Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Word of waring on Brodak ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Word of waring on Brodak ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 03:04 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had it in raw kit form so I changed and double hung the bellcrank. Then I got busy and haven't had a chance to work on it all summer though I did repair a couple other airplanes. And now I have rotator cuff surgery in a week so best I can do is get my bench cleaned off and some outdoor chores finished. Got to crunch up some leaves then hook the snow blower on the lawn mower just in case. I won the ARF and I broke the first one I had, that's why I double hung the bellcrank in this one. I'll have my arm back early next year.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:25 AM
AJ Sun

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Gee that’s rough having to get Surgery. I went thru that during that Covid stuff. That was three years ago. And feeling a lot better this year. Got my stugge built. And it works pretty well. My left arm and hand is still a little paralyzed. But I fly right handed. Have to use my left leg to release the Stugge, I have found building the U Controls has helped me a lot. Enjoy that more than flying.AJ
The following users liked this post:
Clean (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 01:57 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just another thing getting in the way of play. Gotta heal that up and go see the doctor about this HIP that doesn't want to play fair. Retired a bit early because I was wearing out at the job, looks like I'll need some spare parts after all. I regret nothing cuzz, that takes a memory and thats shot too!
What were we talking about?
Old 11-04-2023, 04:55 PM
AJ Sun

Clean you hang in there. UC CONTROL is great therapy so you stick with it.AJ
Old 11-24-2023, 02:35 PM
AJ Sun

Well I had another set back stupid me I have a moto saw I’ve owned it for fifty years and managed to cut the heck out of my right thumb 6 stitches, just got them removed today thumb is healing,but still very sore. lucky point I missed the bone. Been doing what I can do, but messing up your thumb is a bummer. Probably will not be able to fly for a while. Glad I enjoy building. Going to finally get a few small items done. To my fleet installing Toung mufflers. And finally getting an electric starter. Might make up a start box to. Been looking for a kit. But I have enough wood to build a custom unit. Might do that!AJ
Old 12-10-2023, 07:36 AM
AJ Sun

Our car club I reciently learned has four maybe five members that are U Control and really would like to get involved again. Never thought about it but I told them about Brodak in Pennsylvania. Well I did a hanger sale this weekend sold some old UC 049 kits I had, to some Kids. Well one of the club members had a super clown. It’s a nice kit but the wing was damaged at the cable lead outs. He bought it at house sale a week ago. I grabbed the two lead outs and the bell crank came loose. Kinda looked like who ever tried to assemble it lost interest. And just plane gave up. The gas tank was installed but the engine mount area was never drilled. And no landing gear I had a extra set of Ringmaster gear that fit. Looks like with a little wing surgery. He will be ready to go.AJ
Old 12-11-2023, 04:37 AM
AJ Sun

Well really enjoying the holiday did that Hanger sale and got enough sold to pay my land tax. And maybe what ever this federal tax this year. Ray called me about the Super Clown and the mount on the bell crank came loose. Sounds like Ray and I will start flying our U Controls if the wind ever stops blowing. He drilled the mount for a McCoy 35 I told him I had lots of 10 inch props in all degrees, we are on retirement pay outs that makes it tough. I was looking at the cost of wood props. Really nice quality but expensive. Hope every body is enjoying the holidaysAJ.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:45 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just thought I would mention that BOTH leadouts pulled out on my Bislob. First was the up line, smashing the ground hard, then the down line pulled out too, from the extra stress. I figured the crimped tubing was to blame... as well as me for not doing the pull test that year. Brodak did nothing about it. The Fox .35 was just starting to lean out. Fuselage is powder. Just a reminder to DO THE PULL TEST. First and last control line ARF for me. I like my RC Twists, but they are over engineered at the wing joint and landing gear mount. Very weak because of too much material removal.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:18 AM
AJ Sun

Default BiSlob

That's interesting I did not know Brodak made a ARF BiSlob. I bought the kit a few falls ago and built it in the winter. It is a great kit. But like all kits I improved some areas. Power is a Fox Stunt 35. I've crashed it three times I've always wrapped my lines with copper wire twin wraps use epoxy on the wrap then apply heat shrink. I use to use wire lead outs they never failed use to buy it from SIg in Montazuma Iowa. They don't sell it any more. So I went to.025 lead out stainless cable. Brodak sells it. Also been using the center slip connectors on my belcrank don't care for the plastic bellcrsnks. I used the Perfect 3 inch bell crank on all my planes. Hard to find these days, great post thank you for your reply Merry Christmas AJ.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:19 AM
AJ Sun

Well yesterday I got to building some shorter control lines. Built a set of 49’ .018. For windy days. Been wanting to do that. All my lines are 60’ in .015 and .018. Counting the bellcrank about 62’ I try to measure from the bell crank to the hard Point handle.AJ
Old 01-02-2024, 06:19 AM
AJ Sun

Well here we are in 2024, day two. Been learning how to use a bore scope, harbor freight model, nice unit, and plugs into my I pad with a small LED light. Got that ARF Top Flight Nobler. Ran the scope down the Fuselage and was very surprised to see no glue at all,but a few shiny spots on the wood, maybe CA. All little spots. Wonder just how many TF Noblers are still flying? Wish some circle guys would post, been really quiet sense 2009.AJ
The following users liked this post:
Clean (01-02-2024)