Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:52 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

hi alan
Old 06-10-2004, 10:33 PM
deepgreensmoke

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Some men you just can't reach...
So, you get what we had here just today,
which is the way he wants it!
Well, he gets it!
N' I don't like it any more than you men.."
Old 06-10-2004, 11:27 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

deep green,
Welcome to the forum! That's a pretty cryptic message for you very first post. If I had to bet I'd guess that it is in refferance to a certain someone at the field today that flew a large plane toward the pits on the verge of loosing control. They then were in total denial and claimed that it was part of a planned routine and that everyone just couldn't handle the "aggresive" style of flying.

Am I close?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:07 AM
deepgreensmoke

Hello there Basin Bum. You are right on the money. Well, almost. Yep, I saw that big yellow thing that was churning out a heated exhaust and mistook it for the sun. but then i realized it was not the morning and that the sun was behind all of us! And I thought that the airplane was big until it returned into the pits and got a taste of the ego defending the planned mission number 16a. What's a man to do when six people come gripin' at you to stay east of the runway with all these fancy first time off the simulator advanced routine manuevers?

Alll right - Beee niiiiiiice - Sh*t Happens - And when in doubt, take cover!

And what is this I hear about a north end and that south end down there by the toilets. Next thing ya know, there's gonna be an east side and a west side too. Maybe we can put up a basin monument marking the four corners?

Ya like my alias? I need a good avatar like a pilot smoking a joint.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:15 AM
BasinBum

Deep green,
For your avitar may I suggest you take a Polaroid of yourself in the mirror, that would explain your writing style at least.

So we were at the Basin together today, do I know you?
Old 06-11-2004, 06:56 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Weird? I hope everyone is ok.

People, we have a special fun fly this sunday in memory of a brother past. Bring a IMAA legal plane and fly or just join us for a great day of flying. This is put on by the club I belong to, the Giant Scale Squadron of San Fernando Valley. Here is the flyer.,

Joe !~)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14878.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	142048  
Old 06-11-2004, 12:13 PM
BasinBum

Joe nobody was hurt but I did notify German Peter to find an empty green container when he took off, just in case. Afterward he went on and on and on about how he ment to fly erratically towards the pits and the BS factor just grew and grew. Some people seem to be getting increasingly irritated by the behavior but aside from the occasional dangerous flying (which is really NOT a common occurance for him) I think he is a hoot. He always is fun to see at the field and just another great personality at the Basin. Just keep him away from me while I am flying, thank you.

Joe, as you have pointed out to me several times, if we didn't have him and some of the other characters at the field someone else would surely come along and fill the void.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:33 PM
rare_bear

ha... i was just about ready to go and hide behind a tree. hope i didn't piss off DJ by commenting about safety. hehehehehehehehe. oh well.

on a side note - 2 actually, i'm going to resurrect my trainer. i am suffering flying withdrawl! i need to fix 2 broken elevator hinges and put an old engine back into it. hopefully i can fly on sunday on the dawn patrol.

and who's going up to the reno air races this year?
Old 06-11-2004, 07:12 PM
GoeKeli

Paul, that sounds like a good idea! I love trainers and they can be really fun. I am too going through withdrawls as I am not able to fly anything like normal because of work.
Richard, no doubt in my mind that the basin is a social ecosystem and it's health depends on diversity in all respects. If we loose a member one will replace it. From trainers to turbines, everyone must be included.
Not sure what knuckle head was buzzing the pitts but I can guess. I honestly fear for all of our saftey sometimes. Glad to hear all is well. !~)
I'll be out tomorrow and or sunday.

Miss ya'll

Joe
Old 06-11-2004, 10:19 PM
rare_bear

hi joe,

tomorrow looks like a go. looks like you'll be up on sunday with the big guns. i am thinking of getting a 2'cd 60 size kit and build it along with the studacher so that i have a spare plane. although i'd love to get a 28% size gasser, i just am a fraid to put that much money in the sky just yet with my skill level where it is.

Cya on sunday probably. you too richard.

and richard, i'll probably take your advice and let you go over my plane before the maiden... mid-late july most likely. it's tough with home remodeling work to do and a nagging wife [:@] [:@] too much chit to do.

paul
[:
Old 06-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Spaceclam

looks like i will be missin you guys on sunday there. i will try and make it there on monday though and see if i can catch George J.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:48 PM
rare_bear

hey richard,

thanks for playing the role of fed-x.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be at the basin tomorrow shooting pics and video. Look for the big dude with the camera and the cane.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:19 PM
GoeKeli

I had a great time at the fun fly today. That was awesome that Jason brought the alley cat too! I took a bunch of pictures, check them out and feel free to down load them!

http://homepage.mac.com/joekelley/PhotoAlbum59.html
http://homepage.mac.com/joekelley/PhotoAlbum60.html

It was great to see everyone and thank Paul for spotting for me!~)

Joe
Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 PM
rare_bear

hey Goe, i never heard of "the box" before. everywhere i turn in this hobby, there's something new to learn. love it. glad your engine turned over finally.

i'll be changing my handle pretty soon to....

rare_bear
Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Spaceclam

umm... why did you take a picture of the hot-dogs? and what is that funky stuff floating around in it?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:25 PM
rare_bear

that funky stuff would be a mixture of nitro smoke, klotz racing oil, and crankcase blow by.

were those chili-dogs good or what?
Old 06-14-2004, 04:35 PM
chuckgaudette

joe

Great pictures, as always. You do seem to always capture the spirit of the events. There sure were a lot of beautiful airplanes there, especially the ones the Camarillo guys brought. Too bad Paul lost that giant Wild Cat. And after only 3 flights. Jason's Alley Cat was a real hit. Glad he brought it.

chuck
Old 06-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Spaceclam

and three jets lost? man i am getting so ticked. i can not get my stupid yak to work!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:21 PM
taildraggerdave

When did the jets go in?? I was there until around 1:30 or so and had not heard of any. That's too bad.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Spaceclam

i was at the basin today and i forgot who said it but i heard about a couple of jets going in. dunno.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
KFalcon

Does anyone know what jets were lost and why?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:26 PM
rare_bear

i saw one jet go in yesterday shortly after you left dave. leroy was on the scene and i heard they also got a closeup viudeo of it. from my vantage point, it was a high speed inverted pass and he (i don't know the pilots name) took to too close to the run way. don't know if he accidently pulled instead of pushed in the case of inverted flight or if it just got away from him but it did a skip off the pavement and came to a real quick stop.

i don't know about the other jets going in and if there were any. i left around 3:00Ï
Old 06-14-2004, 07:02 PM
BasinBum

Ever play the game Telephone where you whisper something around the circle and see how screwed up it gets by the end? Well go back and read the posts you numbskulls! One jet crashes after only three flights NOT three jets...sheeesh.

It was Greg's jet that Brian M. painted with the sharkface on the front and it happened as Paul ("Coyote_something" who can't decide on a name) described.

The only other mishap I saw was right after the event when some kid landed his Hanger 9 Mustang inverted on the runway. He just slide it in to a stop. I'm not sure if he ment to do it cause I think it scratches the canopy.

Speaking of crashes....Saturday the person who we spoke of in this very thread recently about violating the flight line and then making excuses for it lost the very same plane. I watched it auger in just the other side of the run way. He reported seeing the right aileron locked up and it was because of a too short servo arm that he used against his better judgement. From where I was standing I thought it looked like he snapped it with to much elevator and never let off the elevator to let it recover. If he is able to see the elevator while the plane is in a death spiral than he should contact the folks at Guiness World Records or something but I wasn't gonna try and argue with him. Either way it sucks that he lost another plane cause he's always fun to watch fly.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:51 PM
rare_bear

that edge 540 (the one that augured in on sat) was a nice plane too. i liked the supercharger/blower that he had just behind the engine. i told him he ought to put a micro servo on it coupled to the throttle and insert a hingeed airflow regulator (whateve r that is technically called) and he said "don't give me any ideas....". i also heard that the REAL reason that it went in was the inherent instability (tail heavy condition) due to the sheer weight of all those extra decals all over the rear of the fusal age. yeah, too bad it went in but better in the runway than in the pits imo. [:@]

i like that creative side, that people put into their planes above and beyond the basic kit. leroy takes his pilot figures and makes them rotate their heads with the rudder. looks too kewl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.