Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Vintage FAI combat construction - Mike Davis's Dominator

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Vintage FAI combat construction - Mike Davis's Dominator

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage FAI combat construction - Mike Davis's Dominator

The Dominator was one of the first "flying wing" FAI combat rigs back when diesels were the rule in Europe and planes were designed to be very durable and survive being pounded in. The Dominator's LE is a pretty solid affair made from 4 laminated pieces of 1/4" balsa, the TE is also 1/4".

The motor mounts haven't been fitted yet. I just got done manufacturing a custom made uniflow tank for it (passed pressure testing on the first shot!). The Dominator wing tapers down fairly quick and this tank needed to taper about 1/4" from front to back to fit within the center section space available.

I hacked out the LE to recess the engine some as this one will be fitted with a Max .15LA with muffler. I'm hoping all the CG stuff works out about right. The rear of the LE on the top and bottom were scabbed with little 1/4" strips of 1/32 ply to make up for all the wood that got hogged out to recess the engine. The top/bottom ply strips seem to have restored the LE stiffness to about what it was prior to all the gouging out.

The first pic is a Dominator in the rough before any carving went on. The next two have the LE, TE, and tips carved, show tank placement, and the cloth hinged elevator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dominator1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	2239614

Name:	dominator2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	2239615

Name:	dominator3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	2239616
Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 AM
greggles47

Default RE: Vintage FAI combat construction - Mike Davis's Dominator

Hi Cutaway,

I had a Dominator with a Tigre X15, I wasn't very impressed with it. But to be fair, it did have a major warp.

On the FAI style construction, I've just finished building this Peacemaker. Just have the tank to do. I expect it to be a good performer in NSW slow combat. Motor is to be a Thunder tiger 15

Regards

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27398.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	744365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87423.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	744366  
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 AM
cutaway

If it flies as well as a stock VooDoo I'd be pretty happy.

The original (and quite ancient and tattered) AeroModeler plans I've got showed the C/G about 1/4" rear of the LE which seems kinda forward. The Davis plan shows you making a 1/8" ply elevator horn (I'm not going to do that) with 3 holes in it all pretty close to the elevator, I imagine he was going for lots of throw with a slightly nose heavy trim if the plans are really the way they were being built.

Other flying wings I've flown that were nose heavy were real pigs in the air until balanced right
Old 08-21-2007, 03:36 PM
cutaway

The Dominator completed.