Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Mounting K&B 19 in Plane built for K&B 35??

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Mounting K&B 19 in Plane built for K&B 35??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 02:54 PM
aaganz

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mounting K&B 19 in Plane built for K&B 35??

I built 2 CL planes (identical) in the 1950s. They are similar to the Super Ringmaster but have a 42 inch wingspan (K&B 35). I am restoring them...wing covering, glue, dope,..etc... but find the motor mounting bolts do not align for the smaller K&B 19 engine I want to use. The mounting logs are fairly saturated with old fuel and oil while sitting for the past 70 years.

I am thinking to glue/bolt new thin "engine logs" over the old logs and bolt on the K&B 19, Is this a reasonable idea, and if so, what are the "logs" made of???....cedar, mahogany,...?? weight and strength would be important.
Thanks,

aaganz
Old 03-06-2024, 12:46 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I here what your saying you don't have a K&B 35..I.would weight the plane and see what it weights. If it's in the 30oz area a 19 will probably fly it in the Circle on 50 foot lines. If it's in the high 30s a strong wind will lift it,but a tail wind would blow the plane into.the circle..the K&B is a heaver motor compared to a Fox. And to be honest I fly Fox motors. I did have a Fox 19, originally on my flying Fool. It weighted around 33oz it flew buy went slack.on the lines several times. Think I was flying 55ft lines 15/7stran I changed the motor took lots of work to aFox Stunt 35. She flew alot better. But lost it when the top wing separated AJ
Old 03-06-2024, 12:56 PM
aaganz

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AJ Sun,
Thank you, I will check the weight of the plane. I do expect to fly "leisurely", and in no wind conditions. My K&B 35 is hidden somewhere in the attic, but for "gentle flying" I thought the K&B 19 would be better.

Thinking more on the mounting, I am tempted to use small flat pieces of aluminum with holes drilled out for the old K&B 35 bolts. The flat aluminum would be bolted down over the old bolts, and then new holes drilled for the new bolts for the K&B 19. This should be strong enough, and the bolts would be better than trying to glue to oil saturated "logs".

aaganz
Old 03-06-2024, 04:21 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Aaganz yes that would work using an Aluminum insert. I personally have never tried that but, I have seen other flyers mod an engine mount in the same way. Really inspect your plane the Bell Crank is very important and gets lots pressure in the circle, I just overhauled my Magician my oldest U Control plane. It sports a Fox Stunt 35. It’s oil soaked and the wood was soft in the engine mount area and also the fuel tank. I had changed it to a 2.5 Oz tank from a 4oz tank. And replaced the ply around that area. I recovered the wings and replaced the Bel Crank Mount with a thicker ply. My wires were fine and so was the Bel crank I think it was Veco bell crank. Let us know how it goes! AJ