Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Wrinkles in SilkSpan Covering - CL Rebuild?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Wrinkles in SilkSpan Covering - CL Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 01:02 PM
aaganz

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wrinkles in SilkSpan Covering - CL Rebuild?

After water spray and tightening up, the Silkspan at one of my wing roots (next to fuselage) developed 3-4 one inch small wrinkles. All the other wing panels are fine. Is there a simple way to smooth these out, short of cutting the whole covering off and redoing the entire wing panel?

I am "re-building" the 42 inch wingspan CL model I built and flew and crashed over 50 years ago. Since the leading and training edges I am now attaching to are balsa+tissue+dope( 4 coats), I am using 1) glue stick, then 2) Silkspan layout, and 3) white glue + water (50:50) over the outer frame + Silkspan.

EzeDope + water in multiple coats is pending.

The plane is similar to a a Super Ringmaster, but somewhat larger and "thicker" in the fuselage.

Thanks for any info,
aaganz
Old 03-17-2024, 01:30 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Well in my years I’ve learned that the Nitrate Dope works the best on coating the surface prior to applying the covering. What I do is apply the Nitrate in thin coats and sand with 400 until I get a shine. Let it set for maybe 72 hours. If the surface is still shined I lay down the covering. Usually mix a little MEK with the Nitrate Dope. Tauline also works well. It softens the coating and the covering really attaches well. Let it set for a few days I’ve never used Iron on my Models I have always covered with Silk. After that dry period I apply distilled water and let it set for 24 hours. Repeat that two more times. Their might be a wrinkle or two. I apply a Nitrate Dope thinned and let dry the longer the better. Usually three coats. Usually those wrinkles disappear. Then I coat with a Butirate Dope. Still thinned when it tightens up to drum sound I used non taughting dope. Depending on the color I will use silver Dope two coats sprayed. Never brushed. Not to offend just the way I’ve learned over the yearsAJ.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:18 PM
aaganz

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AJ Sun,
Thank you for the good information! Based on what you wrote, I will do several coats of thinned EzeDope, and see if that takes care of the wrinkles. I do not need this to be a "perfect job", as the plane is sure to crash on the first flight after 50 years. On my next model, I will follow something more as you have suggested. Thanks again.
aaganz
Old 03-18-2024, 05:19 AM
AJ Sun

Ya I I've always enjoyed silk and dope my finishes arent that great either and usually It ends in a crash. Silk is getting very hard to find in Japanese k&S. I have a small stash. That I hope will last me a little while. One other think to make your finish last longer on a few of my planes I use a little olive oil mixed with the dope. After a year of sitting some of my planes I've built I have never flown. And some I fly all the time. It makes the silk last longer before it starts to split at the wing bays. My 40 year old Veco Thunderbird finally split in 3 bays this summer. Record heat for 65 days over 100.AJ
Old 03-23-2024, 09:17 AM
AJ Sun

Hey kinda wondering how those wrinkles turned out. I've just learned that Ezedope is a water base. That's not going to act like.I previously explained. It will have several different tendency than the finish I use. Also recovering a plane has a variety of issues. Oils fuels cleaners and the like are very hard to remove. Also I would never use Nitrate on a rebuild or recover. Those cleaners and residues can cause all kinds of issues. Best cleaner I've used is Alcohol on a recover usually will.remove several deposits even using Amonia but if you use Amonia let the plane sit for several days. Then use Alcohol. As a final cleaning before you apply. Never used water based applications so your on your own. Even with that pre cleaning.AJ.