Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

NOBLER

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:03 AM
walleye5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOBLER

Have yet to get started on my 1/2a's & have already started looking @ bigger sport/stunt planes. The Nobler sure looks good! Anyone here ever own/fly one? What engine did you bolt up to her?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 AM
CLpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NOBLER

Hey Bob seems like you are a regular over here. Not to steal you away but have you checked out SSW?

http://www.clstunt.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

It's a Control line only board and you would get a whole lot more replies to your questions over there.

As for the Nobler funny you should ask. I got one cheap on the SSW Swap site. Someone wanted $40 plus shipping. He used one of those shipping services and it turned a good deal bad.
Real nice plane. Went together without any problems. You do need to change the lead outs and bell crank. They used an old style crank and it has the possibilities to fail. I also used a arrow shaft push rod for stiffness.
I bolted a Double Star 40 on mines. Also used a round clunk tank from Sullivan. I am having problems getting it to run right now. Might use a reworked Fox 35 that I have.
Hope this helps.

Jay
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (02-12-2024)
Old 05-14-2006, 10:17 AM
walleye5

Jay,

Thanks for the info on the "Nobler" as well as the new site, here I go!

Later,

Bob

ORIGINAL: CLpilot

Hey Bob seems like you are a regular over here. Not to steal you away but have you checked out SSW?

http://www.clstunt.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

It's a Control line only board and you would get a whole lot more replies to your questions over there.

As for the Nobler funny you should ask. I got one cheap on the SSW Swap site. Someone wanted $40 plus shipping. He used one of those shipping services and it turned a good deal bad.
Real nice plane. Went together without any problems. You do need to change the lead outs and bell crank. They used an old style crank and it has the possibilities to fail. I also used a arrow shaft push rod for stiffness.
I bolted a Double Star 40 on mines. Also used a round clunk tank from Sullivan. I am having problems getting it to run right now. Might use a reworked Fox 35 that I have.
Hope this helps.

Jay
Old 06-29-2006, 05:32 PM
cfrizell

ORIGINAL: walleye5

Have yet to get started on my 1/2a's & have already started looking @ bigger sport/stunt planes. The Nobler sure looks good! Anyone here ever own/fly one? What engine did you bolt up to her?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes, I've owned a few. Motors have usually been Fox 35's, Merco 35 and in one instance ETA 29.

They are great planes, but build LIGHT. Weight kills performance and pleasure. These days motors are usually heavier than the old 35's so its a good idea to make the nose a bit shorter. Also we didn't use mufflers in those days!

The Thunder Tiger 42 works well, and so does the OS46LA.

But have you thought of building a Bob Palmer Thunderbird? If you keep it light that is an amazing plane to fly and I prefer it to the Nobler.

I hear the Top Flite ARF Nobler is a good plane. Depends on how much work you want to do I guess?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Nobler is a very good airplane. Is is amazing to think it was designed to fly the much less demanding Old Time Stunt pattern of 51-52. I have judged a fair number of TopFlite ARF Noblers and they can be made to fly very well. There are a ton of posts on how to modify them to make them better. I have never built a Nobler, but I had the pleasure of watching George Aldrich both build one from scratch and fly it. In fact it was the first stunt pattern I had ever seen flown, and I though no way can I learn to do that. Well, now I can at a middling Advanced level. So do not despair
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (02-12-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 04:08 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Very old post but I’ve been looking to build a Nobler. I reciently bought a original green box from a local guy his wife after sixty years had to,say good by this Nobler still had the white tape sealing the box. I decided not to build it, but keep it and build the Brodak version I did buy the top flight ARF but was not impressed tho many ARF builders say it was a great plane dispite the several short comings that appeared in Manufacturing. I bought it at a closing hobby shop several years ago. But building the Brodak version and flying it would be great. AJ
Old 02-26-2024, 01:52 PM
AJ Sun

I was surprised to hear that Brodak canceled all the ARF line. But still are making kits. I guess the ARFs are mostly made overseas and the Quality and attention to detail is just not their. Or to Brodak standards. I’ve always been very satisfied when dealing with Brodak. AJ
Old 03-31-2024, 12:10 PM
AJ Sun

Well another U Control flyier visited yesterday and I sold him the ARF Top Flight Nobler made him a great deal. And was glad I unloaded it. I would have never built it, so Eddie good luck buddy.I really prefer kits not ARFs so I am glad I think Eddie will do a great job in building it. He has a nice fleet on U Control Aircraft. AJ