Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

Art,
I disagree. Maybe I don't know what it was like but it is a great place to fly.

A frequent flyer moved away and when he came back to visit he told us of his new flying site with nobody around and he could fly as much as he wanted. He also said it was boring because he missed all the action.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hey BB The one really socially redemining point about the 'Basin' is they still maintain those wonderfull Ukie circles behind and along side the pits instead of a quarter mile away in the middle of Woodley like they were at the old site.

Seriously no body is putting down the Basin but we were just comparing some of the attributes of different kinds of sites. Here in the wilds of northern Arizona we have a wonderfull site two runways up to 700x100 unlimited overruns, unlimited space (don,t really have to land on the runways) no noise problems and a permanent 608 foot pylon course that can be used at any time however as you pointed out not a lot of activity beside myself and a few others and yes the social factor is indeed very much a part of the sport.

I have been invited to attend several nite flys at the "Porti Potti" field in Sylmar and also find this a very nice field in that area of an entirely different character. Not necessarily better just different and those differences make the world go around.

By the way how did the pylon races go last weekend? I am amazed at each race the club is able shut the field down for a day and a half! There is a Racing God after all.

John
Old 06-21-2003, 01:06 AM
My Feedback: (18)

I think some of you old timers would know the guys in my club, the giant scale squadron. They tell me stories about how it was back then. To me the basin is a great place. The time of day and what day you go can be a factor and also what you plan to fly. Some days it is just so awesome to drive a mile from my house and see someone like Kris do things with his extra I have never even seen at an air show. I like flying alone too. I have a field up the street from my house that I can fly electric at. It's nice just not much company until the gangbangers come out and ask how much my crazy max costs! 6 of 1 half dozen to another.

Joe
Old 06-21-2003, 01:09 AM

porta-potty isn't a very good field to fly planes in. Either side of the runway is lined with rocks (ouch) and there are also trees on one end, with a dam at the other end. better for helis
Old 06-21-2003, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
......................By the way how did the pylon races go last weekend? I am amazed at each race the club is able shut the field down for a day and a half! There is a Racing God after all.
John
John,
Try 2-1/2 days for the last pylon race. Practice Fri. afternoon and race Sat.&Sun. -two, one day events. If there is a racing god in Socal his name is Barry Leavengood. He does as much or more than anyone to promote racing around here.

The races went well, good weather, three classes and five rounds each day.

Next up is Air cruiser, trainer, T-6 and slow quickee in July, lots of fun and open to anyone who can fly and turn left. Spaceclam, Joe Kelli and David Cutler should give it a go.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by BasinBum
rounds each day.

Next up is Air cruiser, trainer, T-6 and slow quickee in July, lots of fun and open to anyone who can fly and turn left. Spaceclam, Joe Kelli and David Cutler should give it a go.
I've been considering this for some time.

Which model d'you reckon I could use?

-David C.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:26 AM

Cool more RCU's involved. My Team mate was there flying 424 and 428, Think he ended up middle of the pack. I am now racing out of a wheelchair and so far the monthly Speedworld races and the Winterfest is my only option but working on a way to get around those long walks (rolls) elsewhere.

last couple of years I took great delight in coming down there to race and during lunch throw in a couple of Ukie flights at the circle behind the pits. It just does not get much better than that.

John
Old 06-21-2003, 04:44 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Oh ya, do remember the long walk from the Ukie circles, couldn't do that now with the shape I am in but still good memories. Use to fly there with Paul Good of Pico model and hobby in Culver City, and Jack Stafford who belonged to the same club I did, the smog cutters of Culver City.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:58 AM

David,
If your serious, any .40 sized trainer will do. The rules are available at http://www.sgvrcl.org/

Unless you want to build a T-6 and race against me!

I'm surprised there are not a lot more people in the trainer class who just want to race against their buddies, it's a hoot.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:09 AM

David,
If your serious, any .40 sized trainer will do. The rules are available at http://www.sgvrcl.org/

I'm surprised there are not a lot more people in the trainer class who just want to race against their buddies, it's a hoot.
Wow! Second in the T6 class eh?

We must have a chat about what it takes.

See you

Dsvif C.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by David Cutler
Wow! Second in the T6 class eh?

We must have a chat about what it takes.

See you

Dsvif C.

.. or David C. as I'm better known . .

-dc
Old 06-21-2003, 01:15 PM

That sure sounds like a fun. Can I put a G62 in my laser with a 19/12 and fly in the trainer race? CHOP CHOP! Mmmm trainers! I don't know anything about it. I bet it smells like glow fuel. Maybe you should get into it Dsvif C. ! lol.

Joe
Old 06-21-2003, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

LOL

BV
Old 06-21-2003, 06:33 PM

I think a lot of people went to gathering of the giants this weekend?

Joe
Old 06-21-2003, 09:18 PM

Mr Bill and team boss man I thought you were coming to the Speedworld race this morning we missed you.

John
Honorary team Coldie wannabe
Old 06-22-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB, well I thought I was too. Unfortunately I had to work today (sun) I sat left seat in the H-34,,, ya I know it was a hard thing not coming out to Race But sitting left seat in a Round engine Helicopter,,, was waaaaaaay cool

BV
Old 06-23-2003, 05:53 AM

This is the first time I've looked at The Clubhouse forum, and look what I found. Hello to all that know me. I'm sure I know more people here than I can figure out thru their user name. Maybe some could post pictures of themselves or at least mention what their currently flying...Not you Richard...I know what you look like.
The Basin is The Basin. It's all been said. The crowds, the crazy warbird guys, jets and trainers, guys shooting you down, all the old guys......It's kinda like a car crash. You don't want to look but you have to. I used to hate it because of the crowds and would fly at Robins. Then I'd miss it and go back to hang out with my flying buddies at the Basin. Now I pretty much fly the Basin only on Sunday mornings and hit Robins during the week with my electrics....Oh and of course Whittier Narrows for the T6 races...watch out Richard
Old 06-23-2003, 06:43 AM

Next T-6, Trainer, Cruiser and Slow Quicky is at the Basin July 26. I did a maiden for a guy with a T-6 today and he said he might try to race with it. It inspired me to order another kit, anyone wanna buy my yellow and green one?

Don't worry about me Dave, we both need to gang up on Barry.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:19 PM

Hi Dave! RD, can I put a YS 63 on one of those little T-6s? I flew a trainer yesterday here at the hamburg flyers field. Very fun until my friend schmushed is but with very minimal damage. Should be back in the air today or tomorrow. BTW happy birthday to me today!Yea!
Peas, ya'll!

JOe
Old 06-24-2003, 12:25 AM

It inspired me to order another kit, anyone wanna buy my yellow and green one?
Hi Richard,

Which kit, engine etc would you recommend? I am getting that expensive itch!

-David C.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:45 AM

An OS 91 pumped four stroke. For added realism, take the muffler off. It is not near as loud as i thought it would be.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:24 AM

David,
It's not that expensive an itch with this one. House of Balsa T-6 from Tower is $34.95 and an OS 25LA (one of three allowed for racing) for $54.95. A lot harder to build then the Sig SE (the instructions are just steps, no explanations) but with that experience it will be a piece of cake. Another $30. in covering wheels and hardware.

You've seen my Red one fly, they are a pisser, and great to race.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:15 PM

About T 6 Racing,

Doesn't Hobby People have an ARF .25 Size T 6 ?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:47 PM

LM, Yes they do. It's made by Global and it's the same as the HOB kit and legal for racing. Just make sure to glue the wing together really well. I have one and it fly's fine but I think my HOB is faster. It might just have a weaker engine though.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:06 PM

Richard .

. .. aaaaaannnd . . . can the Magnum 25 be used in racing? I already have one, and it doesn't mention it in the list.

Thanks!

-David C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.