Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Different backing on ULTRACOTE

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Different backing on ULTRACOTE

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 07:37 AM
jt12076

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Different backing on ULTRACOTE

I ordered 3 ea. of red ultracote covering and all three have a different backing (not the protective paper). One has a silver backing, the other 2 do not. One of those 2 has a tacky feel to it while the other did not. Do I have 3 different products for different applications or what? I didn't realize they were different until I opened the the 2nd roll. The first had the silver backing and I used it to cover the fuselage which went fine. The 2nd roll had the tacky backing and it seems to not stick all that well on the wing. Before I finish the wink with the 3rd roll I want to make sure I'm using the correct version of ULTRACOTE. Any thoughts on what I have for coverings?
Old 03-20-2021, 12:18 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

There used to be a product called "Ultracote Plus" that had low tack stick back so it wouldn't move around while you were ironing it down,,,, maybe that's what you have
Old 03-20-2021, 07:53 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, if the paper label/product information all say "Ultracote"....The product is more generally know by the rest of the world as "Oracover". I think originally made in Germany. But likely not any more. My guess is you have rolls of wildly varying ages. Some of my oldest stock, going on 30 years, isn't as "sticky" as newer anymore. You may want to look for a brush on heat sealing helper, like "Stick-It" that you coat the surface with first, let dry, and then put the Ultracote down on. Essentially extra heat activated glue....More importantly, do all the rolls color match? While there can be slight differences between production runs, Ultracote is pretty standardized. So if the color variation is pretty noticeable, you may have gotten a substitute....
Old 03-22-2021, 06:19 AM
jt12076

Thanks for the info. The colors on all 3 rolls match very well. The labels are all identical as well. I'm waiting to hear from the supplier, HANGER 9, to see what they have to say before I continue with the covering. This is my first time using this covering and only the 2nd plane I've done with the plastic covering.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:22 AM
jt12076

I was thinking I might have different versions of the covering for different applications, but all the labels were identical. The colors match as well. I'm waiting to hear from HANGER 9, where I bought them, to see what they have to say.,
Old 03-31-2021, 09:53 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tedsander
Well, if the paper label/product information all say "Ultracote"....The product is more generally know by the rest of the world as "Oracover". I think originally made in Germany. But likely not any more.
Actually Oracover and Oratex are alive and well and still made in Leipzig. They make a line of covering materials and tapes for general aviation too. I saw a Fokker DR.1 replica covered in their stuff it was beautiful!

https://www.oracover.de/film
Old 04-01-2021, 04:38 AM
jt12076

Thanks for the info. I contacted the retailer here in the US, HORIZON HOBBY, and their tech support guy, who seemed quite knowledgeable, didn't have an explanation for my experience, They sent me 2 new rolls ,at no cost, and the 2 new ones matched the roll with the non-silver and non-tacky backing, They worked great.