Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Identify a kit please

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:28 AM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Identify a kit please

Ok, im at work but will post pictures once i get home to take them. To start, im not a c/l flyer but obtained kits and finished planes from an estate of a friend i use to work with.
I have a kit that is in a mailing tub with a 1/2" profile fuse and unknown at this time, maybe all the parts to build it. I have compared the profile to the Brodak site and it matches a Lightning Streak, ie canopy, tail, both vertical and horizontal. That's the only plus i have at this time. Where it differs at is the Brodak wing has all full ribs were as this kit has 10 1/8" lightply diecut ribs with same number of LE sub ribs. Not a current Lightning Streak.
WS is roughly 48ish" but as i have no plans, hard to give any exact. Also of note is the main gear, I believe it has only one center vertical leg, like c/l racers i have seen in mags.
In going thru his collection, i have not come across any plans to match this and have contacted Brodak for a set of Lightning Streak plans for comparison. Would like to at least correctly ID it.
Thanks
Sam
Old 04-25-2016, 05:31 AM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be a PDK flight streak. Is it a triangle mailing box with no picture on the outside? that is how he has sent the kits we stock.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 04-25-2016, 02:24 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking for Pat King I can emphatically state that he does not use lite ply anything. As stated his kits if small come in the triangle postal boxes and the larger in more conventional boxes.
Dennis
Old 04-25-2016, 05:26 PM
sam@ata

Here are the parts laid out and after getting the plans for a Brodak Lightning Streak, its not really close.
The ribs as i said are 1/8" LPly diecut, the fuse is cut from wide stock as one piece. The spars, LE stock and trailing edge sheeting are 24" on each half. In all the plans that my friend did keep, i have not found any plans that cover these parts so any ideas are appreciated.
As for the mailing tube, it was reused from what ever the original shipper used it for. It is round and very thick mailing tube, roughly 7-8" in dia. There are several stickers for shipping from "DTW" so it may have came from the dallas area and shipped to a guy in Avon, IN. This may have been the same guy that my friend got the estate hobby related stuff from prior to his passing.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160425_203616.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2159175   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160425_203804.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	2159176   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160425_204026.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	2159177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160425_204817.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	2159178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160425_204844.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	2159179  

Last edited by sam@ata; 04-25-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 PM
bobsrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lite ply ribs and sub ribs are a feature of the Sig Skyray 35.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:23 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I also am pretty sure it's a SIG Skyray-35. You can download the original instructions at http://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/sig-c-l-kits/

Just go down the page to kit CL25 - you'll find it there. Sorry 'bout the lack of a plan sheet. One day I'll find one, and it'll be included also. However, the kit IS still in production - you might call SIG and see if a copy of the instruction sheet can be bought.

Last edited by skylark-flier; 04-25-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:19 AM
sam@ata

I believe it has been found, Sig Skyray 35 matches all the parts. Yes i will contact Sig and see if a set of plans can be bought. Thanks for all the input in determining this kit.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis
Speaking for Pat King I can emphatically state that he does not use lite ply anything. As stated his kits if small come in the triangle postal boxes and the larger in more conventional boxes.
Dennis
You are right I did not catch that. I was looking at the statement mailing tube and shaped like a Brodack Flight Streak. A picture would have helped
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SIG Skyray 35 is a good flier! The spruce spars and ply ribs may have been chosen as less expensive than balsa, or for some extra strength. The wing structure is the long-established LE, TE, with top & bottom spars at max rib depth, sheeted center section format.

Incidentally, the lite-ply ribs can serve as templates for balsa ribs in later models. Balsa spars are fully adequate for average flier use, too.

A lighter Skyray flies even better! Has had success in stunt in top expert hands using stock OS 25FP engines and the STOCK muffler!

There was, possibly still is, a CL Carrier unofficial event - Skyray Carrier. Intended as a simpler (equipment- and cost-wise) introductory event. Could, and will, check the Carrier site. NO mods to the basic kit shapes and proportions Other Profile CL Carrier events allow line sliders to rake leadoutsaft for the low-speed phase...

Only mods allowed are changes necessary to operate throttle, and trip a latch to drop the hook for arrested-landing position.

A quick dip into the Navy Carrier Society website found these rules:

AMA Official Profile Navy Carrier rules apply with the following exceptions:

Airplane: Sig Skyray35 kit

Acceptable modifications:

a. Two wheel landing gear is allowed.
b. A standard 3-line contest control system (elevator and throttle) or electronic throttle control.
c. Reposition the leadouts on the wing tip other than where shown on the plans. (Line sliders are NOT allowed)
d. Addition of an arresting hook (same as profile rules)
e. No moveable flight control surfaces are allowed other than elevator.

Engine: Maximum displacement: .409 cubic inch

Fuel: The fuel shall contain 10% nitromethane, 20% lubricant, and 70% methanol by volume.

Bonus Points: None

High Speed: 75 mph maximum, faster speeds are allowed but 75 mph will be used for scoring.

Last edited by Lou Crane; 04-27-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Lou Crane

Just a thought...

I have a SIG Skyray 35 kit new-in-box. The plans are traditional SIG quality, i. e., excellent!

If SIG no longer has the kits or plans available, and they have no objection to others filling that gap ( I'll check, but as I paid them for the kit, I should be okay cutting a "working copy" for my use or "loan" to others.) If all this is the case, I'd ask no more than my cost to copy and mail them to others - one by one, at no profit to me.

I will, and you can, check the SIG Manufacturing website. Search for anything near that should get you there, and it IS always best to attempt to go to the originator first.

I believe my email is available through this site. If not, find a way to PM me, and we can pursue it further... The Skyray 35 is definitely worth such effort!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lou,

Very generous offer! PM sent.

Bill
Old 05-06-2016, 05:49 AM
sam@ata

Thanks Lou for the offer as i have already ordered and received the plans and hardware from Sig. Im still debating building this or passing it on but it is tempting. I went and met fliers from the local c/l club so im looking into doing some circle flying.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Lou Crane

Sam,
Welcome back! Indianapolis area was a serious center for CL (at least stunt/sport-stunt) a few years back. You should have good and welcoming support from your club's members...

CL is unique for at least two things -

You can FEEL what the model is doing in flight... (Not possible in FF or RC!)

And, CL fliers have to be 'nice guys' to have friends they trust to launch their models, and to be trusted friends others rely on to launch theirs. My decades old gag line on that is: "...unless their arms are about 60' long. If so, they don't even need the lines."

The SIG Skyray 35 is a very good flier, and - NOTE TO OTHERS!!- it is still listed available in the SIG full catalog document. NOT in the abbreviated on-line catalog... Kit price is quite reasonable. Plans are listed as separately available - I just haven't pursued price and availability for them yet. Tomorrow???

Anyway, Sam, welcome back, and happy flying!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Lou Crane

Bill and others following this topic...

I searched - superficially but thoroughly I hope - and found that I passed along my Skyray 35 to a local flying buddy a while back. Intend to check if he still has the plans...

Glad to find that SIG still lists both the kit and the plans as available! This is in the full PDF catalog document, not the abbreviated on-line shopping guide. The full document lists almost everything SIG has ever sold - I'd expect that much of the stuff taken over from, e.g., Berkeley has zeroed out on-hand stock, but many SIG items are still alive! They originated them; try them first for what you need/want.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou Crane
Bill and others following this topic...

I searched - superficially but thoroughly I hope - and found that I passed along my Skyray 35 to a local flying buddy a while back. Intend to check if he still has the plans...

Glad to find that SIG still lists both the kit and the plans as available! This is in the full PDF catalog document, not the abbreviated on-line shopping guide. The full document lists almost everything SIG has ever sold - I'd expect that much of the stuff taken over from, e.g., Berkeley has zeroed out on-hand stock, but many SIG items are still alive! They originated them; try them first for what you need/want.
Hey Lou! Just a quick question here - is that "full PDF catalog" the 119 page PDF that's downloadable from the SIG website?

That one's great for presently available stuff, no doubt. However, if anyone is interested in SIG's history, I've got a website that I built with the help of the late/great Mike Gretz. It not only has everything (aircraft kits/ARFs, etc) presently available, it's also got nearly everything SIG's ever put out, and in the case of a lot of the Berkeley stuff, the original kits are there too. I even recently added a VERY OLD plan for a free-flight plane - before SIG started kitting (yeah, THAT old).

Take a look-see at http://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/ - pretty cool stuff.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:13 AM
sam@ata

Thanks Lou. Dave , i have been on your site, lots of info for sure. I have been R/C since 78' but only recently came inot some c/l stuff. One thing nice is that there is still an active c/l club in my area and i have already joined and will be getting to fly a Goldberg Shoestring and also refurb a Cosmic Wind. I also have a plane that was designed right here in Clarksville IN named the Commander. It has a full fuse, stunt with a ST 46. The local club also sponsors a class at the NATS every year also. One thing also, i also knew Lew McFarland who lived in Lexington. Met him through flying sailplanes at contest.