Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Old CL plane-looking for plans

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Old CL plane-looking for plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Rob2359

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old CL plane-looking for plans

I have found an old CL air plane called , I believe named the Fierce Arrow. It is a flying wing. It is in good shape. I asked about the plans, I was told if I could finds a copy of the 1958 model magazine that was around back then, it was the featured planes that month for Feb he thougt. Not Model Aviation, there was an other back then.

This is a pretty cool looking air plane & I think I would like to try it in an RC version. Need planes or I have to carefully take this apart, piece by piece. That old Amboroid orange glue sure holds up well. I would love any help or pointing in the right direction. I know there is some conversion from CL to RC, but this is something that would turn heads at the field.

Thanks, rob

e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Old CL plane-looking for plans

im not sure.. BUT i think i have that kit in storage ill see about getting the plans if its that specific one.. i DO i know for fact have plans for a few other ukie flying wings if you would like them as well.. lemme know [email protected]
Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plans are available from several sources. Some off the top of my head are Tom Dixon or from Leonard at the Stuka stunt Works.
Or if you don't want to destroy that old classic, and believe me you will trying to convert it. You can get a new lazer cut kit from RSM models for $129.00 that will knock your socks off. It's lazer cut and made from really nice contest balsa. Mine arrived yesterday.
I think that you will find that it will not be an easy plane to convert without some serious redesign, so for that matter I'd recommend the new kit, it's easier to design into a build then to retrofit. Frankly if you do convert it and get it flying post a picture of it we would like to see how it came out.
Dennis

To the best of my knowledge The RSM kit is the first time that the F.A. has been kitted. Oh and if you go to the RSM site then look at a plane called the Humbug and see if that won't impress the RC flyers. Bill Netzband the designer of both of these planes sure knows how do make truly interesting aircraft.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:10 PM
bobsrc

I was just reading the original article last night and had the same thoughts. However, the wing is not symetrical between the right and left sides, the left side having more taper and less area. It would be a neat project but you have to watch for things like this when considering converting any UC to RC.
Cheers, bobsrc
Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine in St. Louis built an RC Fierce Arrow. It was impressive to watch fly; very fast and maneuverable.. I only saw it at a distance.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Rob2359

Turbo, thanks, I may want to take you up on that.

Dennis, Thanks, that is the airplane. What are the odds that I would ask this question & in no time, poof, there it is for sale as a kit???

The site is http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm go under control lines, & then new kits.

bobsrc . As for doing the conversion, I was thinking about taking the good/correct wing and basicly copying it and build it opposite, I think that is a starting point. I'm sure I will have many other adjustments plus adding alierons, working rudder, etc.

Jim or anyone know of a kit already done up for R/C, this is a really sweet bird. Thanks rob
Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobsrc
I was just reading the original article last night and had the same thoughts. However, the wing is not symetrical between the right and left sides, the left side having more taper and less area. It would be a neat project but you have to watch for things like this when considering converting any UC to RC.
Cheers, bobsrc
Bob, are you sure that was not a prototype or something? I am looking at the plan and isometric drawing on page 44 in Tom Morris's "Classic Era Construction Drawings" and it makes no mention of the right wing being different than the left one shown on the plans. Might it have been due to using stacked ribs with the smaller set on the left wing?

The plans were published in MAN August 1957.

George
Old 12-25-2006, 09:21 PM
build light

George, typically a great deal of C/L planes are designed to have an inboard wing panel with an extra rib bay'a worth of extra span to help with the weight of the lines.

I would be interested in a scan of the article and plan for this plane!

Robert
Old 12-26-2006, 11:45 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: build light
George, typically a great deal of C/L planes are designed to have an inboard wing panel with an extra rib bay'a worth of extra span to help with the weight of the lines.
True, but for those planes either both wings are shown on the plans or one wing is shown with an additional outline for the other wing. The Fierce Arrow has neither of these. Additionally, the plans show only one set of wing ribs and there is also no optional spacing shown that would account for differential taper.

The plan I am referencing is a reduced size version in Tom Morris's "Classic Era Construction Drawings". Perhaps the full-size plan is different. It was published in MAN in August 1957. You can always contact Bill Netzeband through PAMPA and ask him.

Somewhere I have the Fierce Arrow 400 plan in full size, but not the original.

George
Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 AM
build light

Well either way, as long as you make the R/C version with both left and right panels the same span you won't go wrong! Heh!

Robert
Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Rob2359

This is good stuff. Thanks.

I spoke with my father & he said one other thing to watch on the Arrow was that since it does not have a rudder, per say, that his recollection was the whole tail was designed to be built slightly off set. Does that show on the plans? I had a few folks offer to send me copies of the plans to review. I did not recieve any as of yet. I would love a scan, a series of really good pic's, anything I could really look at. I did send an e-mail to the the folks that are selling the new contol line plane & they never responded.

I am very interested in these plans. Does anyone have this and willing to scan a clear copy for me? (MAN in August 1957.) (gcb) you said"You can always contact Bill Netzeband through PAMPA and ask him". Sorry, I do not know how or where to contact this person, direct me and I will try.

Input from you guys is great, please keep it coming.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 AM
gcb

I'll try to scan it. The drawing in my book has very light lines.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63991.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	584274  
Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 AM
gcb

The tail is formed by the fuselage formers. I don't think any rudder offset was used in the original but someone could have modified it that way.

BTW, Bill Netzeband created a smaller version (.15ci) called the Fierce Arrow 400 (wing area). It was published in MAN May 1968. I think he later created a larger version but I'm not positive.

For making an RC version, I would forget rudder and use ailerons and elevator for control. As you said, it should turn some heads at the field.

Good luck with the project. You might try a search on the name and find a plans source if they are not available from MAN, AMA, or one of the sources mentioned above.

George
Old 01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
mcledan

I have a plan for the Fierce Arrow 400. I took a pic of it and will try to attach it.
I can send the full res pic if you want. I can also send you the plan if you want it.
The message keeps getting dumped and not sent with the pic.
If you want to see it send me a PM etc.
Sorry.

Dan
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Rob2359

yes I would love several pictures of this. One covering the whole thing & several close ups & when I blow up & print I might have near full size plans. Thanks, is great. Send to [email protected] I was sent plans by one other other guys, I can't blow them up enough to see the small print with out it disorting. I just thought it was nice of him to try. Another guy thought he had then & was going to sent untill he found they where stored someplace that water got to & destroyed them. Anything would be great. I guess I should just break down & buy the new contol lint kit from the one company that is selling it new. Thanks again, rob

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm
Fierce Arrow
Price: $ 129.95
Part # FARROW
More info - Buy me
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rob2359

yes I would love several pictures of this. One covering the whole thing & several close ups & when I blow up & print I might have near full size plans. Thanks, is great. Send to [email protected] I was sent plans by one other other guys, I can't blow them up enough to see the small print with out it disorting. I just thought it was nice of him to try. Another guy thought he had then & was going to sent untill he found they where stored someplace that water got to & destroyed them. Anything would be great. I guess I should just break down & buy the new contol lint kit from the one company that is selling it new. Thanks again, rob

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm
Fierce Arrow
Price: $ 129.95
Part # FARROW
More info - Buy me
You also might want to check Flying Models Magazine. About 2 years ago they published a 1/2A Fierce arrow that was a 1/2size of the origional. While it isn't the correct size for you it will be an invaluable pictorial of the assembly of the model which parrallels the full sized version. Do a Google for the magazine and look for the plans. You can request a copy of the magazine if still available or a copy of the article if sold out.
Dennis
Old 01-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Rob2359

Thanks Dennis
Old 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
fox4evr

Here is a link that has the plans for both 1/2 A and the full size FA. http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm
Lee TGD
Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
fox4evr

Should have added, its on page 1 of the stunt plans. I have a set of the full and they are good plans.
Lee TGD
Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 PM
build light

There is a thread here about the 1/2A Fierce Arrow.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=3690.0

Robert