Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Does UPS Really Settle Claims?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Does UPS Really Settle Claims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does UPS Really Settle Claims?

I recently received an ESM LA-7 from a fellow modeler down in Florida. The box was left at my residence and looked like King Kong had tried using it as a squeeze box! Both ends were compressed like an accordion and it looked like someone had tried to drop kick it on one end. I started the claim process with UPS and it seems that eventhough I started the claim the refund (if approved) will go to the shipper and not to me. I told the CSR at UPS that I would consider trying to repair the fuselage but she indicated that UPS would not deal with me but only with the person or company that shipped the item. So, in worst case scenario they decide not to cover the damage what happens to the plane? Since I no longer have possession will they be dumb enough to send it all the way back to the shipper or give me an option? I've heard some pretty bad stories about UPS and their customer service sorta being like the proverbial black hole. If anyone has any experience with them let me know what to expect.

Happy Flying!

Loopman []
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
SunnyFlyer09

Default RE: Does UPS Really Settle Claims?

They are famous for denying claims, stating that the item was not boxed/padded properly.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
outdoorhunting

Use FEDEX!!!! UPS will do everything they can NOT to pay!! Why do you think when delivering they put the package on your doorstep & sometimes ring the doorbell & then run like h*&^ back to the truck. If I have ANY choice, I'll NOT use UPS.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Loopman

I was at home expecting UPS and when I saw the truck drive up my street (which is a cul de sac) and not stop anywhere I at first thought nothing of it. After about an hour I called them to see if that was the driver that was suppose to pick up the package. The CSR said that the driver had attempted a pick up at 11:35am (that was when I saw the truck). I informed the CSR that I had watched the truck drive right by without stopping! They got back with me and said the driver would be back before 6:30pm. I had in fact caught them (or the driver) in a lie! They have all ready started a negative process with me which I hope comes to a positive end!

Happy Flying!

Loopman[:@]
Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I shipped an ARF once and it never got there....I had to prove that I bought the item and how much I paid for it. I don't care if it was a box of rocks, I insured it and THEY lost it and I HAVE TO PROVE WHAT I PAID FOR IT????

6 months later I got the check for $200!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They came thru for me. I got the check and got to keep the planes which I fixed and fly now.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Loopman

Well, I guess I can always walk into UPS Corporate and raise a stink if need be. They're right here in the ATL!

Happy Flying!

Loopman [:-]
Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I do reviews here on RCU and I receive product from the manufacturers shipped UPS all the time. Last year I received a plane from one of the major manufacturers in which they had placed the engine in the box. When I received the box there was a large hole punched in the bottom of the box and the engine was missing, as well as the fuselage of the plane was damaged. I contacted the company and let them know. They started a claim with UPS but was told that since the package was not insured there was nothing they could do about it.
Unfortunately this has now caused the major manufacturer to have to insure EVERY review plane they ship out, which of course we all pay for. The funny thing is that now they insure all the packages and they always seems to show up with ZERO damage! Also, another piece of advice in situations like this are to 1) request all packages to be shipped with signature required for delivery. This will mean that just can' t leave the damaged box on your porch and run. See if you can ship it someplace where you know you can recieve it it's easer this way. We own our own business and I have them shipped to the office so I can get it in person. 2) when shipping requested signature you can aslo specify who is authorized to sign for the item. that way they can't just go to your neighbor and get them to sign. 3) inspect the box before you sign for the package. If the box is damaged on the outside in any fashion open the box and inspect the contents before you sign for it. The driver is going to tell you that you have to sign so he can get going but don't let him leave until you inspect the contents. If it's damaged in any way refuse delivery on it. By doing this it forces UPS to ship back to the shipper (at UPS' expense) and then deal with paying the shipper for damages on an insured item.

By doing the above you can help protect yourself with UPS

Ken
Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Errr I hate shipping...

But I have found that Lumpers are good at tossing and packing a trailer as fast as possible, loading docks are not full of gentle concerned employees.

I have the clerk sign my receipt, accepting the package in good condition' also FedEx will enter it into their system as packed properly Only IF they see it before its taped up.

You can build a plywood crate around a kit and UPS will still try to deny responsibility, even though it was their conveyor that smashed it.

Good Luck Though... Dan
Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Loopman

Hey Guys,
Here's what's going on in the UPS claim. One of their claims supervisors called me and said that they would not be doing an onsite assessment of my damaged item (plane). Instead, they e-mailed me instructions on how to supply them with digital pics of the shipping box, the packing contents and the damage to the plane. From these they will make their assessment. I took what I thought were clear and honest photos (did not embellish anything) and sent them to UPS. They have also all ready contacted the dealership from where the plane was shipped. I am having a positive experience so far from UPS but the "proof of the pudding" will be an appropriate reimbursement with which I can buy another plane (whenever Troy Built Models gets them in).

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 04-10-2010, 03:12 PM
outdoorhunting

Keep us posted Loopman. Good luck
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Loopman

I urge anyone who reads this thread to cease shipping and/or consider another shipper. UPS disavowed any responsibility for the clearly inefficient handling of an ESM LA-7 that was shipped to me last week. First, they were suppose to pick up the plane to do an assessment of damage but the driver drove right by my house without stopping. I called UPS and sure enough the driver had reported that he had attempted a pick up but no one was home. Second, I requested an "on-site" assessment as I did not want them getting their hands on the plane again. They said they would schedule one but that never happened. I got a call from a claims person who e-mailed me directions for taking digital photos that I could send back to them so they could make an assessment. This morning I got a call from the shipper that UPS was denying any responsibility for damage. The reason was that the shipping container was not sufficient to protect the contents and they would not be liable for any damage. This is the same type of "container" that every ARF from China comes packed in and they said it was not sufficient!

Even though I started the claim and took the photos and spoke with their CSRs, they would not share any of this with me. I called UPS Corporate and they were totally uncaring and referred me back to the shipper. I know this is the "pot calling the kettle black" but as an accountant in the hospitality field it is easy to look past the customer and see only the bottom line. BUT, without customers there is no bottom line! UPS has a CEO who is a CPA and I have my doubts that he is in touch with not only his people but also his customers. I will not use any of UPS's services going forward and I strongly suggest other fellow modelers do the same.

Happy Flying! (Not Shipping)

Loopman [:@]

Old 04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
outdoorhunting

Live & learn, I guess. I NEVER useUPS unless there is NO OTHER choice. Then I sweat bullets untill my package arrives.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
DFWS
My Feedback: (8)

What does UPS stand for?

If you work for them it's

U under
P paid
S slaves

If you ship with them it's

U usually
P pulverised
S shipments
Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is amazing they charge for insurance and then back out of the claim-due to insufficent packaging although the package was ok to be shipped-I am suprised they have not had one of those big class action settlements levied against them.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM
aerofly0610

Anyone watch history channel or modern marvels???  There was a new episode called Delivery.  It was all about how things get delivered.  About half the show was about UPS (I wonder how that happened).  It shows/explained how a box gets delivered through the UPS system.  Interesting stuff.  What was the most amusing was they actually showed how rough the handlers/sorters are with the packages.  "Workers sort packages as quick as possible to get them to the destination on time."

I order a lot of stuff from newegg and only had one product get damaged from UPS.  It did take forever to get reimbursed, but I did get a replacement product.  This was 3-4 years ago, so maybe it has changed. *shrugs*
Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
cajun1

Folks, it's not just UPS. I'm getting the same runaround from our dear old USPS.

Package never delivered even though their own routing slip showed it delivered while I was at home. I can't file the claim, only the shipper can file the claim. I've already paid for the merchandise plus the shipping.

Fat chance I'le ever hear anything from that deal.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 AM
outdoorhunting

Yah, USPS isn't much better. However, have you EVER seen anything the government is involved be run correctly !!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

You are not UPS's customer. TBM is.UPS hasno responsibility to reimburse you for damages. TBM, however, does. They, regardless of the claim with or against UPS, should ship you another model. That's seems to be what frustrates folks with shipping companies. In most cases, they are contracted by the shipper not the recipient.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM
outdoorhunting

OK, according to K-Bob, the retails might be, I'm saying, might be, getting the claim money from UPS & then dragging their feet to give us the service??
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM
SteveW
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

OK, according to K-Bob, the retails might be, I'm saying, might be, getting the claim money from UPS & then dragging their feet to give us the service??
K-Bob is correct. UPS will not deal with you, their contract is with the entity you purchased from.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact of the matter is - all shippers will deny ALL claims first time around. The logic is that a certain percentage will not follow up or dispute the claim.

FB
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM
outdoorhunting

I think you call that, the squeaky wheel gets the grease thing
Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Loopman

Hey Guys,
Well, I just got word from the shipper that UPS has re-reviewed the claim and will be paying it! This is contradictory to their included statement that the packagaing was insufficient to safeguard the contents! But, as long as they pay I don't really give a flip how they rationalize it! Now the question is how long will it take to get a check from them?!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is great news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.