Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Stick/tissue Comet acetate canopies

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Stick/tissue Comet acetate canopies

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick/tissue Comet acetate canopies

Whenever I try to fab one of those acetate canopies from the little sheet that comes with an old Comet kit I make a complete hash of it even when cutting it perfectly. Is there some magic trick to these I've not learned, or is this just a near impossible thing to accomplish and have look nice?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stick/tissue Comet acetate canopies

Nowadays, you don't have to deal with them.

It's quite easy to mock up a balsa or even foam canopy plug and heat shrink a piece of 2 litre pop bottle. You've got an excellent substitute and the means to make a replacement if you need one later. Matter of fact, make a couple while you have the heatgun and everything setup.

You'll be amazed at how easy it is.
Most canopy shapes are very simple to make a plug for.
The plastic in pop bottles heat shrinks about like UltraCote.
And it takes no magic skills.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 AM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stick/tissue Comet acetate canopies

I'll give the pop bottle thing a whirl. I'm doing one of the Navy Avengers - which is a bit longish, but I'll need a much larger one too later on. I've blown up the Comet plans and am building a .29/.35 sized profile Avenger using them as a rough guide to design from.

I'll post some pics of the C/L Avenger when it gets a bit further along. Right now I've just got the fuselage and elevator built. Still trying to decide if I want to go with a normal sheeted LE and spars deal or an I-beam for the wing...leaning towards the I-beam, but still not sure.