Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Scratch Build - Veco Brave

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Scratch Build - Veco Brave

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 05:26 PM
Hye Flyer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of the wrinkles came out, eventually. KlassKote yelllow epoxy paint, Rust Oleum Blue and next week, KlassKote clear gloss entire plane once self-made vinyl decals are set.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:27 PM
Hye Flyer

Old 06-22-2023, 07:53 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

YOUR LOOKING GOOD! HAVE YOU PUT IT IN THE AIR YET?

That Ford Mustang in the background got my attention also I had a lot of them at one time.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:46 PM
AJ Sun

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Ya I m out of New York Too. Been following the post (amazing!) I’ve built the Worrier, Brave, Chief still have two of the kits another company bought out Veco, and was producing several of the Veco Line. My building is just not that professional. I learned to use ammonia and water mixture to bend the Balsa. This was in 1963. And yes hard ware came with the kit. Veco put out nice flying airplanes. I also built a flying Fool, a Nobler, and my first was the ring master. I always wanted to build the Super Ringmaster and did buy the kit. From a hobby shop that was going out of business. Never built it but the future looks good. I’ve been out of the hobby of U Control. But my plans are to get crashing again. You fly you crash! Now that’s a fact!AJ
Old 10-12-2023, 04:50 AM
donnyman

AJ SUN
Hello! I have been watching HYE FLYER build his brave because I have one incomplete hanging in my shop and it is fun to converse with others.
It has been a very long time since I left N.Y. (1959) though I have visited. I grew up in the Fort Green Projects by the Brooklyn navy yard. Age has slowed modeling for me
but I have many hanging in my shop. mostly RC. This thread sparked many fond memories. I still wonder if HYE FLYERS bird has been flown.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:35 PM
AJ Sun

Hey nice hearing from you New York. I left in 1949. 4 years old. And was a military Bratt. My shop about 12 all total and like you mostly RC. Our club went electric. Still looking for a circle. Got run off the base ball diamond at the junior aHS. Took my vVeco Thunderbird. Started getting set up. Made a launch stud, ran my lines out, and was priming my engine. When a city officer showed up. You can't fly thst thing here! Yet they spend thousands on a skate board facility. That nobody uses. I know it's all political. I haven't given up tho. Love talking about U Control. And haven't flown in six months. My shop got invited by rats and mice home has Termites had to hire an exterminator. Thst has side lined me a bit. I have several kits from guys that passed away our club was known as the Buzzards. And always helped the wives out getting the stuff sold. Even got a few Brodak kits. Have you ever been to the Stancel Meuseum. In Shulenburg Texas? I bought three kits from there the intercepter its a free flight. Cool airplane. I only built one but it flew great. I am seriously anticipating building the flying fool or the super ringmaster. WhenI.get my shop built. I like scratch building and lots of balsa to.do it. I tore up my Chief at the JHS and I got most of it repaired before the rodents it. I was doing an out side figure 8 and my engine quit.on the vertical out side climb. It stalled. Lines went limp. That's my story. I think my glow plug a fox burned out. The engine staggered like it was out of fuel. But the tank still had a few ounces. Plenty to.manover. and go.level. never thought my glow plug failed until another flyer seggusted I check it.it was burned out, but could have happened in the crash. My venturi was full of dirt and mud. I fly wood props only. It completely busted both blades. I've clean and inspected the engine it runs great. 35 stunt Fox 60s maybe late 66. Any way nice hearing from you AJ.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:05 PM
donnyman

AJ

Good hearing from you but we are hijacking this thread. since you and I are of similar age you need to get on the old timers thread in the clubhouse, it's full of folks in our age bracket and reminiscing of past times is the norm. and it is international....See ya there.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:21 PM
AJ Sun

I never thought about that last time he posted was in April. I will look for that site you mentioned. AJ.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:45 PM
AJ Sun

GeeDonnie Iposted onthe OT sight, I was flying my Veco Chief did a few wing overs. Went inverted to unwind my lines did another wing over, one lap and she quits. Started back pedaling but she hit hard broke the wood prop and busted the bottom cowl. Decided to make a new bottom cowl. That’s what I did and watch college foot ball. Looked at the Veco plans on the Chief. We get hot here in Texas, so I enlarged the opening on the cowl that was distroyed. Using a 2 inch spinner. Decided totaled the Fox 35 stunt apart and clean it up glad I did. Had all the baskets and a new Venturi in my stash. Was having issues getting that 4-2-4 break running 4 all the time. That’s acceptable slower circles. Good for a 77 y O. AJ
Old 10-21-2023, 04:24 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by AJ Sun
GeeDonnie Iposted onthe OT sight, I was flying my Veco Chief did a few wing overs. Went inverted to unwind my lines did another wing over, one lap and she quits. Started back pedaling but she hit hard broke the wood prop and busted the bottom cowl. Decided to make a new bottom cowl. That’s what I did and watch college foot ball. Looked at the Veco plans on the Chief. We get hot here in Texas, so I enlarged the opening on the cowl that was distroyed. Using a 2 inch spinner. Decided totaled the Fox 35 stunt apart and clean it up glad I did. Had all the baskets and a new Venturi in my stash. Was having issues getting that 4-2-4 break running 4 all the time. That’s acceptable slower circles. Good for a 77 y O. AJ
Opening the intake for increased cooling is good as long as you have a good exhaust which should be equal or larger than the intake area.

Just where in Texas are you located? I am not familiar with Princess Anne MD
Old 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
AJ Sun

Hi Donnie I just posted and I guess the moderator killed it. In answer to your question I am in North Texas Granbury. Been wanting to fly but the city is not for it. Been chased off several places. They have huge park areas they just started a RC park but the UC circle is a joke. And I just don't care to fly around the RC guys. One place I will go is a cross the street from the Airport.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:14 AM
AJ Sun

Well we are getting the rain over 8 inches and lots of flooding. Been finishing up my Chief repair never realized I lost the tail wheel. It was one of a kind. So I had to install a different tail wheel. Might change my balance line a bit. Been posting on the club house. AJ.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:48 AM
AJ Sun

Well here I am been posting tomorrow starts the season. Cut my thumb got six stitches man it’s sore did it last Monday. Change the dressing every day. Still working on my Super Ringmaster. Wing is done will start sanding. Working up the built up fuselage. The soft Balsa is getting replaced, sure enjoying the build will not be flying for a while until I heel up my right thumb. Really lucky I did not hit the bone.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:05 PM
Hye Flyer

HI AJ and Donnyman. Please feel free to continue to hijack this thread. LOL. Love to hear about y’all’s experiences. I grew up in the 70s in central California where space to fly in a circle was abundant… now not so much. Last time my buddy and I (both in our late 50’s) flew at a city playground/park like we use do, the police showed up and kicked us out. Apparently one of the busybody homeowners had nothing better to do but spoil the fun of some old kids.

The laser cut Brave short kit has been one of my best sellers and I have always loved that plane since my dad first built one in 1970. Wish I still had that original but I crashed it so many times, with all the repairs it weighed twice what it should have. The old Fox .25 barely got it around the circle after that. The last flight was pained black with a cartoon of Grumpy holding a club… drove it straight into the ground. FYI, the fox .15 still runs strong and is currently in a scratch built enlarged version of the Guillows P-40… yes, its a giant version of that .049 Guillows kit that I did with a copy machine and hand drawn enlargement (pre computer and laser cutter) about 20 years ago.. still hanging in the garage.

I will be laser cutting the Veco Tomahawk soon as well.
Glad you took the time to participate.. Happy Thanksgiving

Pete
Old 11-19-2023, 10:06 PM
Hye Flyer

Well here I am been posting tomorrow starts the season. Cut my thumb got six stitches man it’s sore did it last Monday. Change the dressing every day. Still working on my Super Ringmaster. Wing is done will start sanding. Working up the built up fuselage. The soft Balsa is getting replaced, sure enjoying the build will not be flying for a while until I heel up my right thumb. Really lucky I did not hit the bone.
hope you heal quickly
Old 11-19-2023, 10:17 PM
Hye Flyer

Here are the finished pics of the Brave scratch Build

Since i had both the old plans and the newer plans, I took the Indian braves off each and made decals for the fin and nose.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:03 AM
donnyman

Very nice! I was wondering about the status of your bird. and I am very impressed with the decals you made Keep up the good work (fun) I hope you fuel proofed that needle valve hole.

I am still flippng over the decals.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:15 AM
AJ Sun

Hey guys nice to hear from you, ya got the stitches out yesterday, still really sore, but I will survive, I was looking at your brave nice job Hye, something was different and I finally realized what it was the fin Dorsey that connects to the vertical and runs to the rear cockpit before the head piece. I like the decals and forgot about the Indian guys with the bow and arrows. Good old McCoy red head. I am still running my Fox Stunt 35s on all my pack. Have a 40th anniversary model on my S-1 Ringmaster. My Super Ringmaster is still in the process of being built, may not fly her in the spring. But my S-1 and Veco Chief should be ready. Still trying to find a circle. Got some Toung mufflers from Stan he sure builds a nice muffler, my BySlob just got fitted with one. Need to get my electric starter and new 12 battery. Gus I will check out wall mart. Really need to build a start box field kit. I was using a deer feeder battery to run my 12 volt starter. It’s just not heavy enough. My RC field kit is to big. It’s a Sig model, nice one just to big. Looked thru some venders for a kit. They are out there but way out of my budget. Hey Donnie and Hye hope your doing well. See ya in the circleAJ.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:32 AM
Hye Flyer

AJ, you noticed. LOL. Totally forgot the headrest behind the 2nd cockpit. Figured it was ready to fly so I just ignored that minor detail. LOL. My RC box is way too big as well so now I use an orange garden tote from homedepot. It holds the 12v battery, connectors and even the starter (yet, got lazy) props, tools, and even fuel. I believe its like 14x12 or something close to that. I’ll post a pic later when I go out to the shop. I use a 12v motorcycle battery and it fits perfectly in that tote.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:39 AM
Hye Flyer

This is what I use for my C/L flight box. Bought from Home Depot 20 years ago so they might not have these anymore.

If Home Depot doesn’t carry them anymore, i did find this on amazon… should be very close

https://a.co/d/aB1UT36

Last edited by Hye Flyer; 11-26-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:11 AM
AJ Sun

Hey Hye that’s looks like what I need. You say you use a 12 volt MC battery! I went to Lowes and Home Depot to buy that unit, your right nothing their. I got plenty of Ply wood. Thin light stuff. Guess I will get the battery first and build the Flight line service box around that. Getting ready to do the Christmas stuff. Decorations. Hi Donnie how you doing? You mentioned Maryland. I am in Texas. North of you. I was in Maryland my last Army station before I started College. In Oklahoma. Stayed in the reserves and retired in 1989. 23 years and always flew my U Control. Mostly the S-1 Ringmaster. Several of use flew at the Airguard base in Oklahoma City. Gosh those were great times. Why, can’t find any guys to fly with! In U Control. Haven’t flown in 8 months now. Spoke with a land owner a block away. He has a nice fenced in area. Has classic cars small building. He lives in Dallas. But he said no. Did not realize it but there are high tension lines in that area not good flying U Control.AJ
Old 11-27-2023, 07:26 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been following your posts since you "exploded" on this site. Hardly anyone uses a motor cycle battery, or a computer stand-by jel-lite with there electric starters. A 3s or or 4Ss LiFe or LiPo battery is much simpler, and there is no cord to to contend with. Some modelers just use tie wraps to attach the battery to the starter. A better way is to make a plywood plate that you would screw to the starter, and attach the battery to the plywood. If you are right handed put the battery off set to the left side. Use a plug of your choice between the starter and the battery. I power my starter with a 4s lipo that I retired from flying. If there are swap meets near you, you could look for a suitable used battery. Ask to check it with a voltage tester, before purchase. Try to avoid "puffed" batteries, if possible, although I have slightly puffed batteries that I use for sport flying. If you chose to go this route, you will need a Smart charger. Swap meets are a good source for charges as well. Sullivan made a red battery box for NiCad's that would probably work with LiPo's.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:01 AM
AJ Sun

Default Lipo

Hi tenn thanks for your post. Sorry about the explosion. Hope it didn't hurt your ears! Ya I have been using a small l battery and in the process of building a start box..havent seen much about what your talkin about, mist of the guys are Electric and fly the beer coolers. I am kinda alone and I do attend the few swap meets thst sell RC not much U Control. I Have seen those starters with the battery pack and ive tried a few. Just not really impressed. I did fly RC quite a bit never electric. I did buy the E-15 Champ.flew it little. Had several issues. I retired it. My U Control is better now and I enjoy it alot. Building and learning I know and I've probable for got most that I've learned. My start motor is an old Sullivan unit probably 20 years old. Works great. Had it repaired once. Plenty of power for my 35 Stunt Fox. I mostly use my hand, to start dealing with an injury now. And Artheritus takes it. To a new level. My hand fits my starter really well. And that was the issue with your starter your talking about. It felt awkward in some cases new is better, but not in every case. AJ
Old 11-28-2023, 12:39 PM
AJ Sun

Hey guys how we doing? Got a call from a city manager and he was inquiring about my flying circle request. And wanted to know what I was talking about. I told him about a two hundred foot circle with a set up and staging area. To run lines inspect our planes, service them. Then position to the circle most of our wind comes out of the south west we take off in a tail wind then go to the head wind and fly. He said we need that for kids together interested in aviation and maybe attend the HIgh school tech course in aviation. I think that’s a great idea, I told him that’s how I started in the 60s Flying U Control. Our youth is the future. AJ
Old 12-02-2023, 07:21 AM
Hye Flyer

Hey Hye that’s looks like what I need. You say you use a 12 volt MC battery! I went to Lowes and Home Depot to buy that unit, your right nothing their. I got plenty of Ply wo
I found similar tote on amazon under cleaning supply tote. The MC battery has been replaced with a 12v rechargeable battery (also from amazon) I forgot i bought a two pack… one for the RC box and one for C/L box. I can use my smart charger for the gel battery’s in the old cars to keep full charge.

So today we get our tree… it’s an all day/weekend affair.. guess the shop will be lonely for the duration. I’m gonna try to sneak out from time to time and work on one of many planes started but not finished… including a Veco Tomahawk i just laser cut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.