Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Skyloft SUX

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 07:28 PM
DoubleUgly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyloft SUX

OK sports fans I have been on the take when it come to this board sense I came on the scene now its time for me to give a little back. Now this maybe old news to some of you guys out there but for the folks that did not know this I hope it saves you some pain and heartache.

Dave Browns Skyloft is a terrible covering. It is a strong nylon covering yes but it finishes like arse! I doped it 4 times with the usual lite sanding in between, the paper work says 2-3 coats will fill it. What it fails to tell you is that it will not hold paint in certain areas, really its like it has see through holes in it and the paint will not stick to it thus giving you a paint job that looks like some type of cheeze. Also the nylon partern in it shows through the finish where the paint does stick and it looks like you have painted over a tape worms it is not very sightly at all.

It for all intensive purposes ruined my lightning streak Jr. that I just built as the finish is absolutely awful. Steer Clear of Skyloft there is a reason why it is only $4.29 for 3 square yards!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:35 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Skyloft SUX

It's been around for a long time. I agree, it's not something to use as a covering. One way you might be able to use it is if you dope lightweight Japanese tissue over it. You can also do this with nylon chiffon.

Incidentally, have you tried silk from Thai Silks yet?

http://www.thaisilks.com
Old 11-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which silk from Taisilks do you buy? Someone recommended one and I bought a couple of yards but IMO it was way too heavy! Must have been a giant scale modeler recommending it. I expect silk to be translucent, this was a solid white silk that you couldn't see through.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:31 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

I've bought some but I haven't seen it yet. The usual advice is to get the 5mm Habotai.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 mm is way to much, I bought that and it is not translucent. Maybe one of the chiffon's.