Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Why not move on to R/C ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Why not move on to R/C ?

I do both. RC combat in my opinion is more satisfying than CL combat. Your ratio of flying time to building/repair time is much better. It also takes less field prep. The range of stunts that you can do with a CL model is too limited when compared to a 3D style RC profile job. What is a shame is to see all of the brilliant and talented controlline guys who are short changing themselves [and who are now beginning to get up there in years ] by not giving RC a try.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Old Sourdough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pahtcub

How do you do that and not get dizzy or sick??? I don't get it.

Pat
===========================
Pat,

There are techniques for avoiding dizziness. The one that works for me is to only look at the plane a small amount of the time it's in the air. The rest of the time I'm focused on the background. I set my head at eight to ten fixed points around the circle and let the plane fly through my field of vision. I don't get dizzy using this technique. When I tried focusing on the plane, the very blurry background made me think that I was spinning very fast, thereby making me dizzy. Once you're used to flying, you can concentrate more on the plane as you learn to stunt.

No big deal at all.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:26 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny, I found that for me it's the other way around. I used to get dizzy until I learned to concentrate on the model itself. Been doing it that way ever since with just enough attention to the ground to avoid hitting "The Big Green Thing".

But yeah, at first you do tend to become a bit dizzy if you don't learn what works and set your mind to it. It's like some folks get motion sick and others don't but even the ones that do can become aclimatized to the disturbance and learn to avoid the motion sickness.

But a belly full of coffee and greasy fried eggs and bacon on a bobbing dive charter boat is a sure recipe to being seasick even if you don't normally sucumb to motion sickness......

Or so I've been told....
Old 11-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Strange, I feel sorry for the RC guys that haven't or won't try CL. Really, they both are fun and are jsut not the same thing other than aeronautics are involved.

I don't really think either person is waisting away though. I know some FF guys that look at discussions like this and go back to working on their world beater P-30's.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:38 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I enjoy c/l flying only with a group, done alone it has become boring ti me.

Conversely, I enjoy r/c whether I am alone or with a group.

Bill.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:00 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a good point Mr. Robison. For that matter, what adds the most spice to my time to fly is event oriented stuff. The events don't have to have a pay off or anything but making a game out of flying is a lot more fun for me than just aimlessly burning fuel. To answer the original question that was posed 3 pages back, I think some guys that are not interested in RC are that way because they are focused on a CL related "mission" and don't have enough time to stray from their goals.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Yogi
My Feedback: (2)

I fly all types of model aircraft CL,RC,FF,and lets not forget those adult size HP Rockets.A true modeler will maintain an open mind on all types of flying and be able to have fun (remember fun) with any type of model.Each type of model creates it's own type of excitement be it speed precicision or just plain good old personal challenge to expand your own abilities. Allways keep in mind when most started this hobby it was about having FUN and being social with friends. Happy Holidays Yogi
Old 01-15-2004, 10:10 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

I LOVE MODEL AVIATION AND WILL UNTIL I AM ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DIVOTS ...Other than that, why do some find it necessary to pigeon-hole others? Just doing that tends to separate us when we should be doing the opposite. The next step is to ridicule them for their interests, life style, religion, skin color, ad nauseum. I don't look down on any form of model aviation. It's all a big smorgasbord, and I'm always hungry!...JIM
Old 01-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Shahid

Personally even though I have only flown rc I think that is does not matter what you fly. RC is exciting and so is CL. It just depends what you do. No kind of aermodelling is inferior or superior. Take Free Flighter, at the scale nationals for FF the 1/12 scale models had more detail than the 1/2 scale rcs! Fly what you want and enjoy it!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:37 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

Hello,

I'm just wondering why you R/C control line pilots do not move on to R/C controlled aircraft, which provide more realistic flight ?
Yup, been over this "discussion" many time. R/C only types find it difficult to believe we don't consider moving to R/C as moving "up". Sure, the airplanes, engines, radios and accessories are more expensive - is this what you mean by moving "up"? I was flying C/L once on a site that was located fairly close to an R/C field. Went over there to watch and started talking to one of the guys. He insisted, "Once you try one of these, you'll never go back!" I went back over and finished my day's flying on the C/L field.

My old C/L club was full of former R/C fliers who wanted a change of pace. Control line is fun, not that expensive but it is difficult to find local retail support.

BTW, I fly both but actually prefer C/L [8D]
Old 01-16-2004, 02:55 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Folks, I think this one has been hashed out enough for us to drop it. It's now closed.

If you disagree send me a PM, if you can convince me I'll reopen it. But it will have to be a lot better argument than I've seen so far on this thread.

Bill.