Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

CARF Rudder Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 10:20 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CARF Rudder Repair

Just got my first CARF. Great flying airplane. However it appears that the wood spine that holds the hinges has come loose from the skin. There is rudder control, the rudder does work, but I believe it will fail if not repaired soon. Even though I can see the movement between the skin and the wood, I cannot see how one would get any epoxy in there to make the joints reliably solid again. Sure, I could get in through the little slots and drip it down, but there is no way to ensure the epoxy is getting where it needs to go.

Has anyone been through this that has a reliable, minimally invasive, cost effective method of repairing this?
Old 10-29-2021, 03:58 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The only way to get glue where it needs to be is to remove the rudder leading edge, glue what you need to but with a waxed piece of 5/32 music wire through the hinge to make sure everything stays aligned. After the repair is done you would just tape the leading edge back in place with some clear tape. Only other real option is order a new rudder but typically not a direct drop in.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:35 AM
djmp69

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
The only way to get glue where it needs to be is to remove the rudder leading edge, glue what you need to but with a waxed piece of 5/32 music wire through the hinge to make sure everything stays aligned. After the repair is done you would just tape the leading edge back in place with some clear tape. Only other real option is order a new rudder but typically not a direct drop in.
Yeah I was a fraid of that. With the color scheme, and everything going on in the world now, might be dang near impossible to get cost effectively--I just might have to open it up. Not terribly hard, just annoying. I'm most concerned about it opening back up though while flying fast. Any caveats you have about ensuring that doesnt happen?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2021, 07:07 PM
speedracerntrixie

Depends on what you find. If the Rohacell has failed then I would suggest applying enough pressure to get it back together and slowly saturate with thin CA. If the wood has just pulled away then straight slow cure epoxy. If there was a manufacturing flaw and it didn’t get bonded in the area that failed then a mix of epoxy and cabosil.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:32 PM
djmp69

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Depends on what you find. If the Rohacell has failed then I would suggest applying enough pressure to get it back together and slowly saturate with thin CA. If the wood has just pulled away then straight slow cure epoxy. If there was a manufacturing flaw and it didn’t get bonded in the area that failed then a mix of epoxy and cabosil.
Well no, I meant more about opening up the rudder to even get at the repair. Once done, I'd have to close it back up. I wouldnt want my repaired cut to open up in flight.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:08 AM
speedracerntrixie

I used to just tape it back in place with some clear vinyl. Same thing happened on my 3M Extra 260.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:11 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Just cut the center 1/2 to 2/3 of the leading edge out, so it looks like an open shell taco. It only needs to be just just wide enough to get a hysol nozzle or an epoxy mixing stick inside the leading edge.

them once done, put the cut free piece back in and use some clear tape to hold it back in like Trixie said.

done properly, you’ll have no more open space for air to get inside than it did originally.