Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

In the salt chuck

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

In the salt chuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 01:38 PM
TurboOtter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the salt chuck

Well I dropped my Apache into the Saltchuck last nigt. Engine problem!!. Got it out in 10 minutes and dropped the reciever into fresh water right away. Hitec 455 servos are quite water tight, they were dry inside. cleaned up everything with ACF 50. I don't hold much hope for the reciever after a salt water dunking but the rest should be ok. It was the water or a pile of steel beams. I think I got off easy:-)
Old 05-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Ronaldcorb

Default Re: In the salt chuck

Originally posted by TurboOtter
...cleaned up everything with ACF 50.
Sorry about the mishap. I think you made the right choise. water over steal.

Question: What is ACF 50? I assume it is a cleaner of some type but I have never herd of it. Always looking for something beter.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:19 PM
TurboOtter
My Feedback: (1)

ACF 50 Is a cleaner/anticorrosive. Lear Chemical Research http://www.learchem.com/We use it extensivley on our full size floatplanes. Sunk a Beaver a few years back and used a few gallons of on radios, wiring etc. (still cost the insurance company $90,000 to replace that radio package:-(
Old 05-19-2002, 04:13 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I wonder how many folks know what the salt chuck is.....
Old 05-19-2002, 06:36 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default salt chuck

I have a friend of mine who is an expert fishing guide in the Gulf of Mexico. He told me if they drop a piece of electronics in the salt water, they wash it good, fill it with WD40 and let it set for a day. sometime the unit might be 3 or 4 thousand dollar depth finder or sounder.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Unstable

When I did electronics repair we used to have this stuff that would clean/dry/protect everything electronics that wouldnt harm anything on the circuit board. it was called blue stuff... they stopped making it because it was not good for the enviroment... humans...or any other living thing. but it was great for TVs and VCRs

I *think* they put out another formula but it isnt the same... this stuff would take off the crud from 10 years of smokers (if you ever opened up a old radio that resided in a smokers house you know what im talking about) on a TV main board and not even hurt the labels

maybe its still available in another country... but im not sure.