Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Ee-Zee One with Diesel Power

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Ee-Zee One with Diesel Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:58 PM
DaveyMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ee-Zee One with Diesel Power

Greetings All:

Well here it is in all its glory, finally completed today after a long time away from the workbench. Will put it to the test in the near future and let you know how it goes.

Special thanks to Steve from Wollongong for suggesting this model and for all his long-distant help.

Dave Mo...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ee-Zee One 3.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	859.2 KB
ID:	2157519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ee-Zee One I.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	824.8 KB
ID:	2157520  
Old 04-17-2016, 05:15 AM
steve111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one Dave, looks good!

If you end up doing basic aerobatics with it, you might want to move the tank up closer to the centreline of the engine.

That wire arrangement isn't actually attached to the right wingtip, is it?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM
DaveyMo

Steve:

Good suggestion on the tank mount - I suspect that aerobatics will be in its future. I mounted it low because the motor ran well on the bench in that configuration.

To answer your question on the wing wire thing, no and yes (it's removable). Unless the collective wisdom here cautions against it, I plan to try to fly it as is. Somewhere in the past, I've seen a model or two with this type of fixture. Take a peek at the original plan and notice that it shows (not very clearly) something like this. My thought on the thinking (ha!) behind it is that the induced drag would add a bit of outbound force and keep the lines tight during takeoff. I'm open to a discussion here!

Dave...
Old 04-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Dzlstunter

In the early days of C/L, many models were flown clockwise to take advantage of the engine torque to overcome the weight and drag of the lines (instead of adding weight to the outboard wing tip). I really don't know why the changeover to counterclockwise flying occurred, but it might be because of the larger number of right handed flyers.

Nice looking model. Good luck!

Dzl
Old 04-17-2016, 07:32 PM
steve111

Dave, I've seen quite a few monowheel models with ply tip skids (never bothered myself), but never a tall wire arrangement like that. I'd be a bit worried that enough force could be exerted on it during takeoff or landing to cause a bit of damage - but that's not from any personal experience.

You shouldn't have a problem with the model coming in on takeoff, as the tip weight should keep things in order. You just need to make sure you don't pull so hard on the lines as the takeoff roll starts that the model tips onto its left wingtip. Come to think of it, there's probably just as much (if not more) risk of that happening with your current arrangement.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 AM
DaveyMo

Hey, thanks DZL for the good words.

Steve: Yup, I'm convinced that the wirey arrangement has got to go! Your reasoning makes good sense, and I'm not inclined to do an empirical test to verify it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Will report back on this when my northern brother and I get together for a two-man fly-in later on.

Dave....