Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Suggestions for new plane. >

Suggestions for new plane.

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Suggestions for new plane.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for new plane.

The first plane I had must have been at LEAST ten years old. I found it in some boxes that my step-dad had that must have been from one of my step-brothers.
Anyway, it looked like a Cessna, and was by Cox.
This was about 23 years ago I think.
I ended up getting it running, and was hooked. Gas (nitro fuel I know now), and something that can fly? Oh hell yeah! I was hooked.
I ended up getting a Stuka Dive Bomber control line about a month latter (it even had a third string to release a plastic lead weighted bomb. I think I was 12 at the time, and that was the coolest thing ever), and I was pretty good at it, never had a crash, and always could land it.
Anyway, for some reason I stopped flying, and can't remember why.
I want to start flying again, and have thought about geting an RC, but decided that since it has been so long, maybe I should start from the very beginning again. I do RC Nitro buggies and trucks now, so I am familiar with nitro.
What would all of you suggest for a noob, returning after such a long time?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Default RE: Suggestions for new plane.

If you're of a mind to build something from scratch/kit , [link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=8108]the Magician is a very capable intermediate airplane that isn't too complicated[/link]. With the C/G forward, its gentle enough to be a trainer, moved back it can fly the whole AMA stunt pattern.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the advice cutaway. I was kind of thinking a plastic/polymer pre-built ready-to-fly kit, with engine and everything included.
I am leary of trying to build anything like that, since I never was to good with that.
If that is the way I have to go, then so be it.
I was just kind of looking for something right out of box, for now that is.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then go to the Tower/Gt Planes website and check out their ARF CL models. They have some good choices. Flite Streak, Nobler, TutorII, and a Score. They have kit/engine combos listed along with kit alone.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't flown one but my customers telll me the Sig Akrobat is a good next step that can be set up either as an intro to stunting or can do most of the Pattern manouvers.
The Flite Streak is another that comes to mind. Both of these airframes are profile so only the wing needs to be built then covered.
There are also the Brodak ARF's.
Do you already have an engine to use?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Calin666,

There are several excellent CL fliers in the SLC area. One thing you'll learn - and enjoy - is the open friendliness and helpfulness of other CL fliers. After all, the model is way over there, and you have the handle where you are. It helps to have someone to hold your model until you are ready to take off... And, if the other guy has a lot of experience, that is a great help and shortcut for you to get started right. Local hobby shops might know these guys, how to get in touch with them, or, perhaps, where they fly. If you can locate where and when they fly, they'll welcome your visit. (Only exceptions might be in the middle of a contest in progress, or if they are practicing intensely for an upcoming meet. Even then, they'll welcome your visit as much as those conditions allow.)

An experienced fellow flier is also a great reassurance as you come up against that first flight. You can expect a thorough check-over of your model, and discussion of the good and less-than that's there. If you're both willing, the more currently experienced guy might be willing to give it a test flight to make sure - and make you more confident that it will fly well. He can also catch anything that needs further adjustment or whatever before you go for it. Such things happen, even to very experienced fliers, so it's not a knock or insult to go through things like this. Flying buddies might also offer to give you some "dual" time on a well-trimmed model. For instance, he might take such a model off, get it settled down, then with both of you holding the handle, go round with you to be sure you feel what's necessary, and can handle it. (He can ease off his control inputs as you get the hang of it, while still being ready to resume control if the model decides to bite you - or the ground...) (Also, two at the center is more dizzying and work than one, so if you have no trouble with that, it will be easier to fly solo.)

Building, with the modern kits, is much easier than in the days when I started. Back then, either the wood was crushed brutally in supposed "die-cutting" or you had to cut the pieces out of sheets of wood with the shapes printed on in ink. So many kits are laser-cut these days, that that ordeal is old history. The usual kits today also have much better wood and fairly complete building instructions. Discussing how to build with an experienced flying buddy is a way to learn not only how, but to not be intimidated by the idea.

There's nothing like it, for me, to fly a model I've actually built most of, rather than shaking the pieces out of a box and stuffing them together. Not knocking the ARFs or quick-build planes available today - remember, I go back to the days when there was no such thing... It's just an added joy in the hobby to me.

CL fliers go around in the best of circles...