Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:34 PM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

and flew George's turd yesterday (Monday).....
I bet that made George's eyes water.

-David C.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:19 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to come down and witness the spectacle. I have visions of a Kamikazi attack off Okinawa in WWII. My map of the area is pretty good. What is the name of a large street near the entrance of the flying field?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
David Cutler

Hi Tim,

Only a few hundred yards after Interstate 101 (West ) joins the 405 to Sacramento, (North) take the ramp off to Burbank Boulevard.

Turn left (West) onto Burbank, and after another couple of hundred yards, turn right (North) onto Woodley Avenue. The Apollo runway is on the left, and you can get in there through the entrance on your left about 500 yards along Woodley.

-David C.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:08 PM
J_R

First, this is not a joke and it is a serious inquiry.

I got a call today from a club member of mine that works for Hobby People. He has a customer that is blind and wants to fly RC. The gentleman told him there was someone already doing this at the Basin. Do any of you know anything about this?

JR
Old 10-07-2003, 04:20 PM
David Cutler

He has a customer that is blind and wants to fly RC. The gentleman told him there was someone already doing this at the Basin. Do any of you know anything about this?

I personally don't know of anybody doing this already, but I will certainly ask around.

Can anybody reading this help at all?

Thanks

-David C.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:24 PM
J_R

I know it's not a hoax on this end. I appreciate the help David.

JR
Old 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM
David Cutler

If nobody comes back in this thread, I will be at the flying field tomorrow, so I will be sure to ask around.

I did hear, fairly recently, somebody mentioning a blind flier, but I have no details just yet.

I'll try to keep you informed.

David C.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:25 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have heard of blind flying before. But I have not witnessed it since I have been going. I will ask around as well.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:40 PM
TimC

Is the field the three radiating runways in this pic?
Old 10-07-2003, 05:51 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The field perimeter and the runway are marked
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63847.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	66163  
Old 10-07-2003, 05:56 PM
TimC

So I'd be flying over water? [X(] [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 10-07-2003, 06:39 PM
David Cutler

The runway complex is at the top of your pic, near the middle.

And, no, it's not water! (Or usually isn't, as it's a flood plain!).

-David C.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Spaceclam

that is not water, that is the dreaded wheat field of doom
Old 10-07-2003, 10:32 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I've seen several people at the field that appeared to be blind, at least by the way they were flying! (I hope that doesn't offend any blind people that may be reading this.)

Isn't that an old picture of the field before they moved the Ukie circles? I think it was taken back in the days before they invented reds and yellows in photographs.

Nice to hear there are more Flying Turds at the field. Mine was tail heavy untill I added nose wieght as well.

Matt, Sorry to hear about Metropolis, I bet that DSS system is a major priority for you now.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:38 PM
tkigar
My Feedback: (5)

That has to be an old picture.......I can tell by looking at the freeway.....see look again.....theres no grid lock LOL
Old 10-08-2003, 12:24 AM
eddy

(in
Hey Torrey and H.A.C absolutely agree taking out a prop plane that had not been flown in a while was a bad idea. after being challenged with fuel leaks I found all my ground support to have dead batteries thanx for the help. And even if it had been flown top speed is only about 125 mph on a good day. Theres nothing like 200 mph formation passes coupled with side by side landings.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:38 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

ok hear is the straight dope on the blind pilot....
first of all, it was a long time ago.....before my time 1991.....I have only heard rumors of him. From what I have been told by the old-timers.... he did not take off or land himself....someone would taxi out to the flight line with/for him and take the plane off...then he would be able to fly it around by listening to the tone of the engine....when it was time to land his assistant would land it.....

I have never seen this guy and what I have told you is all hearsay...but I have heard this story from more than one old-timer.........
Old 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
J_R

outssider

Thanks, I appreciate the input and will pass it along. If anyone else hears anything more current post it, or pm me.

Thanks Guys

JR
Old 10-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Spaceclam

i have heard the same from a couple guys up at the simi field. i am a member there.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:14 AM
Syclone guy

Geez Richard,

I guess I should have sent that post directly to Eddy. Humm my fault. I was only comparing the day before the jet formation with Eddy, myself, and a few others flying our war-birds. Both Eddy and I had some small teething troubles with our war-birds. Eddy had told me that I would be bored to death if I showed up the day after with my 3D plane, so he suggested that I bring a jet. I did bring a jet, and we had a great day. This is why I made the statement "From a bad day with war-birds to a great day with jet formation at its best. It is days like this that make 3D flying seem like a waste of time"

I'm sorry if this caused trouble with you or any other readers. It seems like you are just waiting at the side lines to send out negative bandwidth any chance possible. I made no suggestions that other pilots should step aside for the jet guys nor did I hint that they should pull the trigger on a jet purchase.

In case you haven't noticed I do actively fly war birds, 3D, and other model aircraft. It is not always just the jet thing. I am sorry that I used the forum to applaud a couple of flying days with Eddy and a few others at the basin.

I will look forward to discussing this with you in person, and talking about other Internet posts that you have made.

Torrey
Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Syclone guy

I got a call today from a club member of mine that works for Hobby People. He has a customer that is blind and wants to fly RC. The gentleman told him there was someone already doing this at the Basin. Do any of you know anything about this?
Hello JR, and other readers,

I do know about a fellow named Ralph Counsil. I have flown with him at the basin and a few other locations. Mainly at night. I have seen him take off and land. He usually has another pilot make those transitions and then taking over during normal flight. Ralph is 49 years old, and has been an aviation nut since a child. He has no eyes, and has been blind since birth. He is a good R/C pilot, and I have watched him save other pilots aircraft while they have lost sight of them. He has an amazing hearing ability. You have to check it out to believe it.

Cheers,

Torrey
Old 10-10-2003, 05:07 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Torrey,
Thanks for clarifying, my bad. I have seen you fly the Twin Mustang but never 3D so that's why I took your post the way I did. Happy to discuss any of my "negative" posts with you in person.

Richard
Old 10-10-2003, 08:40 AM
J_R

Hi Torrey

So.. Ralph is still an acitve pilot? Do you have any way to get a hold of him? I would like to see if we can put these two in touch.

JR
Old 10-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Syclone guy

So.. Ralph is still an active pilot?
Humm. I haven't seen Ralph in a long time. Ever since the park rangers started clamping down on operations after sunset, Ralph and the night flying group moved to the Hansen Dam area. I still have a few leads, and I will give them a try this weekend.

I was involved in the construction of my Cruise Air at Dan Repasky's home back in the early 80s. He was the only one that had those plans of a 1930's free flight design converted to R/C. Dan was working on a special Cruise Air for a guy named Ralph Counsil. I was there during the construction and that maiden flight with Ralph and the gang. Dan has long since past away and those plans were donated to another fellow named Walley, but he still leaves behind a bunch of great memories. I still fly my Cruise Air to this day, generally at night.

Torrey
Old 10-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Syclone guy

Hey,

I understand that ticketmaster is selling box seats for weekend brawls at the basin. Has anyone heard about this?
It sounds like I can give up WWF on cable for a day of watching war-bird flying at the basin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.