Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 norvel ame .061 backplate pressure. >

norvel ame .061 backplate pressure.

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

norvel ame .061 backplate pressure.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default norvel ame .061 backplate pressure.

i have a norvel ame .061 and was wondering how to convert it to run on backplpate pressure.
also. any suggestions on a good prop. for this engine?
any info and pictures is greatly appreciated. (:
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM

Default RE: norvel ame .061 backplate pressure.

Is this the version with the venturi the size of a toilet bowl? If so just get a pressure fitting and drill and tap the backplate to match the fitting. Make sure that the fitting is flush on the crank case side, to prevent the connecting rod from hitting it. Also seal the pressure fitting threads.

The other alternative to using a pressure fitting is to use a Pen bladder for pressure.

If it is the one with the small venturi, it won't work well on high pressure.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM

yup. thanks for the help. hmm. any other ways to mod/improve this engine's performance?.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kersplat
Is this the version with the venturi the size of a toilet bowl?
Might you be referring to the AME Zeus? I think it was before the NORVELs and only came in .049 AFAIK.

I THINK the only difference between NORVEL's AME and Big Mig is the cylinder porting. They came in both .049 and .061.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23697.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1070079   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97142.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1070080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77064.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1070081  
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 PM

hmm. the porting is one of the main difference.
as the ame has larger ports. fuel transfer is more efficient. and thus allows it to run at a higher rev as compared to the big mig. which has smaller ports.
oh ya. what are the advantages and disadvantages of backplate pressure and using bladders?.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: zachery
... what are the advantages and disadvantages of backplate pressure and using bladders?.
I will have to defer that question to folks who use it. I use suction or muffler pressure.

As a SWAG, I would try a bladder before going to the trouble of modifying a backplate for pressure. See if it runs well at all on pressure. There should be info on the net for making and using bladders.

What vintage AME do you have? Before the REVLITE versions, the AME and Big Mig came with a brass needle (early) and steel/aluminum (later). The earlier version seems to have a finer thread than the later ones. This may be important when running pressure. The Zeus was made to run on pressure and has a fine thread.

Again, perhaps someone who has run pressure will respond.

George

Edit: Afterthought...you might want to check out some of the NORVEL info (15 pages), or ask the same question on the "1/2A & 1/8A Airplanes" forum. Good folks, very knowledgeable.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gcb

ORIGINAL: zachery
... what are the advantages and disadvantages of backplate pressure and using bladders?.
I will have to defer that question to folks who use it. I use suction or muffler pressure.

As a SWAG, I would try a bladder before going to the trouble of modifying a backplate for pressure. See if it runs well at all on pressure. There should be info on the net for making and using bladders.

What vintage AME do you have? Before the REVLITE versions, the AME and Big Mig came with a brass needle (early) and steel/aluminum (later). The earlier version seems to have a finer thread than the later ones. This may be important when running pressure. The Zeus was made to run on pressure and has a fine thread.

Again, perhaps someone who has run pressure will respond.

George

Edit: Afterthought...you might want to check out some of the NORVEL info (15 pages), or ask the same question on the "1/2A & 1/8A Airplanes" forum. Good folks, very knowledgeable.

My first examples were Zeus type and to pressurize them I took 1/32 brass tubing and drilled the backplate for this. One advantage was that i was able to bring the tube out and up to the base of the cylinder, making it so much more accessable. The final thing is to get a piece of .006 wire and blacken it with a match and insert it into the tube and solder the tip. withdraw the wire and you have a nice .006 thou hole which is just about perfect for pressure.
Oh and if your going to do that use a 4/2 prop and ear protection when you fire it up.
Dennis
Old 11-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Dennis,
i couldnt really get what you were trying to say. if its possible,could you include a few pictures?.
are you refferring to the spraybar or the backplate?.
thanks.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:26 AM

In order to use "bladder pressure", you fill the bladder by the fuel line on the engine. Then you need to clamp the fuel line with something,"I use a hemostat". If you don't the fuel will simply gush out the spray bar before you get the engine started. When you prime the engine for starting, you are ready to start. When the engine starts, you release the hemostat and the engine will scream like you never heard before. The needle setting is usually about 1/2 to 3/4 turns out from closed. Remember with this setup, the engine will not last long.[X(] With great engine speed comes short engine life. If this engine is the one with the nickle plated cylinder, It will mabe last 8 hours running like this.[]
Old 11-15-2008, 04:30 AM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kersplat

In order to use "bladder pressure", you fill the bladder by the fuel line on the engine. Then you need to clamp the fuel line with something,"I use a hemostat". If you don't the fuel will simply gush out the spray bar before you get the engine started. When you prime the engine for starting, you are ready to start. When the engine starts, you release the hemostat and the engine will scream like you never heard before. The needle setting is usually about 1/2 to 3/4 turns out from closed. Remember with this setup, the engine will not last long.[X(] With great engine speed comes short engine life. If this engine is the one with the nickle plated cylinder, It will mabe last 8 hours running like this.[]
Actually that was considered about average life for a 1/2A. Remember that runs were generally no more then 2 minutes with the average tank so you got a few years out of the motor to get that much time on it.
That said you really can get more out of them simply by keeping everything scrupulously clean, filtered fuel, 25% oil no less, and don't run it so lean it bleeds to death.
Dennis
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 AM

err. mine is a ame mk iv .061.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM

If you wont to really want to make that littel guy extreme check this out http://www.toadsrc.com/engines.htm.
The crank and piston mod really make a great difference in rpm!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:39 PM

also take the head off and check the ports. if you count 5 plus the exhaust then its a bigmig, 3 plus exhaust then its an AME.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:55 AM

yeh ive seen it. but i dont have any equipment whatsoever to accomplish it. and im afraid that i might screw up the engine
Old 12-19-2008, 08:40 AM

I did it with just a dremel... my bigmig now turns a 4.5x4 at 25600..... its fun. I cant wait to toadify an AME to see if i can push the 30s like him..
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM

ohh.. okay. wow. thats fast for a big mig.
ill try. and see how it goes. lol.