Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

spelling and grammar check

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

spelling and grammar check

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Hydroxine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spelling and grammar check

lol

Sorry in advanced people. I am one of those people who forgets the apostrophie. I dont (don't) mean to do it, its just i type quite quickly at times.

As for going on about dates... Why is it when you ask somebody 'How old is your child?' and they respond '21 months old'... what you want me to do maths? Just say 1... or nearly 2. Is it that hard? WHY!?!?!?!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Babies' ages are normally counted in months, not years, up to two years old. That's just the way it is
Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Hydroxine

Yeah, it sucks... Why cant they just simplify it? lol

Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM
scale only 4 me

You'll get grey hairs asking "why" so much
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Hydroxine

I'm 25 and starting to go bald... Now i know why.

Sorry, i'm quite inquisitive about life in general.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Write the statement in Word. Copy, then paste. F7 to spell check and grammar.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 PM
barndawg77

Here's one of my old favorites:

M R ducks
M R not
M R 2
C D E D B D wangs?
L I B
M R ducks
Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

This post reminds me of a farming joke my uncle told me...

The son - returning home from college says to his father: "Hi Dad."
The father says: "Hi Son; welcome home - what did you learn in college?"
The son says: "Oh, you know, pie-R-squared and all that stuff."
The father says: " Com'on Son, pie are not square - pie are round - cornbread are square!"
Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 AM
el-John-o

Outside of the typing world, the incorrect use of the word "Don't" annoys the daylights out of me.

Example "This don't work".  What this person means is "This does not work" meaning it isn't functional, however, what you are saying, translated from broken English is "See this?  Do not operate it".  Wheras "This doesn't work" means "See this?  It can not be operated".  The literal meanings go from a command not to use it, to informing you it does not function, in hindsight most of you know that, but still, annoys me to no end.  I doesn't really know why :/

Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 AM
perreback

ORIGINAL: Stripes

Does anyone know where the permission to drop the ''H'' sound from the beginning of a word comes from? I was raised to believe that herb was pronounced ''erb'' and that vehicle was pronounced ''veicle.'' There seems to exist no rule in the English language for it. It appears to me to be a holdover from a bad lower class English accent.
Article on H-dropping: http://everything2.com/title/h-dropping
Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 AM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

A big peeve of mine is the phrase '' first year anniversary'', or ''one year anniversary''. It should be ''first anniversary''. The word anniversary is from Latin for ''turning a year''. Using the word year in the same sentence as the word anniversary is a redundancy. A phrase like ''two month anniversary'' is just plain nonsense.
I have to agree.

Here’s another one. How about the term, "First annual"? I’ll call it acceptable to use the term when talking in retrospect. Such as: “The first annual Bob’s Fly-in was held in 1993.”

The statement I find peculiar is: “Join us for the first annual Bob’s Fly-in.” How can an event be annual if it was never held before? Shouldn’t they be saying “Join us for Bob’s Fly-in, which we hope will become an annual event?”

Plenty of good points are being made in this thread of which I agree with. However I think we’re preaching to the choir. The people that really need to pay attention won’t even bother clicking on this thread.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Billygoat,

You nailed it. As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"
Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: perreback

ORIGINAL: Stripes

Does anyone know where the permission to drop the ''H'' sound from the beginning of a word comes from? I was raised to believe that herb was pronounced ''erb'' and that vehicle was pronounced ''veicle.'' There seems to exist no rule in the English language for it. It appears to me to be a holdover from a bad lower class English accent.
Article on H-dropping: http://everything2.com/title/h-dropping

Thank you for that. it's quite a nice write-up.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
skeeter_ca

Well, I'm not in any choir but i did read the thread.

I worry about my spelling and grammar on every thread. But I never paid attention in english and could not tell you the difference between a preposition and a adverb. The one thing I do is make sure it sounds good in my head and reread the post two or three times to make sure it is as close to correct as i can get it. I had to check spelling on three words in this post.

The posts that get me are the ones where you can tell they don't care how it looks or sounds.

skeeter
Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BillyGoat

Here’s another one. How about the term, ''First annual''? I’ll call it acceptable to use the term when talking in retrospect. Such as: “The first annual Bob’s Fly-in was held in 1993.”

The statement I find peculiar is: “Join us for the first annual Bob’s Fly-in.” How can an event be annual if it was never held before? Shouldn’t they be saying “Join us for Bob’s Fly-in, which we hope will become an annual event?”

If you plan to make an event an annual one, then there's nothing wrong with calling it the "First Annual [Event]". Next year will be the "Second Annual [Event]", and so on.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

ORIGINAL: tacx

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
If yuo can raed tihs, we dno't need slepl cechk.
Bump
Bumping.

Oh by the way, as long as we're on the spell subject and all.....
O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to (too)much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! (marks) Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
MinnSpin

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Bump
Bumping.

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to (too)much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! (marks) Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Bumped.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Bax

ORIGINAL: BillyGoat

Here’s another one. How about the term, ''First annual''? I’ll call it acceptable to use the term when talking in retrospect. Such as: “The first annual Bob’s Fly-in was held in 1993.”

If you plan to make an event an annual one, then there's nothing wrong with calling it the ''First Annual [Event]''. Next year will be the ''Second Annual [Event]'', and so on.

Wrong sir,
The proper word to use is "Inaugural",, that means "marking a beginning : first in a projected series"
Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 AM
perreback

Bump
Bumping.

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to (too) much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! (marks) Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Bumped.
So - I guess we've established that "bump" is a regular verb.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
MinnSpin

changing history through a vector loop in the time ribbon

Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 PM
perreback

Come to think of it, "bump" might also be a countable noun. But "bumped" is most certainly a verb.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
outdoorhunting

Ths sure is getting boring !!!I really don't care about a "countable noun", I don't give a "rat's a_ _ about all that other stuff !!!! If a fellow posts on RCU & gets a couple of words spelled wrong - big deal !! If I keep reading this stuff all the "intellectuals" are writing & try to follow it, I'll NEVER get anything posted !!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
perreback

This was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, see?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
MinnSpin

I appreciate your educated humor - thanks for making my day
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
dbspl

ORIGINAL: perreback

Bump
Bumping.

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to (too) much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! (marks) Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Bumped.
So - I guess we've established that ''bump'' is a regular verb.
Not necessarily.
A verb's classification, whether regular or abstract (citing sentence structure) is dependent upon the langauge in which it is contexted. Subsequently, a verb may become the subject of argument denoting several entities within it's own substructure, i.e.; Valency or the number of arguments that a verb takes versus Copula, a special kind of verb used to link other verbs, which may well be the case with respect to the verb I chose to use.
Ultimately, one may deduce, whether regular or abstract, ''bump'' is a verb.
Here ends the lesson.

Langauge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.