Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Top Flight ARF Flight Streak

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Top Flight ARF Flight Streak

Old 07-19-2004, 06:23 AM
$modelman$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight ARF Flight Streak

I'm a beginner and learned how to fly with a Sig all balsa shoestring with an old r/c Enya .09 on it. (three loops under my belt. I have just finished my second choice, Flightstreak. I bought and installed an OS 40 LA engine. When I got to the field I noticed another Flight Streak only with an OS 25 LA. The guys are saying the 40 is to much. It is very nose heavy. Anybody have any sugestions on whether I should use this engine and what size prop etc.
Thanks for the help,
Bart
Old 07-19-2004, 01:37 PM
catdaddy2

Default RE: Top Flight ARF Flight Streak

Your 40LA is WAY to much motor for this plane. If you don't have an FP20 then get yourself an LA25 with a 9-4 prop and you'll be much better off than trying to fly a F.S. with an LA40.

regards
catdaddy
Old 07-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

The LA 40 is wayyy to much for the flite streak arf. You should get the Noble for that motor. A 20, or LA 25 would work well. I have a .25 in mine and its works great. With the lighter motor it would balance out better, but I still had to add some tail weight to mine.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:34 PM
slammin_sam

Wait a month or so and put the 40 on one of the new Brodak ARF's. They will be available in a month or so.

www.brodak.com
Old 07-20-2004, 06:24 AM
$modelman$

Thanks, I just ordered a new OS 25 LA. I will take the 40 LA and install it in the Sig Banshee I'm building.

Bart
Old 07-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm. Depends. The Flight Streak was originally meant to be flown with a combat .35 engine that is more powerfull than your LA .40. It is supposed to be nose heavy with such an engine with lots of elevator through. Just don't expect it to be a slow stunter! Should be a blast to fly with an LA .40!

My first Flight Streak had a Testors black head .35 with out a muffler. Flight Streak was a proper name for this combo!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The original Top Flite Flite Streak was intended to be a C/L Combat "trainer". .35-.40 size combat engines were used on these birds. For performance more like a stunter, then you use a .25 or so. The current Top Flite Flite Streak ARF model is listed for .25-.40 size engines. Your engine selection should be determined by what you want the model to do.

An O.S. Max .40 LA is not "too much" engine for the airframe. Just realize that the model will be quite fast.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:49 PM
$modelman$

Thanks for the info, At this time I would like a slow stunt plane. I think the 25 will be fine. Once I get more comfortable with the speed I'll change back to the 40.

Bart
Old 07-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At your level of experience some nose heavy is good. I'd start out with the CG at about 1 - 1 1/4 inch behind the leading edge, and move the CG back as needed as I gained experience with the airplane. My thinking is that you can always add weight to the tail of a nose heavy airplane, but you may not be able to repair a tail heavy airplane.

Jim
Old 07-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought the CG should be just behind the front leading edge? About 1/2" to 3/4" from the leading edge?

Also the Flight Streak was never a trainer. It was meant for the original slow combat.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Jim Thomerson

George's original plans for the Flitestreak show the CG at the rear of the leading edge wood. I meant 1-1 1/4 back from the front of the airfoil. There is a range of opinion as to where the CG should be. The Topflite kit showed the CG on the top spar. The early instructions for the ARF had it even further back; disaster for an inexperienced pilot.

Jim
Old 07-24-2004, 08:43 PM
$modelman$

The ARF I have shows the CG 3 1/2" back rom the leading edge. I will start with the CG at 2" back from the LE.
Bart
Old 07-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Jim Thomerson

Ok, Lotsa Luck!

Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 07:43 AM
$modelman$

Well I flew the Flight streak yesturday and I have very mixed feelings about it. The old Timers took it up for me and handed over the lines in flight. It was great flying, I even did a few loops. BUT..... When the fuel ran out and I began to glide it in, the Nose dropped a bit faster than I wanted. The grass caught the front wheel and the plane came to an immediate stop This minor rough landing snapped the nose at the leading edge of the wing. This "Profile" ARF is HOLLOW, and the "balsa that is used for the fill is crappy. I plan to repair it by filling the space at the break and adding a 1/2" solid balsa cheek on the line side. I think I'll stick to kits for the future.

Bart
Old 07-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

On the landing part, it may sound like you stalled the plane. Keep up your airspeed until your ready to set it down, and then slow it up a little bit. Another thing check to make sure your wheel moves smoothly. I didn't use the stock wheel on mine, it flexed down to much. Yes the fuse on the ARF streak is hollow. I had problems with mine at first. I used a starter on it and it broke the front off where the wing is. I braced it up with some more wood, and some of the Brodak Hinge material with CA. It makes it very, very stiff. I ran it back to the wing. Now its really stiff and dont have to worry about it breaking. Its as strong as a solid fuselage.
Ryan
Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Lee MRC

Modelmans, my younger brother had a flight streak with first a McCoy and then a Johnson stunt .35 back when we were kids (about 50 years ago). It flew like a bat out of @#$% but he won MANY combat contests over in Garland Texas well before the age of 13 and made a lot of "older" guys real mad. I could only get about 6 loops in the same direction out of my "Ringmaster and McCoy .35" before having to reverse direction to unwind the lines to allow control but he could go on all day it seemed like and we had the same offset on the engine and rudder.

If you have an R/C version of the .40 just start out with less than full throtel or de-tune a C/L needle valve a little to learn the plane and then step up and see what a real C/L plane will do. I envy you.

Please excuse the spelling but I am from TEXAS

fly the airplane first

73 Lee K5MRC
Old 07-27-2004, 12:11 PM
$modelman$

The Flight Streak flew great with the OS 25 LA at a very rich tune. I actually did a few loops. Now that I fixed the broken nose I will lean it out a bit for some speed.
bart
Old 07-27-2004, 12:15 PM
$modelman$

I removed the broken nose back to the wing spar. I replaced it with one made from solid beach. Suprisingly very little added weight. I drilled 2 dowel holes in the beach, epoxied 1/4" dowels and sent the dowels into the hollow profile back to the middle of the wing with epoxy. NOW the nose is solid and should hold to many rough landings. I also made a longer landing gear wire for the tall grass. I will fly again this comming Sunday weather permitting.

bart