love to know of a ready-to-buy aluminum landing gear that would be appropriate for this kit. I have several aluminum landing gears but none are proper either from a height or width(at the fuse) perspective.

If Don Muddiman wants to share more of his thoughts, that would be wonderful.

If anyone else is planning a build, share your ideas.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Hi Guys,

Best Regards,

Don
My short kit from Don arrived yesterday and I have started the initial planning for a build. First of all, Don's short kit is of excellent quality. It is packaged well and he is not getting rich from his efforts. So if the Flying Machine interests you, buy one while they are available.

One of my first decisions is the motor. I have the following as choices: 1)NIB OS 55 AX, 2) Good Used OS 46 FX and 3) NIB YS45 side exhaust two-stroke. My simplest build would use either the 55 or 46 with their standard muffler. I have a 7.5cc tuned pipe and could purchase the MACS header to use either of the OS engines or the YS 45 two-stroke. I know the YS 45 would be a screamer, but I have two of these NIB that I bought for a twin project that did not materialize. I really would like to save these little jewels for just the right project. Of course, this could be one of those ''just right'' projects.

I plan to use two Hitec HS 82MG servos for the ailerons instead of the single center wing mounted servo in the plans. Don had earlier mentioned that standart servos were good for this plane, so I can't imagine that two smaller 47 oz metal gear servos would not be OK instead of one larger center wing mounted standard servo working through the bell crank system to both ailerons.

I would love to know of a ready-to-buy aluminum landing gear that would be appropriate for this kit. I have several aluminum landing gears but none are proper either from a height or width(at the fuse) perspective.

If Don Muddiman wants to share more of his thoughts, that would be wonderful.

If anyone else is planning a build, share your ideas.

My Flying machine was scratch built from plans, but I used the landing gear from a 40 sized Hangar 9 Ultra stick. I think it came out nice....Just an FYI.

The part number for the aluminum gear on the Hangar 9 Ultra stick should be an easy find, and my LHS has them and the 11 oz tank from same plane I used in stock lucky for me

This is with an O/S .46 and Macs pipe.....Love this plane!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Nitro-Tom

I needed to post some newer pictures of that landing gear

I LOVE this plane...I had the privledge of speaking to Don about my order when I got the plans and he was great. I will be looking into another soon.....ARF or short kit even better.

The picture of the right side of the flying machine, you can see I "Fluted" the Hangar 9 gear to lighten it and make it look nice, I also added the wheel pants.....

On the picture of the left side of the plane you can see I made a hatch to put the 6V 2000MaH battery all the way back[X(] and thus had to add zero weight....

Graphics by Dave at ExclusiveDecals.com.....he did a GREAT job making it look like Don's Original....in Red for me......

We have about 4 guys at our field with this plane, but I like mine the best....the only thing I will do different on the next one is 2 servo's in the wing and get rid of the bell crank....but hey, it works!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 PM
airbusdrvr

Where is Exclusive Decals located? I notice their website conveniently does not list an address or telephone.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Where is Exclusive Decals located? I notice their website conveniently does not list an address or telephone.
Dave has a small office in WPB, FL...... He actually works for the same "Parent" company I do.....He is First Rate.

He does work for Nascar.....lot's of commercial Vehicle wraps, etc....BUT, He is also a Flyer (Big Time)

He even used to do custom water slide decals to die for

I will get more contact info from him if you need it....I just left him a voice mail on his cell......

Tom
Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM
ovationdave

I think the YS 45 would be a wicked combo in this plane. The AX 55 would be good too though. I had a Rossi .40 in my first FM, and it was a great combo, I had unlimited vertical, and it was a screamer. I also had a YS45SE (on pipe) that I had in a Direct Connection F-20 Tigershark that was crazy fast. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these motors in your FM. The only issue I had with the Rossi is that it never really seemed to want to run at anything between idle and full throttle, so I got used to full throttle :-) The FM will not dissapoint with any decent .46 though, thats for sure. I may even go with a TT Pro .46 with a pipe in mine when I get to it. The OS .55 is almost overkill, but I know some will say you can never have too much motor.

Dave
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM
roly1129

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is mine on a low pass. Mine was scratch built. I think is time for another one since my son wont let me fly it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.