Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What do you LIKE the most about this hobby

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What do you LIKE the most about this hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALL of the above reasons are good, but...

I get the most enjoyment visiting this webpage and seeing the redundance some questions are asked. Gee, is the search function that hard to use?
Old 06-27-2003, 03:38 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ALL of the above reasons are good, but...

Originally posted by Gene Chernosky
I get the most enjoyment visiting this webpage and seeing the redundance some questions are asked. Gee, is the search function that hard to use?
I hear ya, bud. If I didn't use the search, I would be one of the top posters by now. Lots of questions can be answered that way, but keep in mind that some people aren't as computer savvy as others. I'm just thankful that RCU has so many patient members that are willing to answer the same question over and over again.

Maybe Marc should consider a FAQ? Maybe that's already been suggested?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Re: ALL of the above reasons are good, but...

Originally posted by Deadeye
I'm just thankful that RCU has so many patient members that are willing to answer the same question over and over again.

Maybe Marc should consider a FAQ? Maybe that's already been suggested?
Believe it or not, that's exactly how the "How To" columns started. I saw so many people asking about how to correctly install CA Hinges, and I realized that the frist few who asked got good replies, but people (me included) were getting tired of answering the same question over and over, so the answers were getting shorter and shorter (not to mention the answers from rookies who didn't know what they were talking about). So I did a "How To Install CA Hinges" article and submitted it to Marc.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Each month, I would try to find something that was a hot topic, and do a "How To" on it. I'm about due for another, but I've been pretty busy with other stuff (Life, RCU, and oh yea.. I have a regular job too!).

I'll get another one up soon.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Ptarmigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you LIKE the most about this hobby

I love airplanes and I like to meet different and interesting people at RC fields.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Chris-B-chips

watching the expression on peoples faces as they expect my Dad to fly the plane but instead they see a 10 year old boy at controls so there's the usual "hit the deck!!" from people who aren't used to it as i pull into a rolling circle 6 feet off the ground.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:51 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just love airplanes. Been in love with planes since I was a little kid. My dad could never afford to buy me that first trainer.

I finally grew up and got a good job. I started flying in June of 1998. I soloed with my LT-40 after a gallon of fuel and I've been grinning ear too ear ever since.

I attend the club meetings, but I absolutely love the commradery at the field. Seeing your buddies' new plane or having your buddy standing next to you as you do the maiden on your new aerobat. It helps to have someone standing next to me and remind me to breath and wiggle my toes a bit on those maiden flights.

Grabbing the trashbag and heading out to help a friend pick up the pieces after an unfortunate "nose cone" landing. Patting your buddy on the shoulder and reminding him that it wasn't the first crash and it won't be the last one.

Laughing your butt off at the club jerk as he plants his plane "nose cone" first into the concrete runway. Run and get the video camera so we can all laugh at him at the next meeting.

Helping a newbie learn how to tune his 2-stroke by ear.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:29 PM
vtol_guy

hmmmm....

building definatly
just the general flying!
also the people, my current club has some great people in it but i have to admit that in this hobby, some people are complete ****'s and but the majority are really good people
Old 07-01-2003, 04:47 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I like how everyone kinda helps eachother @ airshows, etc... At least that has been my experience.. Everyone is there for the fun of it, and we all enjoy helping eachother....

The other thing I like is that it helps me keep my dad's memory alive for me.. We started flying as a father/son hobby when I was about 7 1/2, back in 81
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Two things, Flying and Talking!
Old 07-05-2003, 02:05 AM
NC Paul

The ear to ear grin when my student completes his/her first solo!
Old 07-05-2003, 09:47 AM
KJohn

There are MANY things I like about this hobby and I explained them in another thread to a GREAT extent !!

However overall I like the fact that there are so many creative and innovative people in this hobby. They tend to think 'outside the box'. There are endless little puzzles to solve. I am not really interested in helicopters for example, but I love to listen to someone that is into that part of the hobby tell me about what he 'discovered' and what he wants to try in order to control that concern. It is the analysis of a concern and suggested solution to that concern followed by actual testing of the solutions that is of interest.

I don't classify golf or fishing as BAD but it does just not have the creativity I need to really enjoy a hobby. What I am finding out is that I enjoy the puzzle solving that needs to be done. And it becomes even more interesting when I am involved with people that also enjoy finding solutions. Many people can find problems in everything they do during the day. Then I talk with serious R/C enthusiasts and they spend a good portion of their time discovering solutions. The later is my kind of crowd.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:19 PM
WOW-OOPS

I like hot dog flying and watching others fly, even trainers. At the field I like to talk RC, and a joke or two, not about vintage cars, fishing ext. So I generally sit alone and watch the planes fly. I also like to fly alone. Our club has a rule that we can't fly alone so I go to the school yard then.
I really like swap shops and ARF's, because I don't like to build.
I like the club meetings for the show and tell and the model talk before the meeting starts and the fun police (circle flyer's) want to make more new rules.
The guys and gal in my club are all OK and we all get along good. I can get any help that I want and some that I don't. I have had to hold my tongue several times so as not to make enemies.
I enjoy reading the posts on RCU and spend way too much time on it, but I get such good ideas, like the PBF.

Gene
Old 07-05-2003, 04:55 PM
aircowboy
My Feedback: (10)

surviving the crashes!