Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Why is CL losing popularity?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Why is CL losing popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why is CL losing popularity?

Actually, there seem to be about as many guys flying C/L around here as there were in the 60s when the "hobby park" opened up in town. What is missing is that there used to be contests all over the country, and they're now just a few.

And the C/L people don't do fun flies like the RC guys do. So they're a very easily overlooked bunch.

Back when PAMPA started, a good contest wouldn't draw 10-20 stunt flyers. PAMPA now publishes an excellent, and large bi-monthly magazine and reports on contests with almost that many classes. chuckle....
Old 01-14-2007, 01:50 AM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I did write on this thread about one year ago. I belong to an RC Club and enjoy flying RC. But in all honesty I find it much more enjoyable flying Control line. With RC it’s a matter of learning to be easy on the controls just like it is with C/L The biggest differences are with C/L when you are headed at the ground at 60 mph and less than 8’ away you must react a lot sooner.

When Flying RC I am very cautious as I get close to landing, and when I’m less than 8’ off the ground I just don’t like to show off. But with my C/L planes I enjoy flirting with sudden destruction. It probably has a lot to do with the fact I can build a good Coroplast C/L in a few hours, or a profile balsa in about 1 day for less than $10.00. And I never worry about it getting away or the damage it could cause. And the thrill of a good 40’' = 55’' plane pulling at 10 pounds or more is a thrill RC can’t give me.

It doesn’t bother me that so few people are flying C/L to the degree I can go into my own back yard and fly by myself. I wish there were more C/L clubs and fliers. But I feel the way to change that is to fly more often where others can see you, and talk to you about flying.

Some of the biggest problems I see facing C/L is that it has been banded from so many places, and there are so few clubs. One other big draw back that I find is there are no flight simulators, or buddy boxes for C/L.

It is my hope that we who enjoy C/L flying make sure that we don’t let this sport die.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:24 AM
rjbranchii

As a mater of fact, there are buddy boxes for control line. I have used them to teach with and they work very well. Big Art Addamissin used to use them to let anyone fly who was at a circle. Of course its not a buddy box, its a buddy handle. To build one just take a second handle and make it with longer leads coming out of the handle, about 2 feet works well. Clip it to the handle attached to the plane at the clips that connect the primary handle to the lines. The instructor simply stands to the side of the student and gives any inputs needed. Works very well.

A nice second step is for the instructor to come and stand behind the flier as he flies after he can solo. This is how I learned the stunt pattern. In fact in competition it is allowed in beginner stunt and if I remember right in intermedite to have the coach in the center of the circle to tell the competitor the next maneuver. I've watched kids 5 years old learn to lfy on the buddy handle.

Bob Branch
Old 01-14-2007, 11:39 AM
jerichod
My Feedback: (4)

One other big draw back that I find is there are no flight simulators, or buddy boxes for C/L.
Sure there is a buddy box! and it works great! see the attached photos. One photo with the box unassembled, and one assembled and ready to go :}
The wooden handle actually says "Control Line Buddy Box". Idea certainly not original with me, but basically:

a) setup the handle as shown. I go out and start the plane flying using the yellow handle, while guest stays in the pilot circle or safely on the sidelines.
b) i move my hand out to the wooden (inner handle) to fly. can do this just with fingers, or two handed.
c) i take the plane up high and have them scamper into the circle, and stand off my left shoulder (or stand up if they are in the circle) and face the plane.
d) I put my hand on their shoulder and we start rotating. generally they pivot in place and i run around them flying.
e) in a few laps you can tell if they are going to go wobbly or stand up ok. if they wobble and fall, you just fly, all is ok.
f) if they are doing ok, they reach up and take the yellow handle with their right hand. they can get in the safety thong if you want them to, but generally i don't have them do that
g) i give them more and more tension on the controls as they get a feel for it. i can coach them thru manuvers, as i drive on the inner handle, they follow behind on the outer handle.
h) if they are doing ok still, i can even drop down and let them fly, and jump up and get the handle if i need to.

i have trained several people to fly, from kids as young as 6 (my back aches from reaching down so much) to guys as big as 6'4" and >250lbs (i run alot, takes alot of steps to go around a dude that big) but i can say that crashes are pretty rare.

if folks think this is an interesting topic, let me know and i will document it a bit better, including safety tips and take a video of it.

r.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92573.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	597630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83976.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	597631  
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM
retnavycdr
My Feedback: (190)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a sad fact that as we get older, our vision, reflexes, fine muscle control, (and other things) start to go !!! In my case, a minor stroke speeded up the decline of all these things. I was and am a 50 year plus veteran of the model airplane and boat hobby, starting with u-control Sterling Ringmasters, Veco Tomahawks, in the early 1950's in Chicago. I flew in many places like parks, school yards, etc. that rapidly disappeared as things build up. One of the flying fields became O'Hare Airport !!! Anyway, I graduated through rubber band escapements, "Galloping Ghost" rudder-only RC, Kraft "Full house"" and now Spektrum -7 computer systems. But I also have returned full circle (no pun intended) to Contnrol Line for many reasons: 1) I have twenty acres of my own to fly on without worrying about complaints - both RC and U-control 2) it is a lot more relaxing not having to worry about losing the plane and crashing 3) It is a LOT less expensive 4) I get a crazy, euphoric feeling of nostalgia while going in circles 5) Much less can go wrong with a contnrol line plane, less complicated systems.

I don't think any one type of flying is any better than other. Diversity is the spice of life!!! BTW: My latest system all was available at my computer via Tower Hobby: A Nobler ARF, an OS Engine, and control lines and handle from Brodek.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39212.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	777417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61100.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	777418  
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Roger,

I've looked into this thread before over the 3+ years it's been up. Many good comments, some less so.

Two or more things I think we overlook, because they are so much a part of flying CL we no longer see them as outstanding benefits:

You meet great people flying CL. NOT precluding other model disciplines from that opportunity, but in CL, YOU have to be a good enough person that your buddies will trust you to launch their models, and THEY have to be good enough friends for you to trust to launch yours. (Unless your arms are 60'+ long, and then you don't need the lines...)

Also, CL is essentially for the FLIER, not the spectator. It is physical. It revolves around the flier completely. And the flier is close enough that 'he' can enjoy it thoroughly. No one else is as perfectly positioned for all that. And the flier stands on the ground, which is never very far from the model, either. That adds a sense of thrill, danger to be avoided, and good fuzzies for doing it the way you want to.

Because we must rely on friends who rely on us, we are a welcoming family for new flying buddies of all ages. The major task is to introduce new people to the world of CL. We don't generally buy a toy ready to play with. Some of us older. old-fashioned types don't think very highly of ARFs, but I doubt that ANYONE can argue against the idea that it still takes enough time and effort to put one together that there is a real feeling of putting ourselves into it. Some old-f**ts were complaining that the die-cut (die-crushed?) parts in kits of the 1950's were the end of the world. Nothing new under the sun, eh?

Sure, there are great modelers in all parts of model flight; guys who have decades at it. But, most we meet at local RC fields are just passing through, rarely sticking with it more than a few years. In CL, we make more effort, have more supportive pals, and because we are not the headliners in the mags, the cover photos, the 5-color 10-page ads types, we have to stick together better, to make sure we CAN still do what we enjoy best. Good sales points, but it seems we have to make personal sales pitches...

Bien Hoa, Jan68
Old 01-14-2024, 04:38 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Really old post I’ve really enjoyed reading it. And it’s now 2024, I am old And yes I fly U Control. And yes that’s how I started, late 50s and went into RC like every body else. The Electric phase killed it for me, and a lot Of dishonesty. From a guy in Grandjunction Colorado. I’ve stored all my RC and reclaimed my UC and I am a lot happier. Now you see U Control flyers with a radio controlling lots of stuff, but still in the Circle. And yes we have Electric U Control. But I’ve even been asked about Nitro, that’s what I Fly, there is a lot to U Control it’s just going in a circles any more. There is a lot to it. ARFs are expensive. I chose to build from old kits or scratch. Just something about that handle in your had and feeling that Aircraft that you built. You crash but that’s just part of it. A big part to me because I spend more time building and repairing than I do Flying. And that’s the part I really enjoy.AJ
The following users liked this post:
HangarRash (01-14-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 06:33 AM
AJ Sun

Too all you circle guys I have read alot about getting dizzy. Try this every day I do flying turns about a 6 second turn started at 5 turns and graduated up to thirty. And still do twenty a day, takes a 5 minutes. I converted all my U Control planes to 2.5 ounce tanks and run Fox Stunt 35s.that gives me about a 3 to 4 minute flight. I know set up takes longer. About one hour total to set up and take down. I use a stuge. At 77 I see my limitations. But if you get dizzy try this daily excersize. It might help. AJ
Old 01-21-2024, 07:17 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I like my first flight in a while. 4 or 5 minutes flights, don't mean a thing to me, well unless I go inverted for a bit but even then it's just a quick "Whoa Nelley" and then were back to stable. But that first flight, I land regardless of what I was doing and I'm great, till I lean over to put the handle down and stand back up. Then I can't walk a straight line for NOTHING. The next flight and we're back in shape. You were 17 when I was born so, I have noticed it getting worse the older I get. best bet is to keep flying I guess. Oh, and I got dehydrated about 10 years ago and I had at least one of those crystals that are on the hairs in your inner ear you use to balance came loose. Man, 1st 6 months it was kinda iffy for me to lay down. The bed would start spinning so hard I'd fly off. They give you these exercises to take care of it but what it really does I think is teach you how to ignore the messed up ear and do your balance from the other one. It still gets me from time to time, I'll turn a corner and wow I'm drunk for a second or two.
And it is flying for the pilot alone. However, if you've ever been up with another person. Not necesarily racing or combat but just flying around with another. Well that's flying together like my RC guys don't quite understand. My biggest group fly was 26 people. We had a big orbit around the center for a demonstration group fly. That was nuts and fun.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:33 PM
AJ Sun

Hi Clean! Enjoyed your post. I don’t think I have that yet. But I do recall having it when I had Intestinal Malaria. It was crazy,but after I got out of the hospital. That was in 1990. I lived in Justin Texas. My Neighbor flew 049 and .015 Fox. And I would help pit for him when I was home. Flew a lot as a Flight Engineer. And had my RC in my Airporter Based In LA. I remember Tucson Arizona. They had a nice circle. And one of the guys let me have a turn. Got dizzy that day and I was lucky that he took over when I motioned to him. Been trying to get a circle in our town. Still no luck with that.AJ

Ya I forgot to mentioned that handle lay down thing. I will just drop it, and not bend over. You right that inner ear go around and bend over it is an issue with me. Where I fly is on a sod runway. I live on an airport in my Hanger, and own to the center line of the runway Far South end of the field. But close to power lines that carry 440 volts. But about 600 feet. From them. It’s an easement so I can legally fly. After sundown only in a south wind. Max is a three minutes to,a four minute flight. AJ

Last edited by AJ Sun; 01-22-2024 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Control handle
Clean (01-22-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:39 PM
AJ Sun

Man I can’t just stop reading these posts about is UC gone? I can relate to several issues and feel the same. As far as RC is concerned I was never really that good at it and with the surroundings not really impressed with the people that ran the RC club. That’s why I quit, and decided to reinvent my past. Funny thing It was a very good move. And as of now I have never regretted it. Some guys don’t understand and that’s fine with me. Long live that circle, if I would have to explain,I don’t think they would understand. AJ
Old 02-02-2024, 02:39 PM
jcralley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fly Ringmasters this October!

There is a lot of control line activity reported in "Facebook Groups"!! I know, I know that a lot of people don't do Facebook but you can join Facebook Groups with just a blank Profile and lurk (view without contributing) or only comment not post.
Anyway, there is an event for Control Line that all of you should participate in! It is the "Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon.!"

What you do is fly a Ringmaster during the 1st Weekend of October. You can fly anywhere! There are no fees or prizes ... Just the satisfaction of participating in the biggest Control Line Fun-Fly in the world. Hundreds of pilots will be flying Ringmasters and thousands of flights will be put up! The data are collected on the website and a final tally is published when it has all been collected!

I have a website that covers the event: www.ringmasterflyathon.com
I also have a Facebook Group: "Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon"
See the 2023 Fly-A-Thon Final Tally at the website! Pilots put up anywhere form 1 to hundreds of flights!
It is all about promoting and enjoying our hobby of Control Line Flying.

Visit the website and see what you have been missing!

AJ Sun (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 06:39 PM
Clean

Some of us even fly Ringmasters at other times...

But, made the Flyathon as well. Not 52 flights like last year though.

Last edited by Clean; 02-02-2024 at 06:48 PM.
jcralley (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 06:31 AM
AJ Sun

Hey Clean nite flight! That’s great. I did that once at a lighted ball park the lights blinded you and I crashed! That Ringmaster fun fly sounds great. Should have my Super Ringmaster done. It’s built just not covered yet, real high humidity, not good using dope have to use retarder to keep it from milking. I’ve learned about seventy degrees with about Forty humidity percent is about right. AJ
Old 02-03-2024, 10:37 AM
Clean

Originally Posted by AJ Sun
Hey Clean nite flight! That’s great. I did that once at a lighted ball park the lights blinded you and I crashed! That Ringmaster fun fly sounds great. Should have my Super Ringmaster done. It’s built just not covered yet, real high humidity, not good using dope have to use retarder to keep it from milking. I’ve learned about seventy degrees with about Forty humidity percent is about right. AJ
I'll be right over. I fit the bill AND I know nothing about milking. I need to put new covering on my Ringmasters wing OR build a new one. But now that I've got my arm back, have a few house/chicken/barn projects to do before I do much more. It'd help if all that stuff wasn't on my building bench. I'd still like to run electricity to my wall but I have to drop the garage door opener because the plug in is RIGHT over the motor head. I could just take the opener out but I am LZ and use the door occasionally to haul planes out or bring water softner salt in.

Springs coming and daytime is burning. 1st weekend of october. Dont' care if you have to slap an 049 one together(but I'd do at least a 15 size) but have something to play with. Join The Brotherhood of the Ring that should be on that announcement. We fly other airplanes too but we've all flown Ringmasters.
jcralley (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 01:40 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

"Really high humidity, not good using dope. Have to use retarder to keep it from milking." Also referred to as "blushing". In a high humidity situation, the dope dries so fast that water gets trapped in the paint. One way to combat the problem is to use a "low grade" thinner which makes the dope take longer to dry.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:07 AM
AJ Sun

Hey J Cralley and Greg, ya the retarder controls it pretty well, I use the thinning in nitrate Dope. And use the nitrate to prep the Balsa. Thin coats and control that blushing. And light sanding with 220 wet or dry. I started using that Balsa fill and really like it. It’s called Balsa right! I plan on the Ring FlyOthon in October 2024. Kinda looks like I will be Stuging it right now. Thanks for the post guys really enjoy the reading.AJ
Clean (02-10-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:08 AM
AJ Sun

Default Cl flights

Well I've read this topic about loosing popularity. Most of us are Senior members that posted on this popularity issue. But a very few young flyers are on line. Plan to.fly in my back yard for the October bash. Ki da looking forward to it. Might have a few other pilots participating. We will have to see as we get closer to that time. I hope the Brotherhood of the ring continues. I think it's a great Idea.AJ
S
Old 03-06-2024, 10:52 AM
gbrady
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have invited the CL club here in Denver to come out to our R/C field (Mile Hi R/C club) We have lots of room for a CL runway and would to have them join us sometime
Old 03-06-2024, 10:55 AM
gbrady

I went and visited a CL club here in Denver and it brought back many wonderful memories. However, at my age just looking at the guys flying made me dizzy. I don't think I'd last 3 laps before I hit the ground and landed
Old 03-06-2024, 11:00 AM
gbrady

Way back in the middle 50's I got my 1st control line plane. It was a firebaby with a Cox .049 with the spring starter. Man, what a trip that was. I hated shoveling snow here in Denver but it got me my 1st plane. Still flying R/C at 78 and loving every moment Can't fly CL cause I'd fall down Oh well I'm just glad I'm still standing
Old 03-06-2024, 12:34 PM
AJ Sun

HiGBrady. Well To be honest with you RC and UC just don't mix. Sorry to say that but the proof is in the Pudding. The local RC Club in my area tells the city we have a UC circle. They don't. Hand launch only agsinst trees bugs flyies nats its a joke. I fly on my properity its on an Airport. Glad your still flying thats great. If you fly that circle keep your lines tight! AJ
Old 03-06-2024, 02:53 PM
gbrady

Well, if they get run off of their field, we're there to help them. Noise is becoming a problem for them and we're a ways out of town to keep them going. We'd be more than happy to set something up that would be good for them. Just a helping hand from our club. I could probably keep my lines tight for about 3 rounds and then I'd be on the ground. ()
Old 03-12-2024, 12:32 PM
AJ Sun

Well Age just caught up with me. Thought I had Covid went to the Doctors office and wound up in the Emergency room with A Fib on the verge of a heart attack, great bunch of people and Peggy you were the greatest. She was my EM Nurse and what a gal. A few Drugs and my Heart was back on Line. Then a weekend stay in the hospital, Home now and grateful. Still weak as a kitten but getting better. That AFib is nothing to mess with. Several more tests on the schedule, just to see just what might have brought this on. Possibly Sleep apthia is one expected sign. I can only hope I get better.AJ
Clean (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 05:14 PM
Clean

It'll sneak up on ya. Radio guy I listen to just got done with a quadruple bypass. They actually had a little pump they've been working on, run up by his heart. Just sat there and whirred away. Said the doctor was excited to try it out on him because usually they only get 80 year olds in that they HAVE to use it on. He announced it like he should be proud, then admitted he really needs to get back into the gym which he stopped doing about 3 years ago when he started the move from New York to South Carolina. His sister, they discussed moving back then and she was in SC in two weeks. He has his own media station and the transfer wasn't quite as quick. Bought land quick enough. Signed contracts to build the house quick enough. Then covid was doing it's thing of 2 years to get window. Shortages here and then the builder ran off with the money and an Un spec house. Meanwhile, he was living in an apartment with his cat while his significant other was living in an apartment down there trying to get things ready. Lack of exercise, too much drinking and garbage food and, stress?
Anyways, I'm glad he's back on the mend. Hopefully they'll find a path to get you back to tiptop.
Keep us informed. Follow the Doctors orders.