Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

spelling and grammar check

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

spelling and grammar check

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spelling and grammar check

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:10 PM
klaymon

Default RE: spelling and grammar check

ORIGINAL: tacx

O.K., I can't take it anymore. We need spell checker. Grammar checker would be great, but I know that is asking to much. Even a coma or a period would be nice. I read these posts and I am amazed that someone can type a whole paragraph without a comma, period, capital letter, or any of the other punctuation mark! Some of these questions could be answered easily if there were not ten different ways to interpret them.

Sorry. Icouldn't help MYself...

Old 04-24-2010, 09:32 PM
tacx

Ha! I was in a coma!! LOL. Like I said, We need spell check.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

3 words
google toolbar
Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 AM
BUDMAN27

We use to have it. Why don,t we have anymore ?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:44 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I think it was slow and never worked right, I've never seen a message board spell check that works well

google baby, it works for me,, I suck at typing and spelling, One click and I see all my errors
Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a spell-checker called "ieSpell" that works well, but as the OP said, there is more a problem with grammar and punctuation than spelling.

My personal pet peeves are the interchange of words like:

Then and than

There, their and they're

And the most common one that I see even from well-educated people:

To, too and two

Personally, I'm still having trouble with Affect and Effect
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
HunkaJunk

I think spell checkers have ruined us. I remember back when we didn't have all these gizmos, I was a much better speller than I am now. Or maybe I'm just getting old??

Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 AM
outdoorhunting

I've noticed a lot of the bad spelling is from people in our own country. The people from overseas, (usually) have better spelling & gramar than us. " I think it's embarassing. There's a couple of guys that have to be total idiots by the way they spell.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: HunkaJunk

I think spell checkers have ruined us. I remember back when we didn't have all these gizmos, I was a much better speller than I am now. Or maybe I'm just getting old??
I respectfully disagree. I've always been a fairly good speller, but there were still a few words that I had trouble with. Since I've been using a computer to write, it became easy to use a spell checker rather than to "Go look it up". After repeatedly having a spell checker correct my commonly misspelled words, I have learned to spell them correctly.

It's the people who DON'T use spell-check that repeatedly misspell words.

Now I use it more to catch typos than spelling.

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I've noticed a lot of the bad spelling is from people in our own country. The people from overseas, (usually) have better spelling & gramar than us. '' I think it's embarassing. There's a couple of guys that have to be total idiots by the way they spell.
Yea, it's a sad commentary on the state of our education system. And BTW, it's "grammar" and "embarrassing"

But those (to me) are acceptable misspellings. I have seen things like, "Hammydown" instead of "Hand-me-down" and "I mise well" instead of, "I might as well"
Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 AM
tacx

i agry i dont no y piple cant spel or use praper gramr i thinc informasion teknolagy has ternd us al into ideots it macks no cents to me 1 guy say he flys his PLAN ?? go fegure we shuld anser there kuessions the sam way thay ax um.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 AM
KW_Counter

HunkaJunk,
Ever think you were a bad speller before and didn't know it
because you didn't have a spell checker?

I just switched from IE to Mozilla Firefox and it has a spell checker - I love it!
I agree, the spelling here, and other boards, is atrocious and it makes some posts hard to read.
There is no law that says you have to. If I can't understand it I move on.

By the way, when they had the spell checker few used it.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 AM
MinnFlyer

Also, a lot of it is also the screwed-up language we use!

If you consider:

Laugh
women
nation

Then, "ghoti" spells "FISH"

Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 AM
BillyGoat

A spell/grammar checker would be nice. Although I highly doubt the posters that need to use it, would.

My peeve… The 1000 word paragraph. I skip right over those posts.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:23 AM
vasek

Get Firefox, you will have an automatic spell check(er).[8D]
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Yes, tacx, you proved your own point. Hey, I'm not a perfect speller either and my grammar isn't always the best but I agree with you 100%. My biggest pet peave of all is the word "definately". The correct spelling is d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y. This has become so commonplace that I have begun to think that many people question their own spelling even when they spell it correctly.

Brian
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 AM
chunkyplunker

I'm an ID10T, so usually I copy and paste mine to word and use the spell check on it. I find though sometimes spell check also isn’t ID10T proof.

I also notice that most people type in their regional dialect and that is hard not to do. I myself speak Hillbilly and sometimes type that way with a little redneck included.

Ya all no what I’m a sayin.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We stopped with our spellchecker because better solutions are:

Firefox
Google Toolbar
IEspell

all three options have superior and easier to use spellcheckers then anything we could install here.  All are free too
Old 04-25-2010, 01:28 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I could really get into this thread. I made my feelings known in this very forum a couple years ago concerning just how I felt about writing appearing in public places that was virtually impossible to interpret, primarily due to lack of punctuation. But I got severely chastised for having the temerity to express such feelings in this very public forum. So I won't do it again[>:].

An incident happened at our house a couple weeks ago that I still can't get my mind around. We recenly inherited an eleven year old and a fourteen year old girl to raise. The older one was writing something for me and it was printed. I asked her to write it in cursive and she looked at me like I had just taken leave of my mind. They have never been taught to write in cursive. They don't know how to writeprinting only has been taught. Is writing in long hand or cursive going to be a lost art? And why do so many folks fail to see this as alarming? Anyway, enough of that.

As far as ability so spell is concerned, for a long while I thought that ability to spell was directly linked to intelligence. Then I took a job and soon came to realize that my immediate superior was one of the most intelligent men I had ever met on many different levels. He was funny, compassionate, smart, considerate and a really good boss. But anything over three letters and Doc was gonna spell it wrong somehow. So that blew my theory out of the water that smart people would automatically be able to spell correctly.

MinnFlyer is correct in many observations he has made in this thread, none more than this language, corrupted English, is almost impossible to learn. It follows no rules, makes no sense in many cases, and relies so heavily on memory. Staying with it is almost as frustrating as staying with the fractional system of weights and measures when the metric system is out there and so much easier to use. We simply insist on doing it the hard way.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
outdoorhunting

yougotthatwrite!! My daddi/ unkle tautme hoe to spelll! hewas a gooden.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also love Firefox (Mozilla) for the spell check (which is automatic as it flags any miss spelling by underlining in red) as well as having a dictionary should you want to use it. It also lets you add any new words (like an unusual factory name) if you desire.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

If yuo can raed tihs, we dno't need slepl cechk.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes the misspellings have some amusement value. Some guy on one thread meant to complain that some of his club members were "prima donnas," but wrote "pre madonnas."
Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 PM
barndawg77

Hammydown...that made me laugh! I think I'll start using that one. The "I mise well " instead of "I might as well" is a midwestern / southern thing, especially down here in kansas, oklahoma, missouri etc. It's said as one word. For example, " Hey man, you wanna go fishin'?" to which a common reply is, " Misewell!". Another good one is "muncle" instead of " my uncle" .
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
carrellh

Ha! I was in a coma!! LOL. Like I said, We need spell check.
Spell check will not detect coma where you mean comma.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.