Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Found two old control line planes in the trash today >

Found two old control line planes in the trash today

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Found two old control line planes in the trash today

Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found two old control line planes in the trash today

Oddly enough, I was on my way out to the flying field when I saw a huge yard sale going on. I didn't have time to stop, but remember thinking it might be worth while to see if they had any model airplane related stuff there, because often you can find some interesting deals on vintage stuff at such events. I went to the field, flew, then on the way back noticed that two old control line planes were tossed into a pile of trash by the side of the road. I asked the owner if it was trash, and they said "go ahead, grab whatever you want." One is an old Sterling Ringmaster with an Enya 35, and the other is slightly smaller with rounded wingtips, and I think it has an Enya .15. That's what I thought was odd, both had engines, landing gear, the old wooden, rounded props installed, and still have all the cables and rigging hooked up. Granted, they're both in pretty rough shape, and for some reason both are missing the horizontal stab yet still have the elevators. The Ringmaster might be able to be saved, but the other one could be as well despite a snapped main wing. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them, since I've only been into R/C stuff. Actually, I did do C/L way back when with the old Cox plastic jobs, but that was when I was like 10. Is there any point in messing with control line nowadays, or should I just throw them in my trash?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Found two old control line planes in the trash today

Must be a day of old model airplane give aways/yard sales and throw aways. I had a similar experience today. I drove to the gas station today to gas up for tomorrow's trip to the flying field and on the way home a spotted a rather large model airplane and a couple of wings leaning against the garage door of another gas station. I pulled in and got out to inspect the airplane and wings and saw that the airplane and wings were indeed old RC stuff from the late 60s or early 70's. The wings were covered with worn and torn silkspan and the fuse was fiberglass similar to an old pattern plane. The airplane could have easily been fixed and put back into service but the tiny control surfaces and weight of the various components kind of turned me off. The lady behind the cash register said if I wanted the stuff to make her an offer,. I just said "No thanks" and drove home. In your case, that Ringmaster could be fun to re-furbish and fly again just for grins!![8D]
Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 AM

I didn't realize there was a C/L forum here, is there a way to move this thread there? Those guys would probably have more experience with the models.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Moved to the Control Line Forum.

Ken
Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're finding stuff like that, there might be more around that's actually in use. Ask at the local hobby shop if any customers buy C/L stuff regularly. Most of the guys I fly with (R/C at 3 different clubs) have no idea there is an active bunch of C/L flyers around here. And that includes some of the guys who fly at the park that has a couple of circles tucked over in the corner.

You'd be surprised.

Fix up that Ringmaster and find some lines. You'd also be surprised and maybe even a bit pleased to go around in circles again. When you get dizzy, just do a lazy 8 or two.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Turns out the Ringmaster has a Fox 35, I started it up and it runs great, lots of power too. The other plane has a throttled Enya .19. It has some wierd 3rd cable setup to run the throttle, very strange! I didn't know they did throttled control line back in the old days. The construction used Ambroid glue, the bodies are painted, and the wings are covered with Monokote (of all things) I just bought a bunch of silkspan and was wondering if anyone finishes them that way. I'll try to get some pics up.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tommygun
...I just bought a bunch of silkspan and was wondering if anyone finishes them that way.
Yes!

George
Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 PM

The one with the throttled .15 is most likely a carrier plane. Back in the day, they had competitions where they would take off from a deck, fly as fast as the plane could go, fly as slow as it could go, then land back on the deck. I have a carrier kit that I purchased of eBay a couple of years ago, but I haven't built it yet.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:08 AM

The Fox 35 is an iron piston motor so be sure to run it on fuel with around 25-28% percent castor oil. Some folks claim to get by on less but most seem to have good success with this ratio. Using some of the modern all synthetic blends with total oil content below 20% will probably result in a shortened engine life. Also if it has set around for years make sure the rod isn't frozen on the wrist-pin. It will run in this condition but the wrist-pin holes in the piston will wear out quickly. This is easy to check on a Fox 35. Just remove the backplate and see if you can slide the rod back and forth on the wrist-pin.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Turns out the Ringmaster has a Fox 35, I started it up and it runs great, lots of power too. The other plane has a throttled Enya .19. It has some wierd 3rd cable setup to run the throttle, very strange! I didn't know they did throttled control line back in the old days. The construction used Ambroid glue, the bodies are painted, and the wings are covered with Monokote (of all things) I just bought a bunch of silkspan and was wondering if anyone finishes them that way. I'll try to get some pics up.

Tommygun,
NJ is a total hotspot of Control Line activity! from south to north, NYC and Philly, it's crawlin'. Stunt is the most popular, Combat and Scale, then Carrier and Racing (two, three and four up!) and Speed. It all still happens. The Carrier ship sounds like it isn't all that old being a 15 Carrier ship. That event is only about 20 years old. The Ringmaster could be built 10 years ago or 50 years ago since both the kit and the engine are still produced!

What Elwin said about the engines fuel needs is not really a nice to know, it's a mandate. Those old engines will not tolerate low, synthetic oil content. If the 15 is a ringed engine, run it on at least 22 castor. The Fox 25 castor. it's a pain, sticky and messy. But it's paert of the charm.

Did you get the three line handle with the Carrier model too? If so, it's not that hard to figure them out. (Same with the Ringmaster.) You can find those handles on eBay, or Brodak has new ones. look for JRoberts in your search.

I'll try to get some club names around Jersey for you.

Have fun, they are both worth fixing just to have some fun with.

Chris...

Here are some of my C/L ships, Stunter with a PA 61 on a carbon pipe, Tigercat is an Old Timer Scale job, son's p-38 1/2A Profile Scale ship with the same JRoberts 3line bellcrank your ship proably has, his is throttling two Norvel 049's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46254.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1054083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46016.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1054084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31190.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1054085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89644.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1054086  
Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 AM

Looks like a heck of alot of fun[8D].Wow! It's been awhile since I've flown controline (40 years) but I'm ready to try it again![sm=49_49.gif] Shoot, My model aircraft roots originated in control line. I would love to build and fly a Nobler or a Barnstormer again for "Nostalgia sake". Of course I would have to find/purchase a Veco 29/S for power!!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 PM

TopFlight has the ARF Nobler.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 PM

I would love to build and fly a Nobler or a Barnstormer again for "Nostalgia sake"
What are you waiting for? Do it!!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bass1
Looks like a heck of alot of fun[8D].Wow! It's been awhile since I've flown controline (40 years) but I'm ready to try it again![sm=49_49.gif] Shoot, My model aircraft roots originated in control line. I would love to build and fly a Nobler or a Barnstormer again for "Nostalgia sake". Of course I would have to find/purchase a Veco 29/S for power!!
You could probably find a used one on an auction site but the original engine in the Nobler was the Fox .35...which is still available.

If you can step away from the nostalgia part, many are having great success with modern engines like the OS LA series, mostly the .25 and .40, in their Nobler.

George
Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM

I'll have to check around. I used to fly a lot by myself back in the day and made a self launching gizmo with a long heavy duty nail and string that ran through the rear of the fuse that could be pulled to release the airplane. I probably would have to do the same thing as it may be a pain to get launching help when the desire to fly hits. Do you guys set the engine needle/mixture for rich running in level flight and use the natural tendency of the engine to lean out in a climb to get you through vertical maneuvers while keeping a comfortable airspeed? Seems when I was a kid, I just leaned my engines for max which made some maneuvers quite interesting[X(]! Probably explains why I had better flying airplanes(wing loading and airspeed) with the smaller displacement engines on identical airframes.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 AM

I'll pay the shipping. Want my address? I'm getting back into airplanes. I'm starting out with C/L because that's what I know. I have a little R/C park flyer, "Winged Dragon" which I have crashed already. I repaired the wing and am ready for another crash. I did manage to keep it in the air for about 45 seconds. Am I too old (61) to learn R/C? Anyway I'm going to put an Enya .09 in a Cox Hyper Viper and trash the Styrofoam wing. I have plans drawn up for a proper balsa wing. Next month I'm buying a Brodak Oriental ARF and have a new Enya .40 for it. You can probably get some good money for the Fox engines - people swear by them. I consider them disposable engines but what do I know. I have a friend who loves Fox engines and I have to admit they start on the first or second flip.

Some guy have all the luck.

Bill
Old 10-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Shooo brother. I would have said "$10.00?"

Bill
Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 AM

I've done silkspan years ago. Tissue too. Econocoat plastic covering for me now. It's easy and I made a beautful wing my first time out. I think the plastic adds more structural strength also.

Bill
Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Beautiful aircraft!

Bill
Old 10-25-2008, 12:08 PM

Brodak sells a launching "stooge".

Bill
Old 10-26-2008, 12:29 AM

If your in Burlington take the 413 across the river and turn on to State Rd. go through Croydon and look for a sign for the playhouse at Neshaminy park ( left side of State ). The Philly fliers have two circles there and fly when the weather is good and no theater shows on the weekends. Thats the closest bunch, the Garden State cirle burners fly at palisades park pool parking lot or lincoln park I guess both are in Bergen county.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

...I did manage to keep it in the air for about 45 seconds. Am I too old (61) to learn R/C?
Never, Bill. I'm over 60 and I'm presently teaching three over-60's to fly RC right now - they're doing just fine.

For CL flying, I spend most of my time putting nitro through my old Skylarks and P-63, occasionally flying my twin-mustang when the mood strikes me.

Dave
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 AM

Yeah, what Dave just said about age.

Over 60 and of the last 3 students (as far back as I can remember right) two were retired. I'm guessing they were over 60 too, but you couldn't tell it from the way they acted when they soloed.