Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Handle Suggestions

Old 04-04-2015, 06:19 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handle Suggestions

I'm moving up from 1/2A. I'm in the market for a larger handle. Is there an obvious choice/ value? Is it all about personal preference? I've looked at Brodak and on E-bay. I would appreciate input from those of you in the know.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I normally use the stainless steel one with the thong. Brodak has a couple of wood ones that people seem to like. I have got a couple since I took that pic. but still like the stainless one best, as I can get both hands on it when needed for heavier planes. It is usually easier to make one, and then it is just exactly what you want. The combat guys like a smaller one with easily detachable lines like this. http://aerohobby.ca/store/index.php?...products_id=43
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	handles half A 002.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2086475  

Last edited by aspeed; 04-05-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm no Controline expert but have flown plenty of Controline, you are absolutely correct it is all about choice/ value,and personal preference. Check out RSM Distribution handles https://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm I took their Expert Level w/Length and Spacing Adjustments HFPRO and carved/sanded the wood handle to fit my hand better. It offers all the adjustments you could want to make to a handle. There are handles out there that let you adjust on the fly, but I make all my adjustments between flights. Being able to adjust line length and spacing is really helpful, next is comfort in my hand. Certainly robust or strong construction are just a given. A safety thong can be added to any handle.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I just took a look at what Brodak offers. Plenty of good options there. Great price range. Pick what you like.
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (01-14-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 12:09 PM
AJ Sun

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Really old post. But I will add Okie Aire has unfinished handles, Fair price. When you get them you need to do a little lite sanding to get a nice smooth finish. They fit my hand. The Brodak handles are to thin so I did a mod to make them thicker. And now they fit well. Another item about the finish. It’s a dark stain I think my first flight my hand got sweaty and off came the finish. So I prefer when I get a handle from now on that it be unfinished. That way you can leave it plain or use a nice clear varnish. Please keep in mind,I’ve been warned about metal handle, they are dangerous if your flying stainless control lines. Always use wood control handles with stainless control lines.AJ
Old 01-12-2024, 01:46 PM
AJ Sun

Well just seen RSM is no longer, been coating my Okie Air handle, boy it’s turned Cold. So I used spray Shellac. It fills wood pores. Also drilled a hole for my safety thong. On the down side of the handle. I will 400 wet or dry sand then add two more coats. shellac works great on gun stocks, that’s where I learned to use it mixed with fine saw dust to fill stock voids. Great stuff! AJ
Old 01-26-2024, 05:27 AM
AJ Sun

I've been dealing with Brodak ever sense I came back to U Control. They have a lot of U Control Items and parts. My oldest handle maybe 1963 had Wire Leadouts. I got parts to convert it into a hard point. The year's of use then maybe forty year's of storage had taken it's effect and an overhaul was needed. To include a safety thong and all new hardware. Still in the process of converting my old handle AJ.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:59 AM
AJ Sun

More Ive learned about handles.! The more I feel a hard point handle is a better choice for me! Now days I’ve seen more U Control builders and ARFs use cable attachments on cable lead outs usually .025. My last build I followed that standard. Having cable lead outs on your control handle will create a whip effect when your flying the circle. You loose that whip or maybe lesson it, using the hard point handle. And makes a better control, especially when your lines go limp. To me that usually happened in a cross wind or a tail wind. I stopped flying when it’s windy. Maybe five knots are okay,but anything above that Usually resulted in a crash. Might be my age. I just don’t move as fast. Thought I would share this!AJ